GDT: TBL @ BUF 7:30PM TV:ESPN/ESPN+ Radio:WGR - His name is Jonas

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
This game sets the tone for the season. Will we crumble when Tampa starts cracking skulls or match their level of violence?
Cozens will likely fight tonight to compensate for how bad he's been.

I'd like an ot comeback win with bloody noses and lost teeth. Old time hockey! Time to end the reign of terror. "Two teams enter, one team leaves!"

Or maybe I've played too much NHLPA 93 on the genesis...

Yes! Yes! He's gone!!!!!!!!

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

FREEEE THE JOSTEN !!!!
Sit VO, put Jost back with Kyle and Zem, promote Krebs to the hardworking line of Mitts-Greenway. Feels weird to say that about them, but they've earned it.

Oh well then... I was kind of right
12-37-9 has been the Sabres most consistently engaged line in all three zones. Krebs will help Cozens get engaged. Peterka's been fine on that line.

Reactions: Dingo44 and Jim Bob

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I expect Krebs to be a better than VO. But he hasn't exactly been good when tried on the wing.

I'm hoping at minimum he helps calm Cozens down. He's been forcing things and trying to do it all himself.

Maybe even have Krebs center the line sometimes. He's better defensively than DC is right now and maybe being on the wing wakes DC up and he'll use his shot.

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
This might be a hot take but I really don’t think this roster is decidedly more talented than ours.
Their top end talent has a pretty wide gap on their capabilities on the ice compared to our high end talent at the forward position. But they are very effective in how they play their game. Dahlin is the closest player to anybody for Tampa's top players in terms of skillset.

If Buffalo gets involved in a game where the penalty box is open frequently, they will have a long night, especially if they play the PK in the same coverages we've seen this year. You leave Paul alone on the PP, like they typically do with forwards at PK, no matter how well you play 5 vs 5 they will get torched.

Reactions: BuffaloMango

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Hate that this already feels like a must-win with the slow start, and that I could see us making JJ look like prime Hasek.

Really hope this game doesn't devolve into the usual BS with Tampa where they get at least four or five PPs off ticky-tack calls but are allowed to board, tackle, elbow, and generally cheap-shot the Sabres with impunity

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
Maybe even have Krebs center the line sometimes. He's better defensively than DC is right now and maybe being on the wing wakes DC up and he'll use his shot.
This is 100% what I'd do ... decide who is better on draws but let Krebs play the Center position where his passing can be utilized better. Cozens really strikes me as a winger and think it'd help his game be more focused on what he's good at. He's a great skater, has a decent shot and can play with some jam. Feels like he could be a lot like Tuch on the wing.

BuffaloMango

Mar 14, 2023
If we can get the the top two lines going I will feel a lot better, even if we lose a 3rd in a row.

From a schedule/house keeping perspective losing to TB isn't the worst. But one thing I am paying attention to this year is linking losses together. That includes OT loses. No real data, but in a quick scan of last years standings, most playoff teams only had ~4-ish 4 game skids and almost never went over 4 games. For me last season was more about going on losing streaks rather than total number of games lost.

Starting with 3 losses would suck, but it is manageable. I think my nerves will start tingling quite a bit with 4 loses.

I can stay positive with a 3-6 start but the team never loses more than 2 in a row. To me that would read as an improvement from last year. The 22-23 team would turn something like that into 9 loses.

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
Their top end talent has a pretty wide gap on their capabilities on the ice compared to our high end talent at the forward position. But they are very effective in how they play their game. Dahlin is the closest player to anybody for Tampa's top players in terms of skillset.

If Buffalo gets involved in a game where the penalty box is open frequently, they will have a long night, especially if they play the PK in the same coverages we've seen this year. You leave Paul alone on the PP, like they typically do with forwards at PK, no matter how well you play 5 vs 5 they will get torched.
Agreed ... our top line talent is lower-end/easier to shutdown imo. Kucherov and Point would be our top two forwards quite easily. I'd take Tage over Stamkos at this juncture of their careers of course.

Is Stamkos hurt? He always seems to score against us since his rookie year. It'd be nice if he didn't play tonight to help get us off the schnide.

Lastly, our depth is slightly better (if at all) when all lines are playing to their capabilities. Personally I think Jost was better with Girgs and Okposo last year than Krebs. This is a huge moment for Krebs to prove he's more than a 4th liner and I really hope he finds another gear offensively. I think we're seeing how little depth we truly have this year. Having Jack Quinn out has had a pretty large ripple effect on the lines and that is with the shock of an 18-year old phenom making the roster. Can you imagine this lineup without both Benson and Quinn right now?

Reactions: BuffaloMango

BuffaloMango

Mar 14, 2023
Mitts finally looks like a Man 😂

He is quickly becoming one of my favorite players on the roster. If not my favorite. Which is wild because he was my most frustrating for a good while.

If his play continues like this, we can't afford not to sign him. We have too many forwards (especially centers) we don't have a good two way game. He would be a huge loss going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad