Confirmed with Link: [TBL/NSH] Lightning trade Ryan McDonagh for D Philippe Myers and F Grant Mismash

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
BriseBois doesn't give a shit about players feelings or trade value. He cares about how he can manage the cap going forward and whoever gets in the way is up for trade or waivers.

He traded Miller because he wasn't a fit for less value because he wanted the cap space. He overpaid for Goodrow and Coleman because they were win now options he knew would help. He added to Johnson to get him off the books, he sold McDonagh low for the cap savings. He paid more for Hagel because of the cap savings. He doesn't care about anything other than getting the best 21 players he can at 82.5M. So draft picks, prospects and players beware you may be gone tomorrow.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
BriseBois doesn't give a shit about players feelings or trade value. He cares about how he can manage the cap going forward and whoever gets in the way is up for trade or waivers.

He traded Miller because he wasn't a fit for less value because he wanted the cap space. He overpaid for Goodrow and Coleman because they were win now options he knew would help. He added to Johnson to get him off the books, he sold McDonagh low for the cap savings. He paid more for Hagel because of the cap savings. He doesn't care about anything other than getting the best 21 players he can at 82.5M. So draft picks, prospects and players beware you may be gone tomorrow.
Now let’s see if he pays palat a big pay day

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
BriseBois doesn't give a shit about players feelings or trade value.
He is ruthless and relentless. He will do whatever he needs to field the best team he can to give Cooper the best chance at another Cup.

McD hurts in the short term - he's a MN which makes me even more biased - but, if any of our D men step up (other than Heddy who does consistently), we'll be okay.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
Yeah, I hope it's not, because you have to think the locker room would not be too happy about it, and rightfully so. Most of them have NTCs and took less money based at least in part because of them. Doing players dirty to get out of a contract negotiated in good faith is a road I hope we don't go down.
We tried the same move with Johnson, and that was a triplets line guy who bled Bolts blue. McD was a big part of two Cups, but he didn't come up through the org like TJ did, so I don't see how this is somehow worse.

At some point, you have to bow to the realities of the business and fortunately the rest of the guys in the room seem to recognize that.

2nd and 3rds turned out okay.

Yeah, but I doubt they expect to have the team remove that control and say, "If you don't waive you'll end up in Columbus." I'm just saying I hope that didn't happen.
It's not doing him dirty. There's exactly one difference between a NTC and an NMC, and this right here is it.

If McD didn't want to deal with this possibility, he should've taken less money in order to get the full NMC. But he didn't.

(And if players don't understand the difference between the two, they need to fire their agents.)

Reactions: Maelmoor and Zwui21

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Honestly would like to hear why you think this will help us make another run?

Not being sarcastic. Just want to know why you think that. To me (and I dont know shit) this sets us back A LOT.

The way I see it, they're either gonna have to improve their play a lot (not sure how this group can do that. I think they're maxed out), or they have to improve the offense a lot in order to make up for the obvious attrition on defense.
Yes, exactly. I'm not here to tell you 27 was a bad defender, he was amazing for us, but to be able to squeeze in a few more runs we're going to be more reliant on smaller post-covid contracts where a flat cap was taken into account. It gives us financial flexibility but also provides another problem. They're not in the clear here, but they just paved a way for Cernak and Sergachev to stay.
Yeah he's that kind of defenseman that's helped them become successful these past couple years (I wouldn't be surprised if has a Jan Rutta/ Erik Cernak/ Zach Bogosian in him so he can probably fill in next to Hedman, even if the Swede has to carry his pairing for awhile). Tampa can probably use him and mold him into another great D-man (since their left is so strong with Hedman and Sergachev still there). He was also a 18-19 minute guy on Philly and was decently rated as part of their future.
Time will tell. They've always seemed to take a chance on big men that can skate, even if the decision making can be suspect.

Now let’s see if he pays palat a big pay day
I don't think you'll see that at all, they'll try to retain him but i'd honestly be shocked if he somehow negotiated his way into an AAV over his current number.

Reactions: PJ817

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

Apparently, if true. Not always wise though if you plan on leveraging good will and team identity in contract negotiations with teammates though

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
If anything this should tell you he is not going to Palat is ridiculous term just to keep him and should tell Palat that he is very expendable when the time comes if he does sign here.

The idea would be to give long term for a below-market AAV. The way to out-talent the competition is to get guys at less than they're worth, and spend the money on more talent.

And the way to win Cups is to press your advantage, rob from the future to get better today when today is already talented. I want the best talent we can get while Kuch, Point and Vasy are still prime and Hedman and Stamkos haven't yet fallen off a cliff. 2027 or whatever be damned.

As for what the McDonagh move tells us, it's most likely that JBB thinks McD is no longer a good value at $6.75m, and the CBA doesn't let guy on existing contracts (McDonagh) take pay cuts, but it does let free agents (Palat) do so.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
We tried the same move with Johnson, and that was a triplets line guy who bled Bolts blue. McD was a big part of two Cups, but he didn't come up through the org like TJ did, so I don't see how this is somehow worse.

At some point, you have to bow to the realities of the business and fortunately the rest of the guys in the room seem to recognize that.

It's not doing him dirty. There's exactly one difference between a NTC and an NMC, and this right here is it.

If McD didn't want to deal with this possibility, he should've taken less money in order to get the full NMC. But he didn't.

(And if players don't understand the difference between the two, they need to fire their agents.)
I dont think we did that with Johnson. There was speculation here that we might, but if I remember correctly, johnson worked with us, and his trade list continually expanded. The year before he did end up on waivers, but nobody took him.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
I dont think we did that with Johnson. There was speculation here that we might, but if I remember correctly, johnson worked with us, and his trade list continually expanded. The year before he did end up on waivers, but nobody took him.

I don't think you're remembering the timeline correctly. It was the year he had the full NTC that he was working with us on trade destinations, and then we waived him that same off-season when we couldn't find one that he would waive to. We only succeeded in trading him the following year when his NTC went partial.

In any case, I'm not sure why you think we didn't do the same thing with TJ that we did with McDonagh. I mean, flat waiving a guy with no warning is actually worse for him than letting him know you're gonna waive him before you do so, in order to give him a chance to forego his NTC so he can control where he lands (which we repeatedly did with McD). Why do you think we didn't let TJ know we were going to waive him before we did?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't think you're remembering the timeline correctly. It was the year he had the full NTC that he was working with us on trade destinations, and then we waived him that same off-season when we couldn't find one that he would waive to. We only succeeded in trading him the following year when his NTC went partial.

In any case, I'm not sure why you think we didn't do the same thing with TJ that we did with McDonagh. I mean, flat waiving a guy with no warning is actually worse for him than letting him know you're gonna waive him before you do so, in order to give him a chance to forego his NTC so he can control where he lands (which we repeatedly did with McD). Why do you think we didn't let TJ know we were going to waive him before we did?
It's the side deal with CBJ that makes it worse, IMO. That feels like circumvention.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
It's the side deal with CBJ that makes it worse, IMO. That feels like circumvention.

"Deal" makes it sound mischievous. I don't think there's anything wrong with checking in with other GM's about waivers intentions. We're talking about a legal transaction in the CBA.

If we're sending Columbus an asset to claim him, then that's a problem.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
"Deal" makes it sound mischievous. I don't think there's anything wrong with checking in with other GM's about waivers intentions. We're talking about a legal transaction in the CBA.

If we're sending Columbus an asset to claim him, then that's a problem.

Yep, or if Columbus promised us something back if we waived and they claimed, would also be a problem.

Hopefully neither of those problematic moves is what was going on here. Heck, even just threatening to do something like that -- in order to force McD's hand -- would be kinda shady.

With the info coming in at third or fourth hand like this I don't think we'll get to know what actually happened. I'm going to assume it was nothing more than Tampa approaching Columbus for a trade, finding something mutually agreeable with either positive or neutral return to us, but McD wouldn't waive his NTC. So we tell him, well if we have to waive you then Columbus is just going to claim you, so let's work something out.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
and at that point, we're not better or different than VGK

and if true, then JBB is worse of a person than I originally thought

What's the issue? As long as we're not talking some disguised trade with Columbus, it's all above board.

As I said earlier, there is exactly one difference between NMC and NTC, and protection against getting moved by waivers is it. Stammer gave us a discount commensurate with the full NMC, McD did not. Everyone is going into this stuff with eyes wide open.

And again, we made exactly the same move with TJ. The only difference is that he held more leverage because he was playing so poorly that no other teams were interested in picking up his contract for free.

Reactions: Zwui21 and Hoek

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Good. Regardless of all the "business is business" stuff, this didn't sit well with me. No matter how much we want to move contracts, I really don't think it sets a good precedent to start messing with NMCs that were negotiated in good faith. Guys like coming to TB because we have a reputation for treating players fairly. I really don't want to see that change.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I wish kypreos would be held responsible for shit like that. That kind of stuff, if true, deters future UFAs from landing where management pulls that off. Even if we are a well run organization that is successful, that would cause hesitation. But instead, you can make rumors and say "I heard" or "someone told me" and let it fly. What a joke.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I wish kypreos would be held responsible for shit like that. That kind of stuff, if true, deters future UFAs from landing where management pulls that off. Even if we are a well run organization that is successful, that would cause hesitation. But instead, you can make rumors and say "I heard" or "someone told me" and let it fly. What a joke.
The one organization that Kypreos seems connected to is the Rangers. So I'm wondering if there was some telephone game going on here with teammates and former teammates of McDonagh, and this was the story that he wound up getting.

Wester

Oct 5, 2020
Hungary
Guys to be fair CBJ GM saying its not true, doesn't make it not true :D. Why would a GM ever admit that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad