Confirmed with Link: [TBL/SJ] Barclay Goodrow & 2020 3rd rd pick (PHI) for 2020 1st rd pick and Anthony Greco

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
So looking back at the first three rounds to see who we picked against who we should've instead, after round 3 it's more luck than anything.

2011 after Namestnikov the next three forwards bigger than him, so over 6', were Jensen, Jurco and Jenner. So really Jenner is the only close one and they aren't too different stats wise. Jenner was picked 37. Kucherov were keeping and we didn't draft in the 3rd.

2012 our first forward picked was the 6'3 Hart so we keep that pick cause of his size. In the 3rd we took Richard, after him the three biggest forwards over 6', Richard's height, Kea, Calnan, Sundqvist. So Sundqvist is the only good one in that group but was a late 3rd, so easy to miss on that.

2013 are you taking Lindholm, Monahan or Horvat over Drouin? You probably do now but definitely not back then. In the 2nd we took Erne who was 6'1 200+ so the size you want. No 3rd rounder.

2014 our first forward picked was Point in the 3rd, you aren't changing that pick.

2015 we took Stephens who's 6' the next three bigger than that are Gagne, Bittner and Greer with Greer the only one making the NHL so far with their numbers roughly the same. In the 3rd we took Yan who's 6'2 so you shouldsho change that because he has size, our other 3rd was Cirelli who we keep.

The worst picks amongst forwards in that time has been Hart 6'3, Yan 6'2, Richard 6', made the NHL at least, and Erne 6'2 who's still in the NHL. So if we went with more size in our picks we would suck big time right now.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I'm not going to pretend to know who we should have drafted but I think waterboy has a good point about SYs drafting. I think he was excellent no doubt but at the same time after looking at it all, our issue of size has come up a lot and we just traded for some! I feel like the trade deadline is a place to take care of what you lacked in your draft. I dont think it's an "indictment" on SYs draft ability but more so just that we put a higher importance on the skill and IQ which I'm all for but when we had issues with the size we can point to the lack of attention to that detail. It also doesn't mean that the way he did it was wrong either, it's just what we valued when drafting and it is has worked for the most part. Its just where we have gotten stuck at you cant help but wonder who else we should have targeted in certain situations. Not even just the draft in other times as well.

What I will say about this though is that the league has shifted a little more towards getting a little bigger again after Washington and St. Louis won. And it's no secret that we want to get bigger. If SY had forecasted all that we would have a cup by now but I also dont blame him for that or for the team not winning a cup by now. We cant just point to size for why they lose and some questions still need to be answered if they are going to.

We adjusted our drafting a bit too in that time cause 2016 we took Howden 6'3, Katchouk 6'2 and Raddysh 6'2. 2017 Volkov is 6'1, Lipanov 6'1. Foote is 6'4. We did draft Fortier and Cajkovic who are both 5'11 but you can't go all size.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
We adjusted our drafting a bit too in that time cause 2016 we took Howden 6'3, Katchouk 6'2 and Raddysh 6'2. 2017 Volkov is 6'1, Lipanov 6'1. Foote is 6'4. We did draft Fortier and Cajkovic who are both 5'11 but you can't go all size.

No you cant go all size but we also haven't had much success when we went big and then its taking a while until some of these other guys we havent traded break into the lineup. This core besides Palat and Killorn have been the big guys. We traded away Miller but now these guys we just traded for we will have the next year and half.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
No you cant go all size but we also haven't had much success when we went big and then its taking a while until some of these other guys we havent traded break into the lineup. This core besides Palat and Killorn have been the big guys. We traded away Miller but now these guys we just traded for we will have the next year and half.

Blake Coleman is just 5'11 200lbs, Goodrow is 6'2 215 so we really didn't go for that much size. Coleman just plays bigger, he's Yanni Gourde in Palats body. Goodrow is just a slightly bigger Paquette with better skills. Boston isn't really bigger than us their biggest player Coyle who's 6'3 has 80 hits this year, that's Cirelli numbers, Nick Ritchie is just a younger Maroon. We match up well against them. Washington is the physical team and it's not because of Wilson, who is a beast, but Ovechkin. When the playoffs come around he goes beast mode and destroys everything in sight. With his speed and power it's tough to stop, we don't have anything like that or can nullify it. Stamkos, Point, Kucherov or Cirelli can't stop it and aren't stepping up close to the way he does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad