Confirmed with Link: [TBL/NSH] Lightning trade Ryan McDonagh for D Philippe Myers and F Grant Mismash

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I bet he'll be fine to the end of that contract. Ripping this bandaid off now just gives us more room and time to make more runs. I'd expect 91/77 to be good if not great players into the mid to late 30s and the surrounding cast to them currently is a few years behind. The real issue was getting Cernak and Sergachev locked up with some combination of that McDonagh money now that way you're only trying to shoehorn someone into a 4/5 role via farm or free agency rather than having to spend big money on free agent D.

I can tell none of you know shit about Myers and thats fine but just say so before complaining, they didn't get him as a throw in. Hes a 25 year old defender that has bounced around a bit but when played slotted into that... 4/5 slot. Hes big and mobile and will likely play into the next few years on this blueline.

Reactions: PettersonHughes

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
If that rumor is true, this would be the first time I’m disappointed in the organization since Vinik took over :(

Reactions: Todd1a

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
That seems hard to believe. I think both would understand the circumstances. Tampa can approach other players if he didn't want to. It doesn't make sense.

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
I don't get how we went from protecting him to moving him within a year. That's the one thing about this that makes no sense to me.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
There is no way that got leaked even if it's true - I highly doubt that backup plan but then again, McD doesn't seem too thrilled about being moved.
Yeah, I hope it's not, because you have to think the locker room would not be too happy about it, and rightfully so. Most of them have NTCs and took less money based at least in part because of them. Doing players dirty to get out of a contract negotiated in good faith is a road I hope we don't go down.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't get how we went from protecting him to moving him within a year. That's the one thing about this that makes no sense to me.
Probably weren't as worried about the contract last year after the post-season he had, and wanted him for one more cup run while Sergachev matured. Now it's more like, ready or not, here Sergy comes.

Reactions: NatoGhost

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Probably weren't as worried about the contract last year after the post-season he had, and wanted him for one more cup run while Sergachev matured. Now it's more like, ready or not, here Sergy comes.

I think those RFA numbers are going to come in a lot higher than we think. JBB hasn't really signed a steal of a contract, a lot of them are kinda just right on the ball or higher, definitely not an Yzerman in that regards. Remember the initial Cirelli, Cernak and Sergachev deals? Even Vasi's deal, all higher than what this board projected.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think those RFA numbers are going to come in a lot higher than we think. JBB hasn't really signed a steal of a contract, a lot of them are kinda just right on the ball or higher, definitely not an Yzerman in that regards. Remember the initial Cirelli, Cernak and Sergachev deals? Even Vasi's deal, all higher than what this board projected.
I feel like Yzerman's strengths were in negotiating and drafting (we haven't drafted a gem, or had a player crazily exceed expectations since his departure). JBB has made some good trades and done some all around cap wizardry. Put those two together and it shows how the team was built/managed.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
According to Nick Kypreos, If McDonagh didnt agree to a trade, they were gonna waive him and had a commitment from Columbus to claim him

Around 10:30 in

I doubt they put it to him exactly that way. It was probably more like "we might be forced to waive and then who knows where you might end up, this is your chance to have a say in where you go"

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
McDonagh contract will be a nightmare very soon, and we dished him out just in time IMO. He's a warrior, but his play took a step back this season already. We'll look back to this thinking "thank god" in one year or two IMO
I agree completely. Also, Palat is my favorite Tampa player, but I'm not sure about re-signing him either. Unless he takes a massive franchise friendly deal, which he should not.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
I feel like Yzerman's strengths were in negotiating and drafting (we haven't drafted a gem, or had a player crazily exceed expectations since his departure). JBB has made some good trades and done some all around cap wizardry. Put those two together and it shows how the team was built/managed.
Yzerman first round draft picks would be a great Google sesh for you

Reactions: Zwui21

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I bet he'll be fine to the end of that contract. Ripping this bandaid off now just gives us more room and time to make more runs. I'd expect 91/77 to be good if not great players into the mid to late 30s and the surrounding cast to them currently is a few years behind. The real issue was getting Cernak and Sergachev locked up with some combination of that McDonagh money now that way you're only trying to shoehorn someone into a 4/5 role via farm or free agency rather than having to spend big money on free agent D.

I can tell none of you know shit about Myers and thats fine but just say so before complaining, they didn't get him as a throw in. Hes a 25 year old defender that has bounced around a bit but when played slotted into that... 4/5 slot. Hes big and mobile and will likely play into the next few years on this blueline.
Honestly would like to hear why you think this will help us make another run?

Not being sarcastic. Just want to know why you think that. To me (and I dont know shit) this sets us back A LOT.

The way I see it, they're either gonna have to improve their play a lot (not sure how this group can do that. I think they're maxed out), or they have to improve the offense a lot in order to make up for the obvious attrition on defense.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
McD is not a child. Like I am struggling to even post this. Every word is harder than the last. He is an adult with human agency.
Yep, he's a multi-millionaire with 2 cup rings who's going to play for a good team. Just think a second about the sacrifice regular people need to do on daily basis. Losing McD sucks, he'll be fine tho.

Reactions: Hoek and NatoGhost

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yzerman first round draft picks would be a great Google sesh for you
2nd and 3rds turned out okay.
Players get NMC because it gives them control. It’s value. They don’t get them because they don’t think they can be traded. This is a dumb HF boards hive mind groupthink.
Yeah, but I doubt they expect to have the team remove that control and say, "If you don't waive you'll end up in Columbus." I'm just saying I hope that didn't happen.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

to me serg was high and so was cirell cernak came in about where I thought. I definitely thought he could get vasy at 8.5 to 9.0 per year after that sweep of the bluejackets on us. That vasy contract was done before the two cups.

Reactions: cashinstinct

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
Wonder if maybe McD knew he would be moved in a year or two as part of JBB protecting him. Shit, at the very least even if he didn't, choosing to go to Nashville is a way better option than being forced to go to the Kraken, right?

Reactions: Volodya Krutov

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Yeah he's that kind of defenseman that's helped them become successful these past couple years (I wouldn't be surprised if has a Jan Rutta/ Erik Cernak/ Zach Bogosian in him so he can probably fill in next to Hedman, even if the Swede has to carry his pairing for awhile). Tampa can probably use him and mold him into another great D-man (since their left is so strong with Hedman and Sergachev still there). He was also a 18-19 minute guy on Philly and was decently rated as part of their future.

Reactions: Volodya Krutov

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
Crazy to see Toronto have 3 of the 7 highest cap hits and still cant get out of the first round. Florida cant win anything past round 1, Chicago won their cups and now are over paying for Seth Jones and Toews , Rangers are at least competitive with Fox and Panarin (expect Shesty to hit double digits his next contract) , Dallas is a fringe playoff team, LA won their cups and havent really done much since, VGK is in a worse cap situation than we have ever had and is turning into a circus, SJ is a hell hole for overpaid dmen, MTL is paying price like hes in his Hart season, Boston actually has some good contracts, and Ovi has carried that Caps team for a long time.

You've got it backwards. I would totally expect to see the teams with the highest individual cap hits be the ones that can't produce in the playoffs. The name of the game is resource management, and if you're having to pay full market rate for your top talent then you're losing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad