Value of: TBL Tyler Johnson to Anaheim for 9th overall

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
So the team that is in the win-now window should trade one of their quality assets in their prime for a pick and the team that is in the midst of a rebuild should trade their pick for a win-now piece? That's not to me toon how bad the value is.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
This is a terrible trade for the Ducks and I am not surprised because of who made the proposal. Ducks need to draft and develop players so we have a brighter future. Tyler Johnson isn't the player we should be trading a top 10 pick for.

Reactions: Spazkat

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Complete list of players traded for top 10 picks (or as part of a package) this decade:

Jeff Carter for Jakub Voracek, 2011 #8 OA (Sean Couturier) and 2011 3rd round pick (Nick Cousins)

Jordan Staal for 2012 #8 OA (Derrick Pouliot), Brandon Sutter and Brian Dumoulin

Cory Schneider 2013 #9 OA (Bo Horvat)

Derek Stepan + Anti Raanta for the #7 OA (Lias Andersson) and Anthony DeAngelo

Kessel and Duchene were both dealt for top 10 picks (in a 3 way package for the latter), but they were unprotected picks that turned into #2, #11 and #4OA respectively.

Last edited:

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
And wait two years on Zegras at 9? While Getzlaf retires and we Rely on Sam steel as the first line center? No thanks.

Wait, I'm confused. Your line of thinking is "we need to trade the 9th overall pick so that we have a decent center to bridge the gap from Getz to our stud prospect" - yet you are trading your stud prospect away to get this bridge....

You can find a stopgap on the UFA market...or via cheaper assets than the 9th overall. This just seems like terrible asset management to me.

PeguffaloSabres

Aug 7, 2011
Still curious if Anaheim can get him over here for that pick or some type of trade with plus or minuses.

Career Playoffs - 68 Games - Goals 24 - Assists 27 - Points totaling 51 with a +/- 10

Regular season stats of 2018-2019 regular season?

80 GP - 29 Goals - 18 assists - 47 points. Also adding a +/- 15

Tyler Johnson is healthy. Only 28 and under contract that the Ducks can afford at 5 million for the next 5 years.

Anaheim will have Getzlaf and Perry off the books soon. And having those numbers at a reasonable deal going forwards makes sense.

Lines you ask? Well here we go for the time being.

Rakell - Getzlaf - Silfverberg
Ritchie - Johnson - Sprong
Jones/Terry - Henrique/Terry/Steel - Perry

Fourth line follows suit of who couldn’t cut top 9.

Decent top 9. Depending on training camp. That forward group looks good imo.

Johnson just fits the mold in Anaheim. Can put up points where we need it desperately.
I'll have what you're having.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
A team that is getting older and too expensive does not trade a top ten pick for a third line center on a long term deal who will be 30 next year.

BPD

Jul 7, 2009
New York City
A team that is getting older and too expensive does not trade a top ten pick for a third line center on a long term deal who will be 30 next year.

Let's at least be somewhat generous; he's a 3rd line center because of Stamkos and Point, not because he's a third line center.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This is a terrible trade for the Ducks and I am not surprised because of who made the proposal. Ducks need to draft and develop players so we have a brighter future. Tyler Johnson isn't the player we should be trading a top 10 pick for.
Agreed. Looking at the age of the Ducks, it's mostly under 30 when you factor in that Eaves was wavied last season, so if the Ducks are able to, they will likely buy him out this June. Kesler seems destined for LTIR with his hip. Leaves Perry and Getzlaf and their final 2 years as the veteran forwards, with Cogs traded already.
Young core of forwards coming up with Steel, Terry, Jones, Comtois, Lundestrom, etc. Ritchie is only 23. Have mid to late guys in their 20's like Rackell, Silf, and Henrique to buffer between Perry/Getzlaf and the young group.
D core is young with Fowler/Manson at 27 and Lindholm at 25. Developing Larsson, Mahura, Guhle.
Gibson is signed long term.

Think the Ducks spend the 19-20 season developing their next core of forwards. Plus, they need one of their younger D to take a step and be a consistent top 4 guy.

Expect them to use their pair of 1st round picks to grab a C and a RHD.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Anaheim needs to rebuild.

9th OA is an important chip in the re-build.

28 (44) year old Tyler Johnson is not a player you re-build around.

Anaheim shouldn't give up either 1st for Tyler Johnson.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
Ducks are in the early stages of a rebuild. They will try to rebuild on the fly. While Johnson is signed for a few more years at 5 mill a year, it is hard to over look the fact that in the lat 4 year he has only gotten 47-50-45-38 pts--if he had 2 60 pts season in that run then I could see the value of the request of the 9th over all. He is playing on a stack team and that helps his stats. Johnson is 28 and while he got 29 goals--he only got 18 assists. When you have a guy like Ovi scoring 50+ goals a year you can ignore the assists. (Ovi had more goals than Johnson pts). Both Perry and Gets are starting to slow down and I think you will see the Ducks move them before they move the 9th over all pick. With Kesler looking like his done and both Getz and Perry 33--Ducks would be better off keeping the 9th pick and offering their second first rounder for Johnson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->