Confirmed with Link: [TBL/NSH] Lightning trade Ryan McDonagh for D Philippe Myers and F Grant Mismash

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
So Bogosian plays top 4? And the solution is midget Garland? Lol

I mean we are trying to re-sign Rutta who'll play in the top 4. I see a lot of talk about bringing Gourde back and Garland is bigger. He's the same height as Point. He's a relentless forechecker who maybe doesn't hit as much as you want but he creates turnovers. Palat has been producing less lately and isn't going to start scoring anymore than he does now. A nice playoff run shouldn't make us keep him around.

Reactions: PJ817

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
You cannot replace 2020 McD, but the 2022 McD can be replaced (I'll still miss him!). Thought Serg was clearly better than him in the playoffs, so we pretty much promote Serg to the second pairing.

His shot blocking will be missed, but he struggled against speed the whole playoffs and if we plan beat teams like the Leafs again, then we need to make adjustments.

Reactions: BoltzManConstant

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
4ee3be1bcb0ea252a08516433e814889_6f8e424c00f06f3bfa784d9f3d2bd127.jpg
He was worth at least a 2nd. Damn dude

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
LOT'S of future cap swallowed by silly Predators. Congrats! I wondered how you could get rid of Tyler Johnson. Beats me this time, too.

Last edited:

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Maybe we cleared the rooM to sign forsberg? Lol
Just trade Killorn for something plussy!

Filip Forsberg / Johnny Gaudreau - Brayden Point - Nikita Kucherov
Brandon Hagel - Anthony Cirelli - Steven Stamkos
Nick Paul - Ross Colton - Corey Perry
Pat Maroon - P-É Bellemare - Alex Barré-Boulet

Victor Hedman - Erik Cernak
Mikhail Sergachyov - Philippe Myers
(Jan Rutta) - Zach Bogosian / Cal Foote

Andrei Vasilevsky
Brian Elliott / Hugo Alnefelt

Reactions: Todd1a

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
McDonagh has been a warrior and stinks salary cap pain hits again. Glad he''s a "Stanley Cup" champion....

Wondering if Lightning should've protected Gourde in expansion draft, if McDonagh was only going to be here one more year?

His NMC forced us to protect him.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
The more I think about this trade the more pissed off I get. I have serious doubts of JBB, to be fair I had it before this. This trade however just made it so much worse. We just gave Nashville a damn good defenseman and what did we get in return? Scraps from the dog bowl? Jesus Christ.....

Reactions: Todd1a

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
The more I think about this trade the more pissed off I get. I have serious doubts of JBB, to be fair I had it before this. This trade however just made it so much worse. We just gave Nashville a damn good defenseman and what did we get in return? Scraps from the dog bowl? Jesus Christ.....
Yep it’s tough but it was nothing but a money dump! I’m not sure I’d keep palat over a legit top 2 defenseman on this team .

Reactions: Bolt32

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Yep it’s tough but it was nothing but a money dump! I’m not sure I’d keep palat over a legit top 2 defenseman on this team .

Guy is a legit top pairing defenseman.....Your trying to tell me the most we could get for a top pairing defenseman was a cap dump? I mean I wasn't expecting a return like a Mortiz Seider or something unreasonable. Just get us something in return...either now or in the future. Hes mortgaged our future to go after a third cup to make us a legit dynasty. I can get behind that honestly. Though he failed to get us scoring depth in the process (Paul was the exception. Though with that said Rick Dudley found Marty St.Louis for us and no one would suggest he was a hockey genius.). Now we have no future, he's trading away really good core pieces from us and getting nothing in return.

Please prove me wrong JBB. Please.

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
Guy is a legit top pairing defenseman.....Your trying to tell me the most we could get for a top pairing defenseman was a cap dump? I mean I wasn't expecting a return like a Mortiz Seider or something unreasonable. Just get us something in return...either now or in the future. Hes mortgaged our future to go after a third cup to make us a legit dynasty. I can get behind that honestly. Though he failed to get us scoring depth in the process (Paul was the exception. Though with that said Rick Dudley found Marty St.Louis for us and no one would suggest he was a hockey genius.). Now we have no future, he's trading away really good core pieces from us and getting nothing in return.

Of course we could get more, if he didn't have an NTC and we weren't up against the cap. McDonagh had to approve any trade we wanted to make and Nashville knew we pretty much had to trade him. It's called no leverage.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
McDonagh has been a warrior and stinks salary cap pain hits again. Glad he''s a "Stanley Cup" champion....

Wondering if Lightning should've protected Gourde in expansion draft, if McDonagh was only going to be here one more year?
Then we'd be losing someone else to keep Gourde or just shipping off Gourde again. Considering we were just 2 wins away from 3 peat I think we made the right call.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Of course we could get more, if he didn't have an NTC and we weren't up against the cap. McDonagh had to approve any trade we wanted to make and Nashville knew we pretty much had to trade him. It's called no leverage.

Yeah....Even still. I wouldn't of made the deal to be honest then.

There comes a certain point where when you make the deal you need to look at the long term ramifications of it or the short term. Where does it help you? This gives us cap space to sign Palat, awesome. We should get him signed. Though I would of felt much more comfortable telling Killorn he needed to take a walk than Mcdonagh.

Killorn there was a 16 team trade list he would of had to submit if we asked him to do it. The real question is. Would we rather get rid of Mcdonagh for this crap return? Or Trade Killorn? The answer for me is simple.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

I would have thought he could have got like a 2nd and 3rd rounder for mcdonagh I mean at least a couple of draft picks for him not a AHLER and a 7th or 8th depth defenseman.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
I would have thought he could have got like a 2nd and 3rd rounder for mcdonagh I mean at least a couple of draft picks for him not a AHLER and a 7th or 8th depth defenseman.

Yeah, I would of loved for us to get some draft capital. We honestly should of had some picks going our way. That or the very least a young prospect that our scouting staff was high on that they had. We got nothing.......This sucks.

Reactions: Coopers Gum

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Yeah....Even still. I wouldn't of made the deal to be honest then.

There comes a certain point where when you make the deal you need to look at the long term ramifications of it or the short term. Where does it help you? This gives us cap space to sign Palat, awesome. We should get him signed. Though I would of felt much more comfortable telling Killorn he needed to take a walk than Mcdonagh.

Killorn there was a 16 team trade list he would of had to submit if we asked him to do it. The real question is. Would we rather get rid of Mcdonagh for this crap return? Or Trade Killorn? The answer for me is simple.
Yes i agree I would have shipped killorn out of here and kept Ryan mcdonagh for another year and make another run! I would have tried to sign palat but if he wanted too much money we could have found something in free agency for 2-3 million per season for a top 9 forward. Id let rutta walk since I would be keeping mcdonagh and replace rutta with cal foote.

Yeah, I would of loved for us to get some draft capital. We honestly should of had some picks going our way. That or the very least a young prospect that our scouting staff was high on that they had. We got nothing.......This sucks.
Yep I agree we did get nothing these two guys we got in the trade won’t be here in 2024 I don’t think there any good. Man I would have taken even a 3rd and 4th rounder lol 😂 our scouts could have done something with that.

Consider what we gave up for mcdonagh two first rounders howden, vladdy and hybak that defenseman I can’t spell. For Miller and mcdonagh.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Yes i agree I would have shipped killorn out of here and kept Ryan mcdonagh for another year and make another run! I would have tried to sign palat but if he wanted too much money we could have found something in free agency for 2-3 million per season for a top 9 forward. Id let rutta walk since I would be keeping mcdonagh and replace rutta with cal foote.

I'm not too versed in UFA's right now. Though if we can find some guys with a bit of Hustle and foot speed to bring in our Bottom 6 that is what I would be gunning for now. One thing that Colorado did was open my eyes to how we aren't that fast of a team anymore. We can use a little bit more JAM in the lineup.

Reactions: Coopers Gum

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I'm not too versed in UFA's right now. Though if we can find some guys with a bit of Hustle and foot speed to bring in our Bottom 6 that is what I would be gunning for now. One thing that Colorado did was open my eyes to how we aren't that fast of a team anymore. We can use a little bit more JAM in the lineup.
Tyler motte I like a lot think he would do well with paul on line 3.

TROY STECHER I like but he is another righty! These moves would be assuming we didn’t sign palat or rutta. But younger guys.​

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
If JBB buys out Myers I like the trade for cap purposes.

If he doesn't buy out Myers and we lose Rutta than its gonna cost them. No way they go on a deep run with the way the team is looking rn, with barely any if the cap relief from moving McD....WHICH WAS THE WHOLE f***ING POINT OF MOVING HIM

Reactions: JTBF81

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
The cap relief is not just about this year though. Now that a repeat win isn't on the line I think we're looking slightly more long term than we did last year.

Reactions: BoltzManConstant

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
So if it was more about the 23/24 season and beyond, why didn't Tampa just trade him next summer? I honestly don't think his play is going off a cliff this season - he's far from done and is still a very solid defenseman. Rest during the off-season will do him well, just like everyone else on the team. And it's not as if the return would be at stake, and no, I don’t think we would have had to add to move him, just wouldn't have gotten much back like what happened yesterday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad