Confirmed with Link: [TBL/NYR] Namestnikov, Howden, Hajek, 1st rd pk, con. 2nd for J.T. Miller & Ryan McDonagh

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Not sure why Vlad was included in the deal unless New York really wanted him badly, I think Miller is a better player but Vlad was already such a fit on the team and brings the goal scoring element with 20 goals already on the season. We can agree that McDonagh was at least the 1st, Hajek and Howden but was the conditional 2nd and Vlad really worth it for Miller? Miller still has upside and has actually hit 50+ points, Vlad likely won't match this season again.

Stpilots98

Nov 11, 2008

Attachments

• E30AC625-493F-407C-B7A3-20598CD42EBA.png
    E30AC625-493F-407C-B7A3-20598CD42EBA.png
    852.1 KB · Views: 16

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Not sure why Vlad was included in the deal unless New York really wanted him badly, I think Miller is a better player but Vlad was already such a fit on the team and brings the goal scoring element with 20 goals already on the season. We can agree that McDonagh was at least the 1st, Hajek and Howden but was the conditional 2nd and Vlad really worth it for Miller? Miller still has upside and has actually hit 50+ points, Vlad likely won't match this season again.
Age, stats this season, playoff experience, versatility at center and wing - there's a lot of similarities. That makes me think it was Yzerman who wanted to make an equal swap for Vladdy. Where J.T. does separate himself from Vladdy is he uses his body a lot more. Maybe Yzerman wanted a little more of a physical player.

Reactions: belford222

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
A really good east-west hockey player and a mediocre/below average north-south player. He is not able to lead his own line, not really a good center, average defensively. So if you want him to succeed, put him on the line with another skilled forward and prepare for fun. Dont listen to other Tampa fans. Most of them hate Namestnikov for his next year contract and not for his actual game.

He’s great at things like puck possession and zone entries. Won’t carry a line offensively but has enough ability to gel well with highly skilled linemates. One of those guys who’s underrated most of the time but overrated if you look solely at his current production and think he can put up those numbers on any line. Also a very likable guy - I didn’t want to see us overpay him but I’m sad to see him go.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Age, stats this season, playoff experience, versatility at center and wing - there's a lot of similarities. That makes me think it was Yzerman who wanted to make an equal swap for Vladdy. Where J.T. does separate himself from Vladdy is he uses his body a lot more. Maybe Yzerman wanted a little more of a physical player.

Again, look at Miller’s faceoff numbers this season; I bet that had a lot to do with it.

Reactions: AmbulanceChaser

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
Now that I've had the time to cool off a bit I have to say, what a rollercoaster of emotions it was. First it was the anxiety of the whole day day to hear some news about who we were getting, then the desperation to hear SOMETHING as the deadline drew closer, then the disbelief and excitement of hearing we actually got a top guy, then the horror of finding out we also got Miller and thinking we did something boneheaded and traded away a guy like Point and finally the absolute elation to hear we got all that without giving up any of our core pieces. That was a crazy 30 minutes to say the least :laugh:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Everyone saying the Rag's got fleeced, it's a solid trade for the Rags, there are a ton of people who are uneducated on our prospects just looking to harp on them. Value was definitely steep even if it didn't involve a big name, we gave up 2 first round selections, a first round pick, a 2nd that can be turned into a first and a 2nd round prospect who's developed extremely well into at least a 1st round caliber player.

For most teams that's a ton of value, it just looks bad because the Lighting have such a deep pool it doesn't seem like they took much of a hit. And may look worse because he was traded as a 2 year rental while I believe we'll have an extremely good chance at re-signing him.

But we have up two 27th overall picks, a 37th overall and hopefully two 31st overall for a 12th overall and a 15th overall. I don't think you can trade up to 12th from 27th with just the 31st pick, 15 might be close but still don't think it happens so the 37th pick bridges that gap on both and it's a wash pick trading wise.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
But we have up two 27th overall picks, a 37th overall and hopefully two 31st overall for a 12th overall and a 15th overall. I don't think you can trade up to 12th from 27th with just the 31st pick, 15 might be close but still don't think it happens so the 37th pick bridges that gap on both and it's a wash pick trading wise.

You also take in the risk factor of that 15th overall being able to walk in a year and a half.....

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Is anyone else spooked Kucherov might be bummed about having his best pal gone? Having your best pal around could be the determining factor when signing long term.

Reactions: NatoGhost

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Is anyone else spooked Kucherov might be bummed about having his best pal gone? Having your best pal around could be the determining factor when signing long term.
Eh - at the end of the day I think he wants to win and it's hard to look at this deal and say that the Tampa Bay Lightning now aren't better than the Tampa Bay Lightning yesterday.

Reactions: DaBolts

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Eh - at the end of the day I think he wants to win and it's hard to look at this deal and say that the Tampa Bay Lightning now aren't better than the Tampa Bay Lightning yesterday.
Plus isn't he close with Vasi as well as Palat and Tyler (didn't they bond during the TKO phase?)

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
If Kuch is lonely, tell him to convince Gusev to come here and we'll trade Sustr for his rights then sign him.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad