Confirmed Trade: [TBL/SJS] Barclay Goodrow, 2020 3rd round pick for Anthony Greco, 2020 1st round pick

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Even if Tampa Bay wins the Cup, I don't think Goodrow makes a difference. I've never heard of this guy.

Reactions: max21

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Makes sense for SJS he was one of the few players they had that still had value. But what made him so valuable is kind of why they needed to hold onto Goodrow. What he provides for cheap cap. That being said, getting a 1st for him is great and takes some of the sting out of the year a bit. At least they are back in the 1st.

Reactions: themelkman

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The Sharks moving up two rounds for Goodrow is not terrible value for Tampa honestly but it's hard for people to get over trading a 1st round pick. Goodrow is just under 1 mil, is their first forward out on their top rated PK, and has been moving up the lineup with everything going on and not playing terribly. He's a solid 3rd liner that will be an effective PK'er for the rest of this season and next. It's not the best trade I think but it may be the best for Tampa given their cap status and what else was out there.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The Sharks moving up two rounds for Goodrow is not terrible value for Tampa honestly but it's hard for people to get over trading a 1st round pick. Goodrow is just under 1 mil, is their first forward out on their top rated PK, and has been moving up the lineup with everything going on and not playing terribly. He's a solid 3rd liner that will be an effective PK'er for the rest of this season and next. It's not the best trade I think but it may be the best for Tampa given their cap status and what else was out there.

He is a really good cycle player. He and Coleman are good players that matchup with what Tampa has lacked at times in the post-season. I get that people get trapped in the first round pick. Tampa should be making moves like this, they are all in and they went out and got sound gritty hockey players that will add to a team in the post-season.

Reactions: Hint1k

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
this makes no sense at all. if they wanted him that bad I'm sure they could have gotten him for a 2nd :huh:

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
SJ is one team whose fans don't have room to joke about choking in the playoffs.
SJ choked when they won the President’s trophy and lost to the 8th seed Ducks 100%. No SJ team has every lost a series where they were heavily the favorite besides that and LA in 2014 and no one was going to beat LA. When we lost to Vancouver they went to the Finals, when we lost to Chicaco they won the cup, when we lost to the Blue’s the won the cup and so on. The Sharks were never as heavy favorites as the Lightning have been for the past several years, bar none. Anything else?

Reactions: SharksFan1

Waterbuf

Sep 21, 2018
Vancouver
Anyone saying they're all in so it's okay to overpay...

That 1st round pick could be used later/now to trade for a way better player...

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Was just gonna say I like the deal more but it's Philly's third rounder.

I get what Tampa is doing. They are overpaying for cost certainty.

Exactly. It looks like an overpay in terms of perceived hockey-playing value, but what Tampa really needs are contributors on low cap hits.

Coleman and Goodrow probably allow Tampa to clear the cap hits of Killorn and Johnson/Gourde. Cap space has more value to them than draft picks, at this point.

Reactions: Price is Wright

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Wow, nice return for SJ. I wish my Ducks could have gotten that for Ritchie. Instead we get more Bruin leftovers and Murray continues to bend over for Sweeney.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Goodrow is a tough player to play against. He'll be a nice fit on the Lightning.

Teams really leveraged Tampa's cap situation against them. NJ & SJ both got a premium for their players. That's the reality you can find yourself in when your really good & your window is right now. Atleast niether guy is a rental, that's a huge part of these moves/prices.

As a Canucks fan, it continues to make the JT Miller trade look better. A little bit of a selfish silver lining.

Excited to see how Tampa responds in the playoffs. Their team looks to be setup better than last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad