Value of: TBL Tyler Johnson to Anaheim for 9th overall

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
oh hey, remember how you wanted to trade all our prospects and players away because they were crap and we have to completely rebuild? now you want to move a top 10 pick just because that prospect won't be in the NHL for possibly two years. And you want to trade that pick for a 28 year old signed for 5 more years who is by no means a game changer. You think he's going to help this team compete when he couldn't do that with Tampa? get real.

mods need to close this.

You obviously need to check his stats. You obviously need to understand Ducks depth at center. You obviously need to understand Ducks last in the league of goal scoring. You obviously need to understand no one on this team can effectively replace Getzlaf including Sam steel In the next two years.

There’s a reason why people ignore you on these boards. Because your logic is always clueless.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
And wait two years on Zegras at 9? While Getzlaf retires and we Rely on Sam steel as the first line center? No thanks.
so we should rely on 30 year old 50 point center Tyler Johnson as our #1 center? and that point total is on a tampa team with much better line mates than he would have here. We're better off not selling off our future for decent top 6 players for no reason.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
How so? Anaheim gains a top 6 Center signed at a reasonable rate long term. Look at Columbus blue jackets trade for one year of Duchene. Top 6 centers don’t grow on trees as you can obviously see in the open market.

Kids only 28 signed to a good deal. And has proven playoff success as well as regular season.

Appreciate the post though. You posted nothing of your reasoning mate.

Tyler Johnsson is a good player but just because somebody is a good player that doesn't mean you give up a top 10 pick for him especially when you know Tampa HAS to move salary

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
so we should rely on 30 year old 50 point center Tyler Johnson as our #1 center? and that point total is on a tampa team with much better line mates than he would have here. We're better off not selling off our future for decent top 6 players for no reason.

Nailed it dude. Johnson is a good player but his numbers are inflated a little. Plus, Anaheim needs younger and a guy with more of an upside. Getzlaf still has a few very good years left in him, imo, and rather see them draft a top center who will eventually replace Getz at 1C. Some of these guys like Steel, Terry and Jones are looking promising and have to run with the young guys. I think taking Johnson will turn out to be an issue a couple of years down the road when he hits 30 yo, especially for that price.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
You obviously need to check his stats. You obviously need to understand Ducks depth at center. You obviously need to understand Ducks last in the league of goal scoring. You obviously need to understand no one on this team can effectively replace Getzlaf including Sam steel In the next two years.

There’s a reason why people ignore you on these boards. Because your logic is always clueless.
His stats? ok, 1 point in 4 games this season, 8 in 17 (3 goals) last year. He's had 2 strong playoffs, and that was 2-3 years ago, his best season was the 2014-2015 season; and I'm sure Tampa fans can shed a little more light on why he was never able to post those kind of numbers again. Our depth at center? Getz, Henrique, Shore, Rowney as our 4 current NHL centers. With Steel, Terry, Lundestrom as prospect, all of which looked good down the stretch. You do know who Johnson played with this season right? Let's just say he won't be getting the same playmaking help on this team (especially with the wingers you posted). Our goal scoring issue came from Randy mostly, not the players. Not many players can replace a player like Getzlaf (a 19th overall pick btw), maybe whoever we draft at 9th can become that, maybe Steel takes a leap and becomes an effect top line center. We don't know yet, and teams don't trade away that kind of potential for an average top 6 player. But you know who isn't a top line center? Johnson. Why do you want to add salary for a player that is just a slightly better Henrique?

There's a reason you're mocked on the Ducks board all the time, nothing you say ever makes sense and is always detrimental to the team's present or future (depending on the day).

kegluu

Jan 30, 2016
It really isn’t. Sorry you don’t see that. Ones signed for the next 5 years at 5 million over a .5 ppg this season. Duchene is UfA 73 games 70 points this season. Which I already argued what he fetched.

Why am I overpaying for an extra 15 or
So points on a UFA who’s obviously wanting a new massively overpaid contract this off season.

Value shows Tyler Johnson is worth that Trade, as he’s cost controlled and produces at a reasonable number just below Duchene by a few points?

When traded Duchene had 58pts in 50 games. That is 90+ pace. TJ did not reach 58 pts in last 4 full seasons.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
In case anyone is curious Johnson got his 47 points this year playing on a line with Brayden Point and Nikita Kucherov.

He has pretty much been an invincible player without Kuch and I would be surprised if he hit 40 points on the ducks. He is terrible defensively as well.

You can have him though. Definitely wouldn’t mind.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018

He’s 28 years old. How are you number jumping to 30 years old???

Are you talking after Getzlaf retires?

Yes throw em Rakell and Silfverberg and see the magic happen. And no that’s false. Tyler Johnson hasn’t played with a first pairing of what Anaheim has to offer. Johnson was playing a fricken second line roll on the right wing side with Palat and brayden point.

Tyler Johnson is versatile. Bring him back to center. And he’s worth every penny of that 9th overall pick here In Anaheim. I especially like the idea of him with Kase on a line.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
In case anyone is curious Johnson got his 47 points this year playing on a line with Brayden Point and Nikita Kucherov.

He has pretty much been an invincible player without Kuch and I would be surprised if he hit 40 points on the ducks. He is terrible defensively as well.

You can have him though. Definitely wouldn’t mind.

False. Your line combinations say otherwise. Nice try though on your line combinations.

Team Line Combinations

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
He’s 28 years old. How are you number jumping to 30 years old???

Are you talking after Getzlaf retires?

Yes throw em Rakell and Silfverberg and see the magic happen. And no that’s false. Tyler Johnson hasn’t played with a first pairing of what Anaheim has to offer. Johnson was playing a fricken second line roll on the right wing side with Palat and brayden point.

Tyler Johnson is versatile. Bring him back to center. And he’s worth every penny of that 9th overall pick here In Anaheim. I especially like the idea of him with Kase on a line.
Yes after Getz's contract is up (I don't know if he will out right retire by then, may pull a Thornton). Johnson would not help us in the playoffs since he hardly helped Tampa. You're only wanting him because you don't want to see Steel as a 1C, so logically Johnson is the only guy left to take that spot.

You think he would do better with Rakell and Silf than Kucherov and Point, and yes he played with them a majority of the season. Tampa Bay Lightning Line Combinations | Tampa Bay Lightning Line Combos | leftwinglock.com

Johnson even on offensive juggernaut that is Tampa hardly outscored Henrique this season. You're wrong on countless points once again. Teams do not trade top 10 picks for 50 point players in their late 20s; especially teams like Anaheim who get their best players through the draft.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Yes after Getz's contract is up (I don't know if he will out right retire by then, may pull a Thornton). Johnson would not help us in the playoffs since he hardly helped Tampa. You're only wanting him because you don't want to see Steel as a 1C, so logically Johnson is the only guy left to take that spot.

You think he would do better with Rakell and Silf than Kucherov and Point, and yes he played with them a majority of the season. Tampa Bay Lightning Line Combinations | Tampa Bay Lightning Line Combos | leftwinglock.com

Johnson even on offensive juggernaut that is Tampa hardly outscored Henrique this season. You're wrong on countless points once again. Teams do not trade top 10 picks for 50 point players in their late 20s; especially teams like Anaheim who get their best players through the draft.

Which you’re wrong again. Ducks do trade for top players, hence Pronger. Teemu Selanne. Ducks aren’t going to stand and wait for Zegras with a 9th overall pick while Tyler Johnson is available. And Getzlaf is on a downwards spiral.

Sam Steel can’t carry this team, Zegras can’t, Henrique sure as hell cant. The center position is utter shit when Getzlaf isn’t at his peak.

That’s why I made this thread. Great debating and great communication regarding the position at large.

And I would trade for Tyler Johnson.

Edit: Stop editing your post. Anaheim Does make some big splashes on big names. I just noticed that mate of what I quoted.

Last edited:

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Which you’re wrong again. Ducks do trade for top players, hence Pronger. Teemu Selanne. Ducks aren’t going to stand and wait for Zegras with a 9th overall pick while Tyler Johnson is available. And Getzlaf is on a downwards spiral.

Sam Steel can’t carry this team, Zegras can’t, Henrique sure as hell cant. The center position is utter **** when Getzlaf isn’t at his peak.

That’s why I made this thread. Great debating and great communication regarding the position at large.

And I would trade for Tyler Johnson.
I never said the ducks don’t trade for top players.

Again, why do you think Johnson is some missing piece? He’s an average player and couldn’t do anything in the playoffs with a much better team.

Ducks will wait for their prospects, that’s exactly what we do. That’s what good teams do, they wait for their high potential prospects to develop. By your logic we should have traded the pick we got Lindholm with for a 50 point average player because it took Lindholm some years to get into the league. And Getz is far from being on a downward spiral, that’s an hilarious wrong take.

And again, you think Johnson is going to carry this team in his 30s? He couldn’t do that with Tampa at his peak.

What does your last sentence even mean? You want to trade a top 10 pick for a 50 point player (slightly better Henrique) to help this team win in the playoffs (when our best player is on a downward spiral), and to also carry this team when Getz is done when he couldn’t do that with Tampa at his peak? You have literally zero patience for prospects, absolutely none. Your premise is flawed, and the fact that Tampa fans are shoving Johnson on the next flight to Anaheim, while every other Ducks fan is saying no just shows how bad your idea is (like all of your ideas are).

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
I never said the ducks don’t trade for top players.

Again, why do you think Johnson is some missing piece? He’s an average player and couldn’t do anything in the playoffs with a much better team.

Ducks will wait for their prospects, that’s exactly what we do. That’s what good teams do, they wait for their high potential prospects to develop. By your logic we should have traded the pick we got Lindholm with for a 50 point average player because it took Lindholm some years to get into the league. And Getz is far from being on a downward spiral, that’s an hilarious wrong take.

And again, you think Johnson is going to carry this team in his 30s? He couldn’t do that with Tampa at his peak.

What does your last sentence even mean? You want to trade a top 10 pick for a 50 point player (slightly better Henrique) to help this team win in the playoffs (when our best player is on a downward spiral), and to also carry this team when Getz is done when he couldn’t do that with Tampa at his peak? You have literally zero patience for prospects, absolutely none. Your premise is flawed, and the fact that Tampa fans are shoving Johnson on the next flight to Anaheim, while every other Ducks fan is saying no just shows how bad your idea is (like all of your ideas are).

This is the fascinating thing about you mate. You’re sacrificing two legends in Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf for hopefulness of maybe a draft pick will be a 50% of them. We know deep down? That these two players have maximum two years left of good hockey.

Getting Zegras at 9th overall is basically a Max Jones or a Nick Ritchie who’s gonna take some work to groom. Sam Steel? Needs AHL work. Kid can barely break out pass.

At the same time of grooming? I can get a bonafide Tyler Johnson who can make an immediate impact on this roster. Signed on a sweet heart deal of 5 million as a centerman. Also versatile to the wing unlike HENRIQUE!!!! By the fricken way!!!

Which is value. It relieves pressure on the kids to groom. Also relieves pressure on the vets when they leave the ducks in retirement. We have someone there for the next few years.

You’re throwing these kids out to the wolves thinking they ready for top 6 roles. One Getzlaf injury away Sam Steel is first line center over old ass Henrique. This isn’t a starting lineup to go into next year and you know it!!! Don’t lie

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
This is the fascinating thing about you mate. You’re sacrificing two legends in Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf for hopefulness of maybe a draft pick will be a 50% of them. We know deep down? That these two players have maximum two years left of good hockey.

Getting Zegras at 9th overall is basically a Max Jones or a Nick Ritchie who’s gonna take some work to groom. Sam Steel? Needs AHL work. Kid can barely break out pass.

At the same time of grooming? I can get a bonafide Tyler Johnson who can make an immediate impact on this roster. Signed on a sweet heart deal of 5 million as a centerman. Also versatile to the wing unlike HENRIQUE!!!! By the fricken way!!!

Which is value. It relieves pressure on the kids to groom. Also relieves pressure on the vets when they leave the ducks in retirement. We have someone there for the next few years.

You’re throwing these kids out to the wolves thinking they ready for top 6 roles. One Getzlaf injury away Sam Steel is first line center over old ass Henrique. This isn’t a starting lineup to go into next year and you know it!!! Don’t lie
Shakes head in shame

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
It's not so much that Anaheim can get a better player right now, though I do believe they could. But why would you in their situation, trade for a guy who is not going to line up with their rebuild? They need a young core. They've only got a few pieces for the rebuild. If you'd want to move that high of a pick, you'd preferably fill a hole they have in their young nucleus, not a forward the caliber they could get in FA once their old guys are off the books.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

"Old ass Henrique" is 5 months older than Tyler Johnson.

Reactions: Rolo and Vipers31

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
This is the first time on HF I've seen an OP argue vehemently for trading more than necessary to get the player he wants.

OP : "I want to trade the 9th overall for Tyler Johnson"

Other posters: "You can get him for less"

OP: "No! I want to trade the 9th overall pick for him, don't try to convince me otherwise!"

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
This thread is hilarious. In all honesty you could probably get him for a 2nd. Tampa needs to sign Point. Lol on trading 9th OV for him. That's just insane.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The next time Johnson plays a game he will be 29. For those saying he's 28. In general, you don't get a top 10 pick for a guy in his very late 20's. Not a Tyler Johnson level player in his late 20's anyway. Especially if a team is moving that sort of player for cap reasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad