Confirmed Trade: [TBL/SJS] Barclay Goodrow, 2020 3rd round pick for Anthony Greco, 2020 1st round pick

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
This was a good trade all day. Cup contending teams round out their rosters by trading youth and picks. He’ll be part of the team moving forward because of the contract too.

I get that this is hockey’s future so we really love picks and prospects but winning the cup is the point. Every team in the league would make this trade if they thought it made the difference, even if they weren’t going to keep him....which they are.

That is my point though, this player is not the make or break difference maker, he is simply a depth player.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
The price for Goodrow should be about a 3rd round pick, not much more if any! Also, they don't win or lose the Cup because of just him anyhow.
Yes, cause he was the reason or difference in making it.
You don't know what you are talking about. Goodrow, just like Coleman, is a premium third line player with one extra year in his inexpensive contract.

"Their new shutdown line (Goodrow-Gourde-Coleman) has the same sterling five-on-five numbers as their top line, only they have an even more ludicrous goal share at 80 percent and are earning their keep with elite defensive play. With Coleman and Goodrow on the ice, the Lightning are allowing just 1.17 expected goals against per 60, the best marks on the team and among the top five in the playoffs, behind only Montreal’s Jesperi Kotkaniemi and the Islanders’ Komarov. Their defensive ability has been mighty impressive and it gives the Lightning not only the best offensive line in the playoffs but the best defensive one, too. The trio’s shutdown ability has completely freed up the top line to wreak even more havoc than usual."

2020 NHL playoff preview: Lightning vs. Islanders (paywall)

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
You don't know what you are talking about. Goodrow, just like Coleman, is a premium third line player with one extra year in his inexpensive contract.

"Their new shutdown line (Goodrow-Gourde-Coleman) has the same sterling five-on-five numbers as their top line, only they have an even more ludicrous goal share at 80 percent and are earning their keep with elite defensive play. With Coleman and Goodrow on the ice, the Lightning are allowing just 1.17 expected goals against per 60, the best marks on the team and among the top five in the playoffs, behind only Montreal’s Jesperi Kotkaniemi and the Islanders’ Komarov. Their defensive ability has been mighty impressive and it gives the Lightning not only the best offensive line in the playoffs but the best defensive one, too. The trio’s shutdown ability has completely freed up the top line to wreak even more havoc than usual."

2020 NHL playoff preview: Lightning vs. Islanders (paywall)

Umm, premium 3rd liners put up more than 26 pts in 70 GP whether they are defensive minded or not. He is a good defensive depth player, nothing more.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
The price for Goodrow should be about a 3rd round pick, not much more if any! Also, they don't win or lose the Cup because of just him anyhow.

I dont this deal gets done without the Coleman deal as well. They added 2 fantastic bottom 6 pieces and are now tougher to play against.

Depth has been the biggest difference between being swept in the 1st round vs making the conference finals so far. They may even win the cup.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I dont this deal gets done without the Coleman deal as well. They added 2 fantastic bottom 6 pieces and are now tougher to play against.

Depth has been the biggest difference between being swept in the 1st round vs making the conference finals so far. They may even win the cup.

I agree Coleman was a good add, and I think he is a decent bit better than Goodrow, but my comments are based on this trade, and I still say they could have gotten Goodrow for much much less than their 1st round pick. A 3rd rounder and lukewarm prospect should have been all it took. Late 1sts may in fact be large gambles as many do turn into nothing more than Riley Sheahan types if they even make it, that said to me that still leaves the chance that they are something much better.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I agree Coleman was a good add, and I think he is a decent bit better than Goodrow, but my comments are based on this trade, and I still say they could have gotten Goodrow for much much less than their 1st round pick. A 3rd rounder and lukewarm prospect should have been all it took. Late 1sts may in fact be large gambles as many do turn into nothing more than Riley Sheahan types if they even make it, that said to me that still leaves the chance that they are something much better.

While Goodrow's value might not be a 1st in a vacuum, the Sharks had zero incentive to move him for just a third. He was one of the bright spots on their roster this season, made less than 1 million a year, and still has term. For a team with cap trouble, Goodrow was a solid piece and the only reason they moved him was that they were offered a 1st, and Wilson was hellbent on getting back into the first round, as he is hoping for a hail mary miracle with that pick in this exceptionally deep draft.

If the best Wilson was offered was even a 2nd round pick, Goodrow is probably still a Shark.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013

Healthy Hedman is the biggest difference, but depth doesn't hurt.

Reactions: Guttersniped

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Clarification is needed; the Sharks did not give Tampa Bay their own third in this trade. That is already the property of the Detroit Red Wings (because of the Gus Nyquist acquisition). They instead parted with Philadelphia's third-rounder (acquired in exchange for Justin Braun), which if I am correct, should be #85.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
While Goodrow's value might not be a 1st in a vacuum, the Sharks had zero incentive to move him for just a third. He was one of the bright spots on their roster this season, made less than 1 million a year, and still has term. For a team with cap trouble, Goodrow was a solid piece and the only reason they moved him was that they were offered a 1st, and Wilson was hellbent on getting back into the first round, as he is hoping for a hail mary miracle with that pick in this exceptionally deep draft.

If the best Wilson was offered was even a 2nd round pick, Goodrow is probably still a Shark.

I agree that the Sharks had little incentive to move him for that, but a 2nd round pick when you need to restock the cupboards would be considered a steal for Goodrow.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Clarification is needed; the Sharks did not give Tampa Bay their own third in this trade. That is already the property of the Detroit Red Wings (because of the Gus Nyquist acquisition). They instead parted with Philadelphia's third-rounder (acquired in exchange for Justin Braun), which if I am correct, should be #85.

Yeah, so they dropped from the end of the 1st round to the near beginning of the 4th round for a 3rd/4th line player. Also, people seem to think when you think a player shouldn't have went for so and so value, that it means they are not valuable or are garbage or something. Goodrow is a valuable addition to a team competing, my only argument is that it shouldn't have cost that much for what he brings.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
If Tampa were to trade back at the draft from 29-31, which is where the pick will be, they would get back something in the 35-40 range + the 85th. So essentially they traded a 2nd in the 35-40 range for Goodrow and have him at 925k for next season as well. A 2nd round pick doesn't have that a high of a chance to even become a Goodrow type player.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Coleman was also much more expensive than Goodrow. Foote was a recently picked late first and the Van pick at the time of the trade had probably more value, as Vancouver wasn't rated as a prime SC contender.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
That is my point though, this player is not the make or break difference maker, he is simply a depth player.
No such thing in a playoff run. He’s a quality depth player and the kind of guy who scores the ugly overtime goal. He had a good contract with time left on it, which factors in the price. Sharks probably didn’t want to trade him, he’s a guy Tampa likely targeted. He never wouldve gone for a third round pick in this situation. Other teams were likely interested if he was available which also raises the price.

A trade you say yes to, especially after how they collapsed last year. They needed more bite in their lower six, and they have it this year. They showed it against the Bruins. By making it this far all their moves are completely justified already, and if they continue will only be further cemented as the right call. When you’re on the edge of being that team you go for it, and teams that add players that go higher in the lineup often fail because they changed the chemistry. Not the case here as they only added grit and heart to the bottom six. Those guys fit in easier and the guys Tampa added have fit like a glove without messing up the skill guys any.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Yeah, so they dropped from the end of the 1st round to the near beginning of the 4th round for a 3rd/4th line player. Also, people seem to think when you think a player shouldn't have went for so and so value, that it means they are not valuable or are garbage or something. Goodrow is a valuable addition to a team competing, my only argument is that it shouldn't have cost that much for what he brings.

Your overall point might be fair, but look at the framing!

Why not "dropped from near the beginning of the 2nd round to the end of the 3rd round?

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
I agree that the Sharks had little incentive to move him for that, but a 2nd round pick when you need to restock the cupboards would be considered a steal for Goodrow.

Yeah. Goodrow was a nice player for us, but he’s easily replaceable and we’ve got very little in the pipeline, so I’d have taken a 2nd for him no question. Glad he’s doing well for Tampa, even though we have their 1st I’m pulling for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad