Confirmed with Link: [TBL/SJS] Lightning trade Jack Thompson and a 3rd rd pick for Anthony Duclair and a 7th rd pick

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Pure rentals are not really JBB’s thing though. An extension is likely already in the works.
This is the hope. As well as that our scouts have seen something in Duclair that make them believe he would be a good fit.

Even though scoring in general hasn't really been our issue, some secondary scoring would be nice moving forward. If we get into the playoffs next year, and Vasy is back, it feels like we will be pretty easy to beat if other teams only have to shut down one line and stay out of the box.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I'll give him mad props for Hagel. That was a great retool piece, had he landed Hanafin that could have been a big move as well.

In a what have you done for me lately league he has certainly sunk the ship and left the cuboards quite bare.
Hagel was a great acquistion but he still gave away a bit too much, should have only given up 1st in that deal.

This is the hope. As well as that our scouts have seen something in Duclair that make them believe he would be a good fit.

Even though scoring in general hasn't really been our issue, some secondary scoring would be nice moving forward. If we get into the playoffs next year, and Vasy is back, it feels like we will be pretty easy to beat if other teams only have to shut down one line and stay out of the box.
The team needs to be faster and score more, Duclair brings that. Only thing I hate about the deal is trading Thompson instead of Perbix or a lower tier player like Powell or Schmidt. Gotta think they'll sign Powell now if he wants to be in the organization.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Hagel was a great acquistion but he still gave away a bit too much, should have only given up 1st in that deal.

The team needs to be faster and score more, Duclair brings that. Only thing I hate about the deal is trading Thompson instead of Perbix or a lower tier player like Powell or Schmidt. Gotta think they'll sign Powell now if he wants to be in the organization.
Perbix still has more value than Thompson. Especially with defensemen, the guy who's actually given us a few good minutes in the league, even if he's in a sophomore slump, still has more value than the guy in the AHL who's never played in the NHL. It's like valuing a lottery ticket over cash in hand.

Reactions: Renopucker

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
The problem is the price he paid. He seemed to rush into this deal for some reason. San Jose was going to trade Duclair, you didn't need to overpay for him. Mantha, who I'm not sold on, is having a better season and was traded for a 2nd + 4th with retention. So say the 4th was for retention to me a 3rd + Thompson is worth more than a 2nd. Plus I'd rather trade a pick then a guy who's worked his way up the system.

How many people thought Crozier would even sniff the NHL during his ELC or at all? Thompson is better than him. The only one blocking Thompson was Cooper because he thinks he knows it all. The guy keeps putting out Perbix, he clearly doesn't know how to evaluate or coach defenseman. And BriseBois is an idiot for drafting the kid if you knew your coach wouldn't play him because he isn't 6'2 or more.
Sorry you don't think Cooper handles call ups, do you?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Sorry you don't think Cooper handles call ups, do you?

No. But BriseBois isn't going to waste a spot on someone who Cooper won't play. I don't remember exactly but I feel Thompson was called up another time and didn't even dress. The first time he seemed like up a week and played only once.

BriseBois could make Cooper show his hand by trading Perbix and sending Crozier down so he had to play Thompson but Perbix probably has negative value so there were no suitors. Cooper has picked around Goncalves by playing him 8 4th line minutes so I have no hope in any prospects anymore. Explains BriseBois trading them and all our picks. Cooper pulled the Jordan and said f*** them kids.

• Haha
Reactions: Stammertime91

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Duclair is another bum. Extend him for what? Dude is washed. Garbage.

JBB got us into this mess...thinking he's going to get us out is asking a lot.

He's obviously not a builder or a window extender...he needs a fully stocked team and picks to do anything. JBB did some minor tweaks. That's it. It is looking less and less that he had much to do with those cups and more and more Yzerman.
duclair the bum is on pace for 20 goals on one of the worst teams of all time so i’ll take it

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Perbix still has more value than Thompson. Especially with defensemen, the guy who's actually given us a few good minutes in the league, even if he's in a sophomore slump, still has more value than the guy in the AHL who's never played in the NHL. It's like valuing a lottery ticket over cash in hand.
I see Thompson as a much better skater with much higher offensive ceiling, plus he's 4 birthyears younger than Perbix. Perbix is terrible skating backwards and pivoting back when the rush comes, plus has developed Sergachev-itis: passing the puck to nowhere, leading to easy turnovers for the other team to create dangerous scoring chances/pressure. Just my thought process though

Reactions: Tampa22

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I see Thompson as a much better skater with much higher offensive ceiling, plus he's 4 birthyears younger than Perbix. Perbix is terrible skating backwards and pivoting back when the rush comes, plus has developed Sergachev-itis: passing the puck to nowhere, leading to easy turnovers for the other team to create dangerous scoring chances/pressure. Just my thought process though.

Still. Until we see it in the NHL, we haven't seen it. And most guys never make transition as well as it looks like they might.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
duclair the bum is on pace for 20 goals on one of the worst teams of all time so i’ll take it
He just got 5 goals in 4 games or something...Sheary just had 2 points.

SO? They are both bums. Duclair before this mini hot streak had 22 points in 51 games. BUM. Y'all spin anything these days. SMDH.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He just got 5 goals in 4 games or something...Sheary just had 2 points.

SO? They are both bums. Duclair before this mini hot streak had 22 points in 51 games. BUM. Y'all spin anything these days. SMDH.
That Sharks team is god awful though. I have a hard time holding that against him. Not saying he's a world beater, but we didn't pay a huge price (assuming we sign him). I think he's good enough to be a 40 point guy, which is one of the players we need. A guy who can be counted on to chip in sometimes.

I'm hoping he adds some scoring to the 2nd line, which would make it easier to move Hagel back up to the top line. With a little luck, he might have some chemistry with Stamkos.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
That Sharks team is god awful though. I have a hard time holding that against him. Not saying he's a world beater, but we didn't pay a huge price (assuming we sign him). I think he's good enough to be a 40 point guy, which is one of the players we need. A guy who can be counted on to chip in sometimes.

I'm hoping he adds some scoring to the 2nd line, which would make it easier to move Hagel back up to the top line. With a little luck, he might have some chemistry with Stamkos.

His most common linemates were Zetterberg, Granlund and the Hertl. Those are better players than Cirelli and Paul while Stamkos is he isn't playing like it this year.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
His most common linemates were Zetterberg, Granlund and the Hertl. Those are better players than Cirelli and Paul while Stamkos is he isn't playing like it this year.
Yeah, but I'm not sure how much motivation can be found in that entire locker room right now.

Not that ours has much more. But I'm really looking to next year, in a world where we extend him.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
No. But BriseBois isn't going to waste a spot on someone who Cooper won't play. I don't remember exactly but I feel Thompson was called up another time and didn't even dress. The first time he seemed like up a week and played only once.

BriseBois could make Cooper show his hand by trading Perbix and sending Crozier down so he had to play Thompson but Perbix probably has negative value so there were no suitors. Cooper has picked around Goncalves by playing him 8 4th line minutes so I have no hope in any prospects anymore. Explains BriseBois trading them and all our picks. Cooper pulled the Jordan and said f*** them kids.
That process is not uncommon and has happened many times, though. The reasons behind it aren't necessarily to boost the roster at times or fill in for an injury, a call up for some of these guys is like... a secondhand way of getting a bonus during the season. Get called up, get a weeks NHL pay, work directly with TBL coaching and management, usually theres a day in that week where *someone* (Barb, whoever) gets some 1 on 1 time with them to work on specific skills. It isn't necessarily an indictment on his play or NHL worthiness.

Reactions: Hoek and DFC

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

"He brings speed first and foremost. That is what he is known for, blazing speed, one of the fastest guys in the league. High end skill. Playmaking ability. Goal scoring ability. He can push the D back, which opens up ice for some of the other players to find soft ice and pockets to score goals or get quality scoring chances off. He adds more secondary scoring, more speed, more offense to our forward group, and playoff experience"

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
I think what would have been a bit better of a move is seeing if SJ would have parted with one of their dmen like Knyzhov, Benning, or Burroughs on top of Duclair

Reactions: Outl4w

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad