Proposal: TB & Jets

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Easy no for Lightning.
Yes they need to make salary cap room. It won't be Cirelli.

Tyler Johnson Killorn will be traded not Cirelli.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I think he stands a good chance of an offer sheet if he isn't re-signed or traded before July.
Would the Bolts re-sign him to a 5 x 6.34m?
All they would get back is a 1st and a 3rd if they didn't and they would really paint themselves into a corner if they did.
My deal gives them a very good defensive center, a D man that won the D man of the year in the AHL two seasons ago and a 1st round pick.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I think he stands a good chance of an offer sheet if he isn't re-signed or traded before July.
Would the Bolts re-sign him to a 5 x 6.34m?
All they would get back is a 1st and a 3rd if they didn't and they would really paint themselves into a corner if they did.
My deal gives them a very good defensive center, a D man that won the D man of the year in the AHL two seasons ago and a 1st round pick.

1) Every year this will be the year of the offer sheet. And it never happens. And choice between Cirelli at 6 or Johnson or Killorn its easily Cirelli. Cirelli team control for 4 years you don't trade. It either bridge at 3.25m or longer term at 5.75m(Konecky deal)

2) Good d 4c at 2.9m. Not Lightning need in a cap world. And the D getting the promotion for TB will be Foote.

3) the 1st they will get for Johnson or Killorn.

Its an easy no.

Last edited:

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Also remember between canadian dollar and no state Florida tax. A 6m deal in Winnipeg is worth 4.75-5m in Florida. It is a BIG reason why Point chose TB deal over MTL making offer sheet.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Aren’t all NHL contracts, no matter if US or Canadian team, in US $ anyway? If it’s a $6 mil/year offer, it’s $6 mil US regardless
But CAD Taxes are much higher than USD taxes (at least until next election). Florida also has no state taxes. Its a legit take home difference Plus warmer beach weather to boot. Florida Tampa bay and Dallas have built in tax advantages over everyone else. For example if Mike Hoffman is offered same salary in free agency by Montreal and Dallas you can bet he is Dallas bound.

Think of Aho/Point contracts. Aho was offersheeted at 8.40m by Canadians while Point took 6.75m from Lightning. The tax allowed Point to take the discount. Could Point have been greedy and taken the 8.4m offer sheet and double dipped in TB? sure. And in Theory can Cirelli double dip? Sure. But players in TB such as Point and Stamkos have been team friendly due to the taxes.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Tampa is not moving Cirelli unless it's a massive overpayment. Jets' 1st doesn't come close.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Ledge And Dairy

But CAD Taxes are much higher than USD taxes (at least until next election). Florida also has no state taxes. Its a legit take home difference Plus warmer beach weather to boot. Florida Tampa bay and Dallas have built in tax advantages over everyone else. For example if Mike Hoffman is offered same salary in free agency by Montreal and Dallas you can bet he is Dallas bound.

Think of Aho/Point contracts. Aho was offersheeted at 8.40m by Canadians while Point took 6.75m from Lightning. The tax allowed Point to take the discount. Could Point have been greedy and taken the 8.4m offer sheet and double dipped in TB? sure. And in Theory can Cirelli double dip? Sure. But players in TB such as Point and Stamkos have been team friendly due to the taxes.
It's not only due to taxes, the players love their teammates, the management, and the fans. You see players taking team friendly deals in Tampa all the time but not nearly as often for the Stars, Preds, or even the Panthers for that matter.

I doubt he signs an offer sheet, he will likely get a deal closer to 5x5 (Zibanijad) then the Konecny deal due to offensive production.

As for the OP's post, This won't get Tampa to part with their young 2C, you will have to offer a lot better than that.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Cirelli for Jets' 1st rounder (top 10 protected), Lowry or Copp (TB's choice) and Niku.

Jets should not do anything at this moment. We finally have som capspace and noone knows what next year cap will be. It is better to play it cold and see what advantages we can take.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Easy no for Lightning.
Yes they need to make salary cap room. It won't be Cirelli.

Tyler Johnson Killorn will be traded not Cirelli.

Johnson has a full NTC, cant see he is willing to move. Killorn has a 16 team ntc who kicks in after this season, and since noone knows how the cap will be becasue the Corona, I cant see teams be ready to trade for him, until they got their things sorted and that can be very well after the NTC kicks in and upcoming expansion draft, meaning teams need to be sure he is a guy they want to protect if they trade for him.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Johnson has a full NTC, cant see he is willing to move. Killorn has a 16 team ntc who kicks in after this season, and since noone knows how the cap will be becasue the Corona, I cant see teams be ready to trade for him, until they got their things sorted and that can be very well after the NTC kicks in and upcoming expansion draft, meaning teams need to be sure he is a guy they want to protect if they trade for him.

Killorn reasonable 4.4m salary, was on pace for 55+points, only 13 points on pp since pp2 only from TB sick roster, and can easily PK2, only 31 year old next year. He is an easy sell. Can a team try to screw over TB and only offer say a 2 and 3? They can try but only takes one team with cap space to offer a 1. In a 7-3 keeper format he will get kept. Maybe if Carolina reigns Hamilton and goes 4x4 then Killorn gets exposed but its very very few teams.

Johnson you are correct and you need his permission to trade. It is also a NTC and not a NMC. Time for Johnson to ask himself would be rather get traded to a team he has personally ok'ed or risk move to Seattle 3000 miles away in ED 1 year from now.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
1) Every year this will be the year of the offer sheet. And it never happens.

You are absolutely right.

Well, except for last year. You know, when we had an offer sheet.

This upcoming summer will be as good a summer as any for teams who have been smart with cap space to take advantage.

Not to say it will happen, but Cirelli is a prime candidate for a real good offer sheet this summer.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
You are absolutely right.

Well, except for last year. You know, when we had an offer sheet.

This upcoming summer will be as good a summer as any for teams who have been smart with cap space to take advantage.

Not to say it will happen, but Cirelli is a prime candidate for a real good offer sheet this summer.

1)We had one offer sheet which was took all of .0000000025 seconds to match. The last offer sheet before that was 2013. So if you think this is the year of the offer sheet um sure.

2)If you going through the offer sheet nonsense and waste your chance at obtaining a star free agent then shoot for the stars and not the 2c's. Barzal has outside shot of getting 10 m offer. Not Cirelli at 6.5m its easy match and waste of time.

Last edited:

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
1) Every year this will be the year of the offer sheet. And it never happens. And choice between Cirelli at 6 or Johnson or Killorn its easily Cirelli. Cirelli team control for 4 years you don't trade. It either bridge at 3.25m or longer term at 5.75m(Konecky deal)

2) Good d 4c at 2.9m. Not Lightning need in a cap world. And the D getting the promotion for TB will be Foote.

Its an easy no.

1) We had an offer sheet last year, regardless of its outcome, we still had one. There were numerous report that both Marner and Point turned down offer sheets as well, so could’ve been 3.

2) I agree with that. Tampa need cap space, not equivalent salary coming back in a trade

3) Doubt they get a first for Johnsson. Maybe Killorn but if* he’s traded I feel Tampa will not get anywhere close to full value for him

Cirelli wouldn’t be s target for me or my team. I’d go after Sergachev. I’d offer the #8 overall in return and if it’s a no from Tampa, I’d go the offer sheet route. Bring the boy back home.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
1) We had an offer sheet last year, regardless of its outcome, we still had one. There were numerous report that both Marner and Point turned down offer sheets as well, so could’ve been 3.

2) I agree with that. Tampa need cap space, not equivalent salary coming back in a trade

3) Doubt they get a first for Johnsson. Maybe Killorn but if* he’s traded I feel Tampa will not get anywhere close to full value for him

Cirelli wouldn’t be s target for me or my team. I’d go after Sergachev. I’d offer the #8 overall in return and if it’s a no from Tampa, I’d go the offer sheet route. Bring the boy back home.

1)WE have had 1 offer sheet in 6 years for perspective. Also have to ask with 31 owners losing a boatload of money from virus will owners be kinder for one year. Point/Aho rumors was via Montreal and Montreal wasn't going to be able to offer 2 offer sheets. Sorry no go there. Once Toronto made it clear they would go 10.5m, offer sheets possibility became nil.

3)Killorn SHOULD get a 1. Johnson could be 2 or 2/3 which is still preferable to losing Cirelli. If there is one free buy out, worst worst worst case scenerio (which I doubt would come to this) is Johnson is bought out to keep Cernak, Sercachev and Cirelli. Trading Gourde for scraps is preferable than losing any of the 3 players.

4) I agree I would target Sergachev over Cirelli but 6m will be easy match as well.

Teams out of division can get very nice players for dirt cheap. If I am Jets for original poster sake I would offer 2 and 3 for Killorn and be very thankful if Lightning say yes. But in division aka Montreal best case is to put screws to Lightning. But Serge to MTL, better look for plan b. Tb players in past have always given team discounts due to taxes and cup chances. I would be surprised if anything changes.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

Its an easy no.
I expect TB will figure out a way to sign both Cirelli and Sergachev but how? They have 9 players on NTC. Why would a Johnson or Killorn or Gourde or Palat accept a trade?

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
One player i think about targeting in trade is McDonagh. Figure Hedman and Sergachev are locks to stay in 2021 ED. That leaves McDonagh, Foote, and Cernak for one or two spots in 4x4 scenerio(I'll guess Foote for the upside and cheap salary). Does Ryan Mc get traded this offseason to not lose his value for free in ED? Yes he has NTC but someone with NTC is going to have to waive for Lightning to fix the issue. Guessing Ryan Mc doesnt want to start over with expansion team at 32. Better to trade Ryan Mc at 6.75 then not keep Sergachev at 6m.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I expect TB will figure out a way to sign both Cirelli and Sergachev but how? They have 9 players on NTC. Why would a Johnson or Killorn or Gourde or Palat accept a trade?
Somebody has to accept a trade all be it determining team they go to and possibly lowering value back.
How does TB offer seven ntc and 2 nmc?

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009
Tampa isn't trading a 22 y.o. center, Winnipeg isn't trading their 1st and an NHL ready d-man. As nice as it would be to get a good young 2C I think the Jets need to focus on upgrading their back end and stop relying on Helly to bail them out.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Jets would pass on this trade too. That’s a lot to give up for Cirelli especially since Winnipeg would be dealing from a position of power.

Also, I highly doubt Tampa gets a first for either Johnson or Killorn.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Jets would pass on this trade too. That’s a lot to give up for Cirelli especially since Winnipeg would be dealing from a position of power.

Also, I highly doubt Tampa gets a first for either Johnson or Killorn.

I wouldn’t be interested in either Johnson or Killorn.....neither help the Jets or more appropriately don’t fill any needs/offer upgrades to the top six.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad