Confirmed Signing with Link: [TBL] Tampa re-signs J.T. Miller (5 years, $5.25M AAV)

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
wow. a bit high.

now if they sign tavares, they will only have 20 mil for kucherov,point,gourde, 2/3 of their d next year...and 6 other roster players.

aint happenin'

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
I just kind of feel a lot of players would produce whilst playing with Stamkos and Kucherov.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I like this deal

Miller is only 25 yrs old and nearly scored 60 pts each of last two seasons

I think he will thrive in TB and that system

43 points is NOT nearly 60.

If Bolts fans like this good on them, this is a lot of money for a player you can scratch in the playoffs and no one would notice.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009

If Bolts fans like this good on them, this is a lot of money for a player you can scratch in the playoffs and no one would notice.
He said last two seasons in which he had:

2016-17: 82GP 22G 34A 56P
2017-18: 82GP 23G 35A 58P

Didn't miss a game btw which is a plus too considering his play style.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I just kind of feel a lot of players would produce whilst playing with Stamkos and Kucherov.
He produced without them on the Rangers. But if it works and he produces with Stamkos and Kucherov, who cares if he's the "weak link" on the line. If it clicks, they should go with it and they will have to pay Miller (or any other his production worth). It's like when people complained Kunitz was getting paid too much being carried by Crosby. Who cares? It worked and points are points.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm not a big fan of this deal because I wish we'd used Miller as trade bait. But I don't understand why people think this is a lot of money. In an NHL where Evander Kane gets 7x7, JT Miller can get 5x5. The cap goes up, players get more.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017

We could scratch a lot of our players in the playoffs and no one would have noticed. It's not really fair to Miller to single him out for it when there's players making a lot more money (or are about to make a lot more money) who would have been at home on a milk carton during the playoffs.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
They will regret that one. Yikes. Glad we didn't keep him if that was his cost and term.

He is one of the worst playoff performers in the NHL since he came to the league.

3 goals in 57 playoff games. Tanner Glass has had better post season runs and he doesn't play with superb talent.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
We could scratch a lot of our players in the playoffs and no one would have noticed. It's not really fair to Miller to single him out for it when there's players making a lot more money (or are about to make a lot more money) who would have been at home on a milk carton during the playoffs.

I think it's fair to be harsh on Miller for his playoff performance because it kept with a pattern of poor performances going back to his Ranger days, whereas, for most of our guys (outside of Stamkos), this was their first poor playoff performance.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
They will regret that one. Yikes. Glad we didn't keep him if that was his cost and term.

He is one of the worst playoff performers in the NHL since he came to the league.

3 goals in 57 playoff games. Tanner Glass has had better post season runs and he doesn't play with superb talent.
So do you only offer 5 million to people who are known playoff heroes? Do you think his 50 extra points on the team doesn't change where they finish and who they play against? What would you have offered him? 4.5 seems low for somebody who put up back to back 55+ seasons. And there's no point arguing 5 million vs 5.25.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
So do you only offer 5 million to people who are known playoff heroes? Do you think his 50 extra points on the team doesn't change where they finish and who they play against? What would you have offered him? 4.5 seems low for somebody who put up back to back 55+ seasons. And there's no point arguing 5 million vs 5.25.

Wow somebody with a brain.

Reactions: TGWL

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Please show me where 43 points is listed "in each of the last 2 seasons", because 56 an 58 are pretty close to 60.........

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He produced without them on the Rangers. But if it works and he produces with Stamkos and Kucherov, who cares if he's the "weak link" on the line. If it clicks, they should go with it and they will have to pay Miller (or any other his production worth). It's like when people complained Kunitz was getting paid too much being carried by Crosby. Who cares? It worked and points are points.

He scored 56 points on the rangers, people think 58 points is being inflated and overpriced are clueless - he was only here for 19 games most of his production was with the Rangers. Wait till he gets a full year with them. He was far better than Namesnitkov, Palat and Johnson in that role.

Reactions: Master P and TGWL

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007

I've seen Miller for years. He is a middle of the road top 6 player who crumbles when it matters.

If you want a top-6 forward who has 3 goals in 57 playoff games, games far more important than regular season games [especially given the Bolts don't need him to make playoffs] then fine. I've seen enough of him to know he is a choker.

I said it when he was on Rangers. When he had 1 goal on 40 playoff games, the Ranger fans who supported him said sample size. He crumbles when it matters.

Reactions: third man in

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It just needs to be said over and over....Kane just got 7 million per for 7 years. JT Miller's deal is quite fair.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
I've seen Miller for years. He is a middle of the road top 6 player who crumbles when it matters.

If you want a top-6 forward who has 3 goals in 57 playoff games, games far more important than regular season games [especially given the Bolts don't need him to make playoffs] then fine. I've seen enough of him to know he is a choker.

I said it when he was on Rangers. When he had 1 goal on 40 playoff games, the Ranger fans who supported him said sample size. He crumbles when it matters.
The man tripled his career playoff goal production in 1 year on the Lightning. Ignoring all other context, seems to me like the Rangers were the problem. :sarcasm:

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

So what are top 6 forwards worth to you? And do you only offer contracts to players who have had playoff success when it comes to production? Miller has frustrated me on the Rangers but his value isn't being inflated here.

You don't toss away a 56/58 point forward just because he's not producing in the playoffs. Obviously if teams had a choice of signing a 56/58 point forward who turns it up a notch in a playoffs over Miller, they would, but that's not being presented in this scenario. It's sign Miller or lose that regular season production.

"Dear Tampa Fans,

We plan on losing at least 5 more games (Using just JT Miller's GWG average) next season because we don't want to sign a player who might choke in the playoffs.

Stevie Y"

I don't think that's how it works.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
So what are top 6 forwards worth to you? And do you only offer contracts to players who have had playoff success when it comes to production? Miller has frustrated me on the Rangers but his value isn't being inflated here.

You don't toss away a 56/58 point forward just because he's not producing in the playoffs. Obviously if teams had a choice of signing a 56/58 point forward who turns it up a notch in a playoffs over Miller, they would, but that's not being presented in this scenario. It's sign Miller or lose that regular season production.

"Dear Tampa Fans,

We plan on losing at least 5 more games (Using just JT Miller's GWG average) next season because we don't want to sign a player who might choke in the playoffs.

Stevie Y"

I don't think that's how it works.

Not who might choke, but who will.

Honestly, I would have looked to move him for another asset all together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad