Confirmed with Link: [TBL/SJ] Barclay Goodrow & 2020 3rd rd pick (PHI) for 2020 1st rd pick and Anthony Greco

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Wow :eyeroll:

THIS is why we got swept last year. Not our third or fourth line.

BsN9PHn.jpg

People weren't saying blow up the team because of our lower liners. Our stars have to be our stars

I think the guys we acquired today are decent role players for a team trying to win a cup but you are absolutely right. Our top guys need to show up when things matter most. We get nowhere without them. Goals will need to come from all over but they need to lead the way.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
I think the guys we acquired today are decent role players for a team trying to win a cup but you are absolutely right. Our top guys need to show up when things matter most. We get nowhere without them. Goals will need to come from all over but they need to lead the way.
With that being said, for some people, they wouldn’t have been happy with any moves the Lightning may have made. Nothing can change the lack of production from the stars except the stars showing up this postseason. NOTHING can be done to make the people complaining about that happy during the regular season.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
The switch is now. The bigger impact on this year's playoffs is Cooper's slight change is our game. More defensive...know your assignments. Play tight D. Win the boards battles. HIT.

Will it work?

I'm more optimistic this year than last.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Greco: "mom and dad, i got traded to the lightning! Maybe if someone isnt playing well they will call me up. Can you imagine if we win the cup and I get my name on it?!"

Greco traded to the Sharks

Screen_Shot_2018-10-25_at_11.02.15_AM.jpg

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
We swapped our first for Philly’s third, and got this guy on a cheap contract. It’s a slight overpay, but anyone who thinks we got pantsed is massively overvaluing a late first rounder.

This makes it so we won’t really miss Paquette when we trade him this summer, which (because Goodrow is cheaper) will save us a net $700k that we desperately need for the cap crunch. If you’re worried about the overpay, you can add back anything we get for Paquette in that deal (I have no idea what that will be; he’s not as valuable because his contract isn’t as cheap).

I don’t think this does much of anything for us this year, but it will be better to have this guy for the playoffs than not have him. Probably.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I've had time to calm down. Digest what has happened and observe the big picture. No I didn't watch the press conference. The stupidity you're about to read is clearly my own.

WHAT THIS MEANS FOR THE PLAYOFFS

Nothing much really. We weren't a Barclay Goodrow from winning it all. We did add some more grit though. I won't say no to that. This Lightning team is gonna be an absolute bitch to play against.

WHAT THIS MEANS FOR THE DRAFT

We probably get a 1st round pick for whomever we sell off and I think there's a good chance JBB already has something lined up in a wink-wink nudge-nudge deal with someone else. And even if we don't get the 1st, there's a really good chance whoever is taken in the 2nd is gonna be a damn good player. 2020 is stacked and JBB obviously trusts Al Murray to get the job done or at least continue to supervise that aspect.

WHAT THIS MEANS FOR THE OFFSEASON

Paquette is gone. #Packyourshit

Why? Because Goodrow is a 4C, makes less money, signed for another year and Paquette is like the one forward who doesn't have an NTC. If you trade Killorn with him we have just shy of $13 million if you assume an $83 million cap. Goodrow is clearly a contingency plan as much as anything else.

ALL TOGETHER

This trade still sucks monkey balls. You. Dont. Give. Up. A. 1st. Round. Pick. For. Barclay. Goodrow.

Even if we are liable to get another 1st rounder back. Bitch.... this is like the best draft in years. When we are rebuilding 3-4 years from now it would've been REALLY nice to have 2 guys chosen in the first 31 picks assuming you got a 1st round back for someone like Killorn. Now we're gonna have 1... if even. We just got bent over for cap space. Literally.

We seriously gave up the equivalent of 3 first round picks just so Boston couldn't have Coleman and Goodrow. Literally all Don Sweeney has to do from now on is sit just back like Dave on Storage Wars and keep hiking the price up on trade bait and bail at the last second so we have to pay the maximum price.

You lost your BIG F JfBB.... you'll get it back only if we win a Cup

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I did not like your format sunny but I did like the Storage wars reference. I chuckled, slightly smiled and continued reading. Well done. I'll hand out a like.

Heh thanks. It felt more organized to do it that way because there were several trains of thought. Rather than slew them out and hope everyone understood I figured I'd order it. I seriously try not to complain and try to look for positives but damn even I can't be cheery on that one.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
The switch is now. The bigger impact on this year's playoffs is Cooper's slight change is our game. More defensive...know your assignments. Play tight D. Win the boards battles. HIT.

Will it work?

I'm more optimistic this year than last.

I don’t know if it will work but I like our chances this year more then last year

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Goodie is a good one guys. When your stars are in their heads, he'll buzz around and bang bodies and wake them up.

Then he'll eliminate your most hated rival out of nowhere in 2OT in a game 7 you were getting crushed in.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
These trades are just a reminder why a cup of water is more expensive than a ton of gold in a desert.
I don't get it. It's not like Barclay Goodrow was the cup of water we needed.

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get it. It's not like Barclay Goodrow was the cup of water we needed.
I meant the price difference. It's a huge overpayment for anyone except Bolts in their current situation. A guy in a desert may not be saved by a cup of water, but he sure thing will pay any price anyway, because it's a chance he has to take.

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I meant the price difference. It's a huge overpayment for anyone except Bolts in their current situation. A guy in a desert may not be saved by a cup of water, but he sure thing will pay any price anyway, because it's a chance he has to take.
This is Barclay goodrow. Not Ovy.

Reactions: AmbulanceChaser

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
I've had time to calm down. Digest what has happened and observe the big picture. No I didn't watch the press conference. The stupidity you're about to read is clearly my own.

WHAT THIS MEANS FOR THE PLAYOFFS

Nothing much really. We weren't a Barclay Goodrow from winning it all. We did add some more grit though. I won't say no to that. This Lightning team is gonna be an absolute bitch to play against.

WHAT THIS MEANS FOR THE DRAFT

We probably get a 1st round pick for whomever we sell off and I think there's a good chance JBB already has something lined up in a wink-wink nudge-nudge deal with someone else. And even if we don't get the 1st, there's a really good chance whoever is taken in the 2nd is gonna be a damn good player. 2020 is stacked and JBB obviously trusts Al Murray to get the job done or at least continue to supervise that aspect.

WHAT THIS MEANS FOR THE OFFSEASON

Paquette is gone. #Packyourshit

Why? Because Goodrow is a 4C, makes less money, signed for another year and Paquette is like the one forward who doesn't have an NTC. If you trade Killorn with him we have just shy of $13 million if you assume an $83 million cap. Goodrow is clearly a contingency plan as much as anything else.

ALL TOGETHER

This trade still sucks monkey balls. You. Dont. Give. Up. A. 1st. Round. Pick. For. Barclay. Goodrow.

Even if we are liable to get another 1st rounder back. Bitch.... this is like the best draft in years. When we are rebuilding 3-4 years from now it would've been REALLY nice to have 2 guys chosen in the first 31 picks assuming you got a 1st round back for someone like Killorn. Now we're gonna have 1... if even. We just got bent over for cap space. Literally.

We seriously gave up the equivalent of 3 first round picks just so Boston couldn't have Coleman and Goodrow. Literally all Don Sweeney has to do from now on is sit just back like Dave on Storage Wars and keep hiking the price up on trade bait and bail at the last second so we have to pay the maximum price.

You lost your BIG F JfBB.... you'll get it back only if we win a Cup

You and I seem fully aligned on everything except the cost of what we gave up. Yes, we gave up a late first rounder, but we get back a mid-late third rounder. Plus we'll get something for Paquette. A slight overpay, but nothing to freak out about.
And, you need to account for the fact that we have a legitimate cap situation about to slam us: sacrificing a little bit in assets for a little bit of cap relief is just something we have to make peace with.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
OH! Well then it all makes sense now.

No. No it doesn't. It's still terrible value and an awful deal to make even if it improves the depth on the team

we didn’t lose the first round draft pick we traded back from the 1st round to then 3rd round and got a nhl player we can use this year and next year

Reactions: Peacefool

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Agree that the third makes a big difference. It's essentially/hopefully moving down about 35-40 spots.

This should set our regulars in stone. It also gets Yanni Gourde cemented back in the top-9, playing with guys who can score, which should help him out a lot. Yanni will pick up the odd goal if he has guys putting pucks on net beside him.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Getting the third pick helps make this a touch more palatable. The Bolts seem to draft better later anyway. :P

It’s just that I like to see a 1st round pick get a bit better return than Goodrow so I hesitate to call this ‘good’ until we see what happens with the additions.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Value is off but not a massive overpay with the 3rd coming back. I can see what Briesbois is thinking with these moves as these guys are signed for another year and cheap, much better than paying big for a pure rental. If we win the Cup this year or next it's a win and that's all that matters. Briesbois still has a lot of work to do in the offseason to make these deals worthwhile with offloading money and recouping assets.

I would do all I can to move Johnson this summer. He's just a shooter at this point and he's currently having confidence issues with that. Coleman should replace him in the top 6 as he can score 20 and adds a lot more to the line than what Johnson does. I would bring up Barre-Boulet to replace Killorn, he's ready for a look and can give the middle 6 a scoring threat. Stephens replaces Paquette. If we get a 1st and a couple of 2nd's for those three players that's a win as well. My lineup for next year.

Stamkos - Point - Kucherov
Palat - Cirelli - Coleman
Barre-Boulet - Stephens - Gourde
Verheaghe - Goodrow - Volkov

We only need to move one of killorn/ Johnny

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
40 years ago a coach said this "Great moments are born from great opportunities." This could well be the most talented team ever iced in Tampa. Adding at the deadline Should have been quality no brain decisions that could help put the team over the top. The reality of the adds made here are Mehhhh. To compare last years playoff bed shitting to this year is not logical. If the top lines perform like last year then it will be another 1 and done. To me I expect they will excel the issue will be injuries especially Point, Kuch and Stammer one of those guys goes there is no plan to replace them. Coleman is not in the same league So we will rely on Killer and Palat.

Unless a draft pick is top 10 they are expendable. After the top 10 picks historically less than 50% of those players will play 200 games in the league. Even with that fact it does not allow a GM to just piss picks away for nothing. The three guys added recently will not be difference makers come playoff time. Coleman has 5 games playoff experience Bogo has ZERO games in the playoffs and Goodrow has 22 games. Nothing indicates any impact form these guys. Warm bodies to stop the bleeding if injury strikes is all that has been done. Again "Great moments are born from great opportunities." One has been missed here. Now we rely on the team to remain healthy to make a run. While we watched other teams improve yesterday or make real attempts to do so. Boston and the Pens are going to be the speed bumps in the east now and we should have been.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad