Confirmed with Link: [TBL/VGK] Gusev, 2017 2nd, 2018 4th to select Garrison in 2017 Vegas Expansion Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
do you have salary or anyone have salary numbers the team or teams picking up guys has to hit?

i think that is a huge factor and 1000000000 percent with hose even if lose two guys and both are d you leave certain guys out there so if a team takes one or both it helps us cap wise in the future

its just business and if we have a down year we will work it out

keep in mind i think masin is a stud and is ready for early call up myself so we got sustr nestea koekkoek and probably masin early for year 2017

id be ok losing both garrison and coburn in that situation and just signing a free agent for one of them if lost both for a two year deal

masin is gonna be a guy who moves up fast imho ready fast
We are going to have to protect hedman , deangelo and koekkoek those guys will be past two years for pro hockey by the summer of 2017.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
The way I see it Johnson, palat, kucherov, vladdy namestnikov, Killorn, drouin and Erne. Then hedman , koekkoek and deangelo goalie vasy.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
As much as players may not like it, NTC's/NMC's are gonna have to be waived in an expansion.

Teams like Minnesota that handed out so many NTC's/NMC's can't be burned by all these players hogging all the protection spots. The onus behind putting so many players on deals like that was to win a Stanley Cup. What's the option? NOT go after a guy like Suter, Parise and Vanek and watch them play with somebody else? My heart goes out to the Wild fans and to Chuck Fletcher, who did EVERYTHING he could to build a winner. If you're serious about winning a championship, you sign those guys. Now granted, Fletcher went overboard but that does not mean the Wild deserve to be punished for it. Free agent players and their agents have manipulated the market so much that GM's literally have no choice in the matter. If they want a NTC or NMC they get one. It is so commonplace nowadays.

Without an NTC I bet you Filppula doesn't sign here as a free agent and without an NMC I bet you Callahan doesn't come back -and that was AFTER Marty St. Louis used his clause to force a trade to ONE TEAM only. That situation was toxic at best.

I'm sorry but the players on NTC's and NMC's are usually very well paid to begin with and would survive a trade just fine. I'll be damned if we lose an important piece of the team because we "have to" protect Filppula instead of another player who doesn't go a month between goals.

Either the NHLPA will waive on these NTC's/NMC's or there will be no expansion. The NHL government has ALL the leverage here and cannot afford to be soft on the subject. You CANNOT screw over teams into losing their young, cost controlled assets who were drafted and developed to be the long term future of the team while the veterans who came along in free agency stick out their tongues and say, "Nanny nanny boo boo you can't trade me!"

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
The way I see it Johnson, palat, kucherov, vladdy namestnikov, Killorn, drouin and Erne. Then hedman , koekkoek and deangelo goalie vasy.

Flyers fan chiming in.

From what I understand and what was clarified by Dreger today (Ehlers is exempt in 2017, Nylander not, likely due to half AHL year last year) if expansion is in June 2017:

DeAngelo=Exempt (he would still be in his 2nd pro year)

Koekkoek=Needs protecting (he would be in 3rd pro year)
Vasilevskiy=Needs protecting (he would be in 3rd pro year)
Drouin=Needs protecteing (he would be in 3rd pro year)

Just to give some examples. Grey area now is we don't seemingly know just how many games/time on pro roster constitutes a 'pro season'... if it is as low as 10 or higher.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Say Las Vegas comes in do they have to hit the salary cap floor ? If they do it would be nice if they took Callahan off our hands ?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Callahan has to be protected because of his NMC. Since this will be before July 1st and I'm not familiar with how Filpulla's limited NTC works he may need to be protected same goes for Stralman, Coburn and Garrison. With Garrison I have to think his would've been removed when we acquired him and not sure if Coburn has one in his new deal. If you have to protect those players then that will hurt who we protect but so maybe we have put Killorn out there and hope he's the one they take.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Callahan has to be protected because of his NMC. Since this will be before July 1st and I'm not familiar with how Filpulla's limited NTC works he may need to be protected same goes for Stralman, Coburn and Garrison. With Garrison I have to think his would've been removed when we acquired him and not sure if Coburn has one in his new deal. If you have to protect those players then that will hurt who we protect but so maybe we have put Killorn out there and hope he's the one they take.
Really according to Bill Daly I thought those guys did not have to be protected ?

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
If we want to protect 10 players they limit us to 7F/3D. So this means lose Stralman or don't protect two more players? Or are Koekkoek and Tony D safe (no/very few NHL games)?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Is there a cap on how many players a team can lose?

I don't see us getting looted while other teams dodge the bullet. We'll probably lose somebody who hurts a bit, but we'll be okay. It might force our hand to move Flip or Callahan though, to open up a protected spot.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Is there a cap on how many players a team can lose?

I don't see us getting looted while other teams dodge the bullet. We'll probably lose somebody who hurts a bit, but we'll be okay. It might force our hand to move Flip or Callahan though, to open up a protected spot.
Can only lose two total players off our team if two expansion teams enter the league the same year. If only one team comes we can only lose one player total.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
If we want to protect 10 players they limit us to 7F/3D. So this means lose Stralman or don't protect two more players? Or are Koekkoek and Tony D safe (no/very few NHL games)?

based on the talks so far tony d would be safe in his first year i believe in pros ahl

koekkoek is not safe hes got two years so thats why said protect stralman id hate to lose stralman seriously

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Best (likely) case scenario: teams have to protect players on NMCs, but not those who will be impending free agents that summer. In addition we'll assume that Filppula has a NTC and not a NMC at that point (he's listed as having both and nobody seems to know the details.) We protect:

Callahan (NMC)
Kucherov
Palat
Johnson
Namestnikov
Stamkos
Drouin

(If Stamkos and/or Drouin is no longer with the team then we probably add some combination of Killorn, Erne, and/or Peca. Hopefully there will be a rule requiring drafted AHL players to spend the entire season with their new NHL club or be available to be retaken by their original team, in order to keep AHL rosters from being raided to produce a ridiculously talented farm system while the pro team tanks for years; if this happens then maybe we take a chance on leaving Erne and Peca available and protect somebody like Brown.)

Hedman
Stralman
Koekkoek

Vasy

(Almost) worst case scenario: impending UFAs with NMCs still have to be protected, and Filppula has an NMC and thus joins the auto-protect list:

Callahan (NMC)
Filppula (NMC)
Kucherov
Palat
Johnson
Namestnikov
Stamkos or Drouin?

If neither Stamkos nor Drouin is still with the team we go to one of the alternate choices from the previous list.

Hedman
Stralman
Koekkoek

Bishop (NMC, and we better pray that he resigns or we lose both him and Vasy)

Absolute worst case scenario: NTCs have to be protected as well. Not even going to make a list - I'll just metaphorically slit my wrists and never watch the NHL again.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Best (likely) case scenario: teams have to protect players on NMCs, but not those who will be impending free agents that summer. In addition we'll assume that Filppula has a NTC and not a NMC at that point (he's listed as having both and nobody seems to know the details.) We protect:

Callahan (NMC)
Kucherov
Palat
Johnson
Namestnikov
Stamkos
Drouin

(If Stamkos and/or Drouin is no longer with the team then we probably add some combination of Killorn, Erne, and/or Peca. Hopefully there will be a rule requiring drafted AHL players to spend the entire season with their new NHL club or be available to be retaken by their original team, in order to keep AHL rosters from being raided to produce a ridiculously talented farm system while the pro team tanks for years; if this happens then maybe we take a chance on leaving Erne and Peca available and protect somebody like Brown.)

Hedman
Stralman
Koekkoek

Vasy

(Almost) worst case scenario: impending UFAs with NMCs still have to be protected, and Filppula has an NMC and thus joins the auto-protect list:

Callahan (NMC)
Filppula (NMC)
Kucherov
Palat
Johnson
Namestnikov
Stamkos or Drouin?

If neither Stamkos nor Drouin is still with the team we go to one of the alternate choices from the previous list.

Hedman
Stralman
Koekkoek

Bishop (NMC, and we better pray that he resigns or we lose both him and Vasy)

Absolute worst case scenario: NTCs have to be protected as well. Not even going to make a list - I'll just metaphorically slit my wrists and never watch the NHL again.
We are not going to have that issue with bishop his final year is next year and expansion starts in the 2017-2018 season not the 2016-2017 season. Gm"s all wanted that due to they want one full year to prep for it.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
We are not going to have that issue with bishop his final year is next year and expansion starts in the 2017-2018 season not the 2016-2017 season. Gm"s all wanted that due to they want one full year to prep for it.

If the draft happens in June 2017, then as I understand it technically Bishop is still under contract with the Lightning, as the league year and free agency start on July 1st. In addition the league said that first and second year players would be protected, and this was clarified to mean players who just finished their second pro season (since their third year wouldn't start officially until July 1st). It's a strange gray area where the players aren't getting paid and no games are taking place, but it's still technically part of the 2016-17 year in a legal/financial sense for the league.

Don't get me wrong: I'm certainly hopeful that the league will clarify that for the purposes of the draft, movement clauses and unrestricted free agent statuses will be considered to be that of July 1 immediately following the draft, but unless I'm mistaken about June still being part of the previous year for contractual purposes it's a clarification that will have to be made.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
The goalie situation will be an interesting one. Ben doesn't show any signs of slowing down over the next few seasons and is in goalie prime in terms of age. He's not young but not super old. Vasi is young and shows flashes of #1 material but just isn't there yet. In a few years everyone see's him as our #1. Either way we lose an amazing goalie, we either lose our future or possibly rush our future too soon and it doesn't work out.

You protect Vasi at all costs. Period.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Meh don't think the NHL is going to mess with the NMC. Players fought hard to get those and thinking of their families with job security. Would be really ****ed up if they ignore the NMC.

Last edited:

MrClutch86

Aug 23, 2013
Tampa
I think the NHL is being way too generous to the expansion teams.
Leaving almost half of every team unprotected is lame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad