Confirmed Signing with Link: [TBL] Anthony Cirelli signs extension (3 years, $4.8M AAV)

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
If we were still a top team without Fiala, and Fiala could come back for the playoffs, I’d take if for sure.

I was trying to create a vision where your team would need to find a solution to replace your best offensive plyer. Tampa has great depth but there is a huge void in there someone needs to replace or find a way around. It's probably manageable for them but harder than you might think since no one replaces Kucherov even on a team like Tampa. If that means they get Cirelli and Cernak signed sure that softens the blow but it's not exactly what I'd call a "solution", especially when they'll once again need to perform some cap gymnastics next offseason where they're already over the cap.

We also don't know what Kucherov's condition is going to be when he comes back, and even worse if this is the kind of injury that'll nag him for the rest of his career, but maybe that's going too far at this point.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I still think they move Johnson or Killorn, but Seattle taking a player and Coburn, Coleman, Goodrow and Paquette coming off the books next year as well, should they not be able to move anyone and not resign any of those 4.

They'll be fine. The core is locked up for some time now
removing goodrow from the roster won't save any cap.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
My quick perusal of capfriendly says that with a roster of 22, we need to move about 2.2 million before the season begins. Depending on how precise it is, that may be satisfied by moving two bodies to the taxi squad (Coburn + a non-league minimum player). I think that leaves us in a bind when there's an injury though, so there's probably still a body to be moved before the season starts.

I would still love to move Johnson but that seems less likely now.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Im not sure of your age but I remember the crash after the first Cup there was a 10 year period Where the team struggled despite retaining the Marty and Vinny show And as recently as 4 years ago with 94 points this team missed the playoffs. So I will remain concerned long term. Yes right now we have the best team in the league when Kuch is in the line up without him we are top 10. Shipping out critical secondary scorers and replacing them with long shots is something the Oilers and Leafs do.

And it has nothing to do with finding gems in the later rounds of the draft or signing undrafted guys. At some point it will crash. You do know that less than 20% of all NHL drafted players play more than 200 games. We will rue today signing Cirelli to this contract. But thats done now all that is left is to see how we get to 81.5 before Kuch comes off the IR.
A 94 point season where Tampa had several key injuries and was the best team or maybe 2nd best in terms of point % the last 30 games while missing the playoffs by one point. Yeah they were just terrible. Lol at Tampa only being top 10 without Kucherov as well, as they are still considerably better than that even without him. I see your crystal ball is working in full force again since you already know the team will "rue today signing Cirelli to this contract." Just because the team didn't trade Cirelli for watered down scratch off tickets or maybe prospects in exchange for holding on to guys like Johnson and Killorn(who while solid players are not the long term future of the team) doesn't mean this was a bad move or that the team will be ruined because of it. And yes, at some point Tampa will see the prime contending window end and a bit of a rebuild begin, but these signings aren't indicative of that happening for quite a few more years.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Ironically beat Tampa in the Stanley Cup finals that year. But Kane legit had a broken collarbone. They just held him out an extra month until the playoffs. Not an entire season.
Huh? Kane wasn't held out an extra month until the playoffs. Broke his collarbone on Feb 24th and was supposed to be out until June. Holding him out a month would mean he healed in two weeks

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Honestly, that's significantly more than I was expecting. JBB must have something in the works.

Reactions: hn777

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Im not sure of your age but I remember the crash after the first Cup there was a 10 year period Where the team struggled despite retaining the Marty and Vinny show And as recently as 4 years ago with 94 points this team missed the playoffs. So I will remain concerned long term. Yes right now we have the best team in the league when Kuch is in the line up without him we are top 10. Shipping out critical secondary scorers and replacing them with long shots is something the Oilers and Leafs do.

And it has nothing to do with finding gems in the later rounds of the draft or signing undrafted guys. At some point it will crash. You do know that less than 20% of all NHL drafted players play more than 200 games. We will rue today signing Cirelli to this contract. But thats done now all that is left is to see how we get to 81.5 before Kuch comes off the IR.

Without Kucherov, we're still top-3 in the league. Pretty easily. We have arguably the best C depth in the league, unquestionably the best defenseman in the league, and arguably the best goalie. Yeah, without Kucherov we're weak on the wings, but that doesn't knock us down a crazy amount. We're one of very few teams to have two legit #1 Cs + Hedman + Vasy. In their primes together.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Or you know, teams can just acquire those players through the draft and develop them with some competency and good training.

Point - 3rd rounder
Cirelli - 2nd rounder
Kucherov - 2nd rounder
Stephens - 2nd rounder
Joseph - 4th rounder
Palat - 7th rounder
Volkov - 2nd rounder
Killorn - 3rd rounder

Johnson - Undrafted
Alex Barre-Boule - Undrafted

The top end picks were obviously:

Stamkos
Hedman
Vasy

But, yeah, it was all because Tampa is where all the top UFA's go to sign which causes no parity. It's not the fact that Tampa's management and development has been top notch for the last decade.

Psstt...Cirelli was a 3rd rounder in 2015.:thumbu:

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
So, let me get this straight. After the LTIR of Kucherov, and sending down Stephens and Joseph to get to 20 man roster size, both who I assume are waiver exempt (?) but am not sure, you're up 716 thousand. Alternatively, you can waive Coburn and Rutta, not send down Stephens and Joseph, that would save you 675k. That brings the shortage to only 41k. If you then waive and bury Maroon, and bring up say Volkov, I assume you'd be cap compliant.

Thing is though, as I look at this cap, they're still over by 3.516M for 2021-22 even with everything that is coming off the books coming off the books, and that's with only 16 roster players. So maybe they still look to move people anyways? But they should just be able to get by putting a bunch of people on waivers this year, I think. Again, people correct me if I'm wrong or missing something.

Brisebois already said he could get cap compliant with waivers but he prefers not to do that so I see a trade coming Coburn? Or maybe killorn?

Hawkey

Sep 15, 2005
Not sure if it has been discussed but what happens if someone in the lightning gets injured during the season while kucherov is taking up all of the ltir room?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I was trying to create a vision where your team would need to find a solution to replace your best offensive plyer. Tampa has great depth but there is a huge void in there someone needs to replace or find a way around. It's probably manageable for them but harder than you might think since no one replaces Kucherov even on a team like Tampa. If that means they get Cirelli and Cernak signed sure that softens the blow but it's not exactly what I'd call a "solution", especially when they'll once again need to perform some cap gymnastics next offseason where they're already over the cap.

We also don't know what Kucherov's condition is going to be when he comes back, and even worse if this is the kind of injury that'll nag him for the rest of his career, but maybe that's going too far at this point.

Brayden Point had the same surgery last off-season, I think he had a decent playoffs this past year.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Brayden Point had the same surgery last off-season, I think he had a decent playoffs this past year.

To be fair, that was after a lot more rehab time, plus a couple of months of shutdown. He was a different player in the playoffs than he was in the regular season. Kucherov's not working with that kind of time. I can't see him being 100%.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Seems like he got a pretty good deal considering the squeeze.
Cirelli fits nice in Tampa. But Gourde and Cirelli making $9.9M together - that seems like a lot of coin.
Gourde finished 10-20-30 last year.
Cirelli was better at 16-28-44.
It just seems like a lot of coin on depth.

You've got 5 forwards in that $4-5.3M range.

That's highwire act right now. But might as well go for it, I guess - that's your best chance at catching lightning twice.

Reactions: MCB

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Cirelli fits nice in Tampa. But Gourde and Cirelli making $9.9M together - that seems like a lot of coin.

That's highwire act right now. But might as well go for it, I guess - that's your best chance at catching lightning twice.

Gourde was significantly better in the playoffs.

If we get through this year, things get remarkably easier. Especially if Tyler Johnson regains any value. Door is wide open for that, given our winger situation.

Reactions: MBH

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Tampa has generational cap management.

No, they don't. Generational cap management wouldn't involve you needing to be without your best offensive player and a league MVP for the entire season to get your RFAs signed. This wasn't some master stroke on Tampa's part. They have a guy with a 9M salary on LTIR who they will want to come back as soon as he can. Kudos for making it through without necessitating an awful cap dump... but they're robbing Peter to pay Paul right now. In a normal situation where Kucherov isn't injured (which would be preferable for Tampa, TBH), they'd be taking it in the dumper on value for a guy like Johnson. They're currently in the "landlord knows they got laid off and just need some time to not pay the rent to catch up" stage.

JBB has done a very admirable job and he should be commended for it, but this is a stay of execution for one of the heavy salaries they have, not a solution.

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017

44 points is really good for no pp time

Reactions: Curufinwe

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
My quick perusal of capfriendly says that with a roster of 22, we need to move about 2.2 million before the season begins. Depending on how precise it is, that may be satisfied by moving two bodies to the taxi squad (Coburn + a non-league minimum player). I think that leaves us in a bind when there's an injury though, so there's probably still a body to be moved before the season starts.

I would still love to move Johnson but that seems less likely now.

fwiw.

TBL: From CapFriendly

PROJECTED CAP HIT $93,191,666

Off Season Cap Limit: $81.5 + 10% = $89.65 m

About $3.55 m needs to be subtracted from TBL current offseason cap limit if I've done this correctly.

Tampa Bay Lightning - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Would think BriseBois has another move (trade) lined up otherwise he wouldn't have gone forward with these recent transactions.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad