Value of: TBL Tyler Johnson to Anaheim for 9th overall

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
This is the fascinating thing about you mate. You’re sacrificing two legends in Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf for hopefulness of maybe a draft pick will be a 50% of them. We know deep down? That these two players have maximum two years left of good hockey.

Getting Zegras at 9th overall is basically a Max Jones or a Nick Ritchie who’s gonna take some work to groom. Sam Steel? Needs AHL work. Kid can barely break out pass.

At the same time of grooming? I can get a bonafide Tyler Johnson who can make an immediate impact on this roster. Signed on a sweet heart deal of 5 million as a centerman. Also versatile to the wing unlike HENRIQUE!!!! By the fricken way!!!

Which is value. It relieves pressure on the kids to groom. Also relieves pressure on the vets when they leave the ducks in retirement. We have someone there for the next few years.

You’re throwing these kids out to the wolves thinking they ready for top 6 roles. One Getzlaf injury away Sam Steel is first line center over old ass Henrique. This isn’t a starting lineup to go into next year and you know it!!! Don’t lie
I'm not sacrificing anything, I'm just not dumb enough to toss away our future for a player who won't move the needle in the playoffs.

Yeah, a prospect will need time to develop, that's how prospects outside the top 2 normally work. there's absolutely nothing wrong with drafting someone who will take time to develop. You're the only person in the world who thinks it's bad for a prospect to take some time to develop.

Again, Johnson is a 50 point player playing with Kuch and Point; I'd be worried what he would get playing with much worse linemates. Also you realize that Henrique spent time on the wing in NJ right? He's versatile as well, we just need a center more since we have tons of wingers already.

In two years Steel, Lundestrom, Terry should all be ready for bigger minutes in the NHL. One of them should be able to take the 1C role over Getz. If not, we can go with Henrique like we've had to do in the past. Who said anything about throwing them into top 6 roles next season? Rakell-Getz-Perry/Silf, Ritchie-Henrique-Kase can all play in the top 6 for at least the next 2 seasons. The rookies can play on the 3rd line with favorable matchups until they are ready for top 6 roles. We have plenty of forwards, the last thing we need is another long term contract for a non-impact player like Johnson.

If Getz gets injured, our top 6 center core would be Henrique and Shore. Is it amazing? no. Is it bad enough that we have to give up a top 10 pick for a non-impact,non-play driver like Johnson? definitely not. Henrique is also not that much older than Johnson.

Just look at all the responses in this thread, absolutely no one thinks this is a good deal for the Ducks (including Tampa fans); you're just being ignorant as usual.

Reactions: bert

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
we'd be better off using that pick to draft a defensemen since our D prospect pool is getting thin. Also, we just don't have the cap space to add another 5x5 for a guy like Johnson.

Understandable. I just think if you guys still want to go for it while Getzlaf and Perry are still there then that pick would be ideal to add a piece. A defender that late will be 3-4 years away. We could probably take back Eaves or Shore but that's just a one year relief for you.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Understandable. I just think if you guys still want to go for it while Getzlaf and Perry are still there then that pick would be ideal to add a piece. A defender that late will be 3-4 years away. We could probably take back Eaves or Shore but that's just a one year relief for you.
Yeah that piece would bring in some help, but we have a lot of forwards as it is. And we just don’t need to add another long term contract like Johnson when we have a comparable player in Henrique who’s new contract starts next season. OP is the only person who would trade all our picks and prospects because they aren’t immediate impact players for guys in Johnson’s tier. Our prospect pool is getting thinner so I rather us start replenishing and seeing what we have with this roster under a new coach.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Yeah that piece would bring in some help, but we have a lot of forwards as it is. And we just don’t need to add another long term contract like Johnson when we have a comparable player in Henrique who’s new contract starts next season. OP is the only person who would trade all our picks and prospects because they aren’t immediate impact players for guys in Johnson’s tier. Our prospect pool is getting thinner so I rather us start replenishing and seeing what we have with this roster under a new coach.

I don't get why you traded Montour then? Especially for Guhle when you have a similar player in Mahura close to ready as well as Larsson who's another LD. You guys are kinda like us in that you are heavy on forwards, especially on decent contracts, and short on NHL defenders. Doesn't seem like we are good trading partners then.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I don't get why you traded Montour then? Especially for Guhle when you have a similar player in Mahura close to ready as well as Larsson who's another LD. You guys are kinda like us in that you are heavy on forwards, especially on decent contracts, and short on NHL defenders. Doesn't seem like we are good trading partners then.
Your guess is as good as mine. I think Bob had personality issues with Montour and maybe some bad blood happened between the during arbitration.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
How so? Anaheim gains a top 6 Center signed at a reasonable rate long term. Look at Columbus blue jackets trade for one year of Duchene. Top 6 centers don’t grow on trees as you can obviously see in the open market.

Kids only 28 signed to a good deal. And has proven playoff success as well as regular season.

Appreciate the post though. You posted nothing of your reasoning mate.

Duchene is a way better player than Tyler Johnson. Not a comparable situation, on top of that Tampa needs to clear cap space and everyone knows it.

9 is literally Zegras that even Scouts are saying takes atleast 2 years to develop before hitting in the league. Nothing special as well. Look I get it. And you don’t understand the crunch time Anaheim is under. In 2 years both Getzlaf and Perry are gone and retired. Johnson can foot the bill until we re group.

And as a sponsor of these boards? We also have another first in This draft that can make up for the trade. You should know that before knocking a proposal when Columbus potentially gave up 2 first round picks for one year of Duchene

Id do some more research before posting innacuracies and call people out. Its only 2 first if Duchene extends. Its one first that is going to be 19th or later again for a much better player.

As an Anaheim fan you dont have to give up 9th to get Johnson, that should make you happy.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Ducks should be committing to an aggressive rebuild.

Getzlaf, Perryvand Kesler are bad contracts and the team won't be ready to turn the page on them and be a contender again for a few years.

Johnson is the wrong move for them and he makes more sense for a team like the Avs, Sabres or Philly.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Still curious if Anaheim can get him over here for that pick or some type of trade with plus or minuses.

Career Playoffs - 68 Games - Goals 24 - Assists 27 - Points totaling 51 with a +/- 10

Regular season stats of 2018-2019 regular season?

80 GP - 29 Goals - 18 assists - 47 points. Also adding a +/- 15

Tyler Johnson is healthy. Only 28 and under contract that the Ducks can afford at 5 million for the next 5 years.

Anaheim will have Getzlaf and Perry off the books soon. And having those numbers at a reasonable deal going forwards makes sense.

Lines you ask? Well here we go for the time being.

Rakell - Getzlaf - Silfverberg
Ritchie - Johnson - Sprong
Jones/Terry - Henrique/Terry/Steel - Perry

Fourth line follows suit of who couldn’t cut top 9.

Decent top 9. Depending on training camp. That forward group looks good imo.

Johnson just fits the mold in Anaheim. Can put up points where we need it desperately.
That is a whole lot of garbage in this post

Reactions: dracom

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
I like Tyler Johnson a lot, really would love the Hawks to try to trade for him.

But no way in hell are you giving up a top 10 pick for him.

I don’t think I’d give up a top 20 pick for him.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
9 is literally Zegras that even Scouts are saying takes atleast 2 years to develop before hitting in the league. Nothing special as well. Look I get it. And you don’t understand the crunch time Anaheim is under. In 2 years both Getzlaf and Perry are gone and retired. Johnson can foot the bill until we re group.

And as a sponsor of these boards? We also have another first in This draft that can make up for the trade. You should know that before knocking a proposal when Columbus potentially gave up 2 first round picks for one year of Duchene

It's a dumb proposal. There's a reason why Duck's fans dislike it, while TB fans are all for it.

Duchene is a superior player to TJ so stop using him as leverage for your offer.

Suggesting TJ is just a "28 year old kid" makes you sound like some used car salesman.

Sir, this Mazda Miata has just 128K miles on it. All highway. And no, it's not leaking engine oil.. It's clearly sweating from all the horsepower!

Also - as a Rangers fan I would love to get back in the top-10 and draft a player like Zegras who projects to be a better player than what Johnson currently is.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Ducks should be committing to an aggressive rebuild.

Getzlaf, Perryvand Kesler are bad contracts and the team won't be ready to turn the page on them and be a contender again for a few years.

Johnson is the wrong move for them and he makes more sense for a team like the Avs, Sabres or Philly.
Getzlaf is not a bad contract. And with Gibson we can’t do an aggressive rebuild. Retool a bit this offseason, get a new coach and go from there

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
If the Ducks dont want to rebuild, the genesis of a deal is there but I think the Bolts would need to add significantly. Maybe Johnson, Bolts 1st rd for Ducks 1st.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
If the Ducks dont want to rebuild, the genesis of a deal is there but I think the Bolts would need to add significantly. Maybe Johnson, Bolts 1st rd for Ducks 1st.
So a top 10 pick for a 50 point player who couldn’t help Tampa in the playoffs and a late first? Still awful for the ducks. We don’t want Johnson

Reactions: Spazkat

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Getzlaf is not a bad contract. And with Gibson we can’t do an aggressive rebuild. Retool a bit this offseason, get a new coach and go from there

I don’t see Anaheim rebuilding. They had a down season from injuries and bad coaching. Think they add a piece here and there, continue to develop the young guys, and they should be good.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

I'd do that too but still don't see Anaheim doing it. I doubt our GM does it either as he seems to think what we got is working when it clearly hasn't in the past 5 years.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
So a top 10 pick for a 50 point player who couldn’t help Tampa in the playoffs and a late first? Still awful for the ducks. We don’t want Johnson
Thats cool with me. I’m not a fan of either team. I’m purely commenting on value of OP. If I were Anaheim, I’d just keep the pick.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Our 2nd 1st prob gets him or our 2nd +.... why are you just throwing at top 10 pick away.

That 9th pick will have alot of options

broc

Dec 20, 2010
Lol bad for Anaheim.

Also 1 less player they can protect in expansion draft. So it’s a top 10 pick plus a good player Seattle steals... for unremarkable Tyler Johnson.

Johnson hasn’t been a thing for a few years, but good try though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad