Confirmed with Link: [TBL/SJS] Lightning trade Jack Thompson and a 3rd rd pick for Anthony Duclair and a 7th rd pick

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
I have huge concerns about this trade. Not because Jack Thompson was the player going the other way. Not the 3rd either.

My concern is, everywhere Duclair has gone there’s been openly discussed issues with his character. It loomed over him with his time in junior with the Remparts.

In fact I’ll grab the saved quote from my 2013 draft file

“As outlined by Bob Mackenzie scouts were filing reports on Duclair that looked like this:

‘We thought he was selfish with too much 'me' and not enough 'we' in his game, plus he played careful. He didn't want to pay the price against tough competition, but lit up weak teams.’

Duclair had first-round potential, but fell to the third round finally getting scooped up by the New York Rangers with the 80th pick”

Tort’s said he has “bad listening skills” during his only season with the Jackets. He’s a perimeter player and rarely shows any willingness to find another gear.

I’m cautiously willing to see how playing under Coop’s “personality management” style can squeeze out another level from him, but right now, as I type this, I am not cool with this acquisition at all.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He'll probably be more effective than Jeannot tbh he's at least got some dangerous offensive tools.

Reactions: Outl4w

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
BriseBois trades for an actual decent hockey player so naturally, people have a problem with it. Thompson's chances of becoming anything more than a bottom pairing D for this team seemed low. Wish him the best and he'll have a better opportunity in SJ.

Good deal for both sides, guy scored 31 goals a couple years ago and should add some life to this lineup.

The problem is the price he paid. He seemed to rush into this deal for some reason. San Jose was going to trade Duclair, you didn't need to overpay for him. Mantha, who I'm not sold on, is having a better season and was traded for a 2nd + 4th with retention. So say the 4th was for retention to me a 3rd + Thompson is worth more than a 2nd. Plus I'd rather trade a pick then a guy who's worked his way up the system.

How many people thought Crozier would even sniff the NHL during his ELC or at all? Thompson is better than him. The only one blocking Thompson was Cooper because he thinks he knows it all. The guy keeps putting out Perbix, he clearly doesn't know how to evaluate or coach defenseman. And BriseBois is an idiot for drafting the kid if you knew your coach wouldn't play him because he isn't 6'2 or more.

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
Really like that we got Duclair, said it yesterday he was one of the rentals I was keen on taking a flyer on to see if he gelled with the team and in case re-sign him.
...but this "see if he's good on the team, re-sign if he is, let him go if he's not" only works if he's gotten for cheap. Why did we have to pay that much to get him? Having Thompson involved just makes no sense to me.
I still like this overall, cause Duke got some good upside and can actually be a top-6 player, but this still is a gamble. The fact we're his 8th team in the last 10 years makes me a bit worried if I think of him as long term solution.

Time will tell

Reactions: Tampa22

Eggdoh

Aug 25, 2022
I have huge concerns about this trade. Not because Jack Thompson was the player going the other way. Not the 3rd either.

My concern is, everywhere Duclair has gone there’s been openly discussed issues with his character. It loomed over him with his time in junior with the Remparts.

“As outlined by Bob Mackenzie scouts were filing reports on Duclair that looked like this:

‘We thought he was selfish with too much 'me' and not enough 'we' in his game, plus he played careful. He didn't want to pay the price against tough competition, but lit up weak teams.’

Duclair had first-round potential, but fell to the third round finally getting scooped up by the New York Rangers with the 80th pick”

Tort’s said he has “bad listening skills” during his only season with the Jackets. He’s a perimeter player and rarely shows any willingness to find another gear.

I’m cautiously willing to see how playing under Coop’s “personality management” style can squeeze out another level from him, but right now, as I type this, I am not cool with this acquisition at all.
I wasn't overly impressed with Duclair as a player this season as a Shark. He was pretty streaky, though he has been playing his best hockey of the season recently, so maybe he will carry that over to the Lightning. That being said, his attitude has been good and he has a lot of received praise for being a role model to our young guys. So I don't think I'd be too worried about character issues.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Guess I’m in the minority but I have always liked Duclair. He is a streaky player but at the right price could be an improvement on the 3rd line. Thing is he will but expected to play 2nd line and people will be dissatisfied with him.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali
For what it’s worth, Sharks fans seem to love Duclair.
We do! He’s a great locker room guy and he’s on a hot streak lately. I think 5ish goals in last 7-8 games. He started very slow this season but has found another level lately. Definitely a guy SJ would welcome back at a decent price. That being said, I am very happy with this return as a Sharks fan. I value Thompson more than the 2024 3rd.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
What organization gives up their top defensive prospect and a 3rd for a borderline top 6 forward that doesn’t really play a 2 way game with no retention?

The word is put on JBB. Hold the line, if he wants your player the overpay will happen.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
What organization gives up their top defensive prospect and a 3rd for a borderline top 6 forward that doesn’t really play a 2 way game with no retention?

The word is put on JBB. Hold the line, if he wants your player the overpay will happen.
Pure rentals are not really JBB’s thing though. An extension is likely already in the works.

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
Pure rentals are not really JBB’s thing though. An extension is likely already in the works.
If we re-sign Duclair to something around what Sheary makes, then we ship Sheary away this summer, it would be a very good swap in terms of quality of players. Hopefully JBB envisioned something like that when getting Duclair

Reactions: Renopucker

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio

Duclair is a much more mature 28 year old as opposed to a selfish 17 year old. Tortorella is also an asshole to anyone who doesn't completely buy into his shtick

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He fills a need but it seems silly to give up that much for a rental bottom sixer.
Gotta think JBB is planning to sign him. He's never been gung-ho on rentals in general, so this would be a strange season for him to change that mentality.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Duclair is another bum. Extend him for what? Dude is washed. Garbage.

JBB got us into this mess...thinking he's going to get us out is asking a lot.

He's obviously not a builder or a window extender...he needs a fully stocked team and picks to do anything. JBB did some minor tweaks. That's it. It is looking less and less that he had much to do with those cups and more and more Yzerman.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Duclair is another bum. Extend him for what? Dude is washed. Garbage.

JBB got us into this mess...thinking he's going to get us out is asking a lot.

He's obviously not a builder or a window extender...he needs a fully stocked team and picks to do anything. JBB did some minor tweaks. That's it. It is looking less and less that he had much to do with those cups and more and more Yzerman.
I'll give him mad props for Hagel. That was a great retool piece, had he landed Hanafin that could have been a big move as well.

In a what have you done for me lately league he has certainly sunk the ship and left the cuboards quite bare.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad