Confirmed Signing with Link: [TBL] Tampa re-signs J.T. Miller (5 years, $5.25M AAV)

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Bump. Things have come full circle as it looks like Miller is a healthy scratch in tonight's do or die elimination game . I know the trade at the time was viewed as a roaring success for Tampa and an unmitigated disaster for the Rangers but the true value for the Rangers is that we weren't the fools giving JT a $5 million+ extension.

Brisebois is going to have a long offseason trying to clean up all the dead weight Yzerman left behind.

Miller is the leading scorer amongst our forwards in the playoffs and has been dangerous. This is just Cooper being and awful coach and not knowing how to properly use complementary players. Miller is more than fine and his contract is in line with his production. His p/60 is top 5 amongst forwards on our team all while being forced to play on the 4th line because Cooper has his boys that he refuses to demote or take minutes from. I'd trade several other forwards before Miller.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Miller is the leading scorer amongst our forwards in the playoffs and has been dangerous. This is just Cooper being and awful coach and not knowing how to properly use complementary players. Miller is more than fine and his contract is in line with his production. His p/60 is top 5 amongst forwards on our team all while being forced to play on the 4th line because Cooper has his boys that he refuses to demote or take minutes from. I'd trade several other forwards before Miller.

Problem is, the other guys have to waive their NTCs.

Reactions: Gotskillz2102

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If Cooper would start scratching them because their play hasn't been good then they may be more inclined to waive so they can go somewhere they'll play more.
They have guys who have it for the first 3/5 years which then drops to a mntc. TB can’t have it every way. You ask for player friendly deals and get them. If they come with ntc that’s what you negotiated. There is a time when those become tradeable. Start asking guys to waive and see how many of the next batch are going to give you friendly deals. They’ll then make sure they are making what they can so that if you want to move them they won’t lose the money they left on the table.

Callahan, Miller can be moved. Gourd, his ntc kicks in on July 1, so if you elect to keep him, he has that for what like the next 3 years? Killorn’s NTC drops to a mntc in July 2020. Palat and Johnson not until 2021.

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Still don’t understand why bolt fans defend him so hard especially after the choke. He’s redundant in this lineup. Should be one of the first to go if they’re looking for a shakeup.

Reactions: Ori

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Still don’t understand why bolt fans defend him so hard especially after the choke. He’s redundant in this lineup. Should be one of the first to go if they’re looking for a shakeup.
Well obviously and contrary to the likes of Palat, Johnson or Gourde, he can easily be moved. His limited NTC doesn't kick in until later this year and even then he has to submit a list of 8 teams he doesn't want to go to. That sounds managable.

The thing many Lightning fans consider is that he didn't get a fair chance this season. Palat was stapled to our top-6 while Miller played on the 4th line despite the fact that Palat has been entirely trash while Miller did what he could in his situation: Play his 8 minutes, play a flawless grinder game and win some puck battles and get off the ice. The few times he got PP1 or top-6 time he didn't look out of place but they never had time to create some kind of chemistry before Coop decided to demote him again for no apparent reason. Meanwhile Palat or Johnson got 2nd and 3rd and 31283128th chances no matter their performance.

Reactions: BeingTheThunder

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway

All this and Miller don`t improve that Tampa team - it`s almost opposite with his role and cap hit.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Yes, because he was responsible for the choke. If we really wanted to shake it up we would get rid of the old guard and not someone like Miller. Miller hasn't been around long enough and failed as many times as a lot of others.

Richter35

Oct 30, 2006
I’d take him back if NYR isn’t in the FA game this summer-

Callahan, 40% retained
Miller
TBL 1st

For

Pionk
Vesey
4th

Buy out of rhino leaves TBL with a 1m cap hit this year and 500k next year. TB frees up $10m in cap, gets a two way third line forward and a young rd that can play the pp to replace some of the geezers that are leaving.

I think miller can still play a top 6 role and has balls, something rangers still lack. I also think Quinn can get more out of him than av. Who is getting ripped off?

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Callahan, 40% retained
Miller
TBL 1st

For

Pionk
Vesey
4th

Buy out of rhino leaves TBL with a 1m cap hit this year and 500k next year. TB frees up $10m in cap, gets a two way third line forward and a young rd that can play the pp to replace some of the geezers that are leaving.

I think miller can still play a top 6 role and has balls, something rangers still lack. I also think Quinn can get more out of him than av. Who is getting ripped off?

Vesey just needs new scenery ,imo as does Cally and Miller, who both will be in familar waters if they return. Not 100 percent on Miller though.

With the way Cooper treated Callahan, expect him to open his 15 team trade list, but Rangers though are on his list already so if they deal him here don’t need to approach him. Said he’d even welcome a trade back here, now it’s inevitable. Think him leaving Tampa is better for him than it is for Tampa at this point, with Jon Cooper still as the head coach.

I’m hoping he comes back the Rangers, will be good for us and where we are right now, trying to grow and get better, develop our young guys, and maybe compete for a playoff spot.I think Cally and Quinn could hit if off well, and will be on the same game plan to help develop our young guys.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Callahan, 40% retained
Miller
TBL 1st

For

Pionk
Vesey
4th

Would the Rangers take Miller back? Feels like they wanted him gone at the time of the trade.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Would the Rangers take Miller back? Feels like they wanted him gone at the time of the trade.

I don’t think so with Miller, because of his term. Callahan has one year left, so can take it on with little risk, and Gorton was looking for a veteran bottom 6 forward with leadership. I mean we had Brendan Smith playing on our 4th line, lol.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Would there be some type of justice in a Miller for Namestnikov reunion type deal?

With all of the younger players expected to be in NY's line up, I think they are going to have some trouble finding spots for older guys. I certainly would not want to bring someone in that takes a spot from say Andersson or Howden. I think Miller would be a fit. Callahan could get time on the 4th line. I don;t expect the Rangers to make a play on any serious UFA's at this point in the rebuild.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Would there be some type of justice in a Miller for Namestnikov reunion type deal?

With all of the younger players expected to be in NY's line up, I think they are going to have some trouble finding spots for older guys. I certainly would not want to bring someone in that takes a spot from say Andersson or Howden. I think Miller would be a fit. Callahan could get time on the 4th line. I don;t expect the Rangers to make a play on any serious UFA's at this point in the rebuild.

I doubt Tampa wants Namestnikov to eat cap space even if Rangers retain, he's nothing more than a complimentary piece and doesn't help the narrative of being too soft.

I think Miller will be out there for just picks to clear cap room or in a trade for a dman to replace Stralman if they can't get a deal done.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

Callahan, 40% retained
Miller
TBL 1st

For

Pionk
Vesey
4th

I make that trade if you take out Miller.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

Hopefully not. Namestnikov has 1 year left. That's an easy contract for us to get out of.

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Yes, because he was responsible for the choke. If we really wanted to shake it up we would get rid of the old guard and not someone like Miller. Miller hasn't been around long enough and failed as many times as a lot of others.

This kind of loss doesn't get pinned on one player, obviously. I'm saying he doesn't fit this kind of lineup which is why he's constantly bumped to the bottom 6.

Would you rather get rid of Johnson, Palat, Gourde before Miller? A lot of Tampa fans say yes and it shocks me. I understand the frustration with Palat, but when he's on he brings the two-way game Tampa needs, and he's shown that in the playoffs too.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
I understand the frustration with Palat, but when he's on he brings the two-way game Tampa needs, and he's shown that in the playoffs too.
Only problem is that he hasn't been "on" in a year and a half. He's spent the majority of the year on the 2nd line and on the first power play unit... the best power play in the NHL and he only had 8 goals to show for it...that's atrocious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->