Speculation: Taylor Hall

Where does Hall end up?

• Total voters

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
avalanche

Seems like the Avs have lots of work to do this off season. 15 players with contracts with $21.4M in cap space. Landeskog and Markar to extend the following season. Signing Hall seems like it clutters things IMO. I think the Avs should use cap space on goalie improvements?

How much do these RFA guys get?
- Burakovsky (45 pts and 20 goals in 58 games)
- Graves (26 pts with 9 goals in 69 games and a +40)
- Zadorov (13 pts with 4 goals in 64 games)
- Jost (23 pts with 8 goals in 67 games)
- Nichushkin (27 pts with 13 goals in 65 games)

Letting these UFA guys walk?
- Namestnikov
- Nieto
- Barberio
- Connauton

What guys to the Avs try to unload in a trade?
- Cole?
- Calvert?
- Compher?
- Zadorov?

Ledge And Dairy

$2M cap space but...

- Ryan to LTIR? What's the story on that?
- Only a 20 man roster.
- Hall for $7.75M?
- And don't you think your D is worse than last year?
- Description says Ryan is traded for cap so I put him on LTIR.
- It also breaks down the Hall contract. Like I said earlier Hall cant have Money, Term, and a Competitor in a flat cap, so I gave him 2. He still makes 27M in his first 3 years.
- The 2M cap space can then be used to on < 1M contracts for a 22 man roster.
- Is the defense worse? Valimaki is a huge addition to the blue line, DeMelo can essentially replace Brodie if too expensive, and Kylington has also earned a roster spot. Even if it is a little worse adding Hall more than makes up for it offensively

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
- It also breaks down the Hall contract. Like I said earlier Hall cant have Money, Term, and a Competitor in a flat cap, so I gave him 2. He still makes 27M in his first 3 years.
- Is the defense worse? Valimaki is a huge addition to the blue line, DeMelo can essentially replace Brodie if too expensive, and Kylington has also earned a roster spot. Even if it is a little worse adding Hall more than makes up for it offensively

I would assuming moving the Ryan contract requires futures. He doesn't suck and numbers are decent for a $3.125M cap hit but Flames won't be the only team trying to move a contract like that. Teams with cap space are licking their chops with futures.

I think a team like the Habs can offer Hall money, term, and a team on the rise with the growth of Suzuki and KK. What is Hall after? Who knows. Habs probably go as high as $9M I'm assuming. But does Hall pick the Habs ($9M) over the Flames ($8M)? Probably not

If you can pull off moving Ryan's contract and insert cheaper options on D, it fits. But that D and goal tending would be a weak point. Talbot and big save Dave not good enough to shelter a D like that. Valimaki is will be a solid option for the last pairing on LD. RD is an issue and Giordano is going to be 37 here soon. D won't be horrible but certainly not top 15 where the Flames have been for 3 seasons now.

Don't blame the Flames for wanting to go after Hall but it comes at a cost of the D and goaltending which should not be taken lightly IMO. Might be more frustrated with the results than the past few seasons. Be careful with what you wish for. I'd be focusing on your team D and goaltending. But I get it... Hall is that nice offensive guy and he's from Calgary area

Last edited:

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Seems like the Avs have lots of work to do this off season. 15 players with contracts with $21.4M in cap space. Landeskog and Markar to extend the following season. Signing Hall seems like it clutters things IMO. I think the Avs should use cap space on goalie improvements?

- Namestnikov
- Nieto
- Barberio
- Connauton

- Cole?
- Calvert?
- Compher?
- Zadorov?

It doesn't seem like a lot of work at least compared to 90% + of the league. I don't believe that the Avs will pursue Hall, particularly after viewing him up close in the AZ-CO series. Whoever signs him to a big deal is making a significant mistake.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
This isn't NHL 20, why would a star NHL player willingly go sign in Calgary? You don't think teams like Boston can offer him a better team, environment and city?

Ditto for Oilers fans penciling in Hall. It's rare for star players to reach UFA...and when they do, they typically end up in big-time cities (Hossa to Chicago, Tavares to Toronto, Panarin to NY, Chara to Boston to name a few)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It doesn't seem like a lot of work at least compared to 90% + of the league. I don't believe that the Avs will pursue Hall, particularly after viewing him up close in the AZ-CO series. Whoever signs him to a big deal is making a significant mistake.

It is a lot of work if they want to get all of them on very good team friendly deals, sign Hall, and then try to dump some contracts. And still have flexibility to extend Makar and Landeskog the following season. Sakic needs to be careful with this

I think Sakic has his eyes on goalie improvements to be honest. Grubauer is solid for the regular season but deep playoff run? Might hold them back. Some will be sensitive to this but from the outside looking in... It's a question mark. Not saying Grubaurer sucks either. Plus, if he is the Avs goalie for the future, you will have to pay him along with Markar and Landeskog after next season.

Signing Hall might complicate things if the flat cap continues for another season after next.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This isn't NHL 20, why would a star NHL player willingly go sign in Calgary? You don't think teams like Boston can offer him a better team, environment and city?

Ditto for Oilers fans penciling in Hall. It's rare for star players to reach UFA...and when they do, they typically end up in big-time cities (Hossa to Chicago, Tavares to Toronto, Panarin to NY, Chara to Boston to name a few)

Bruins are only a good fit for about 2 or 3 seasons for Hall. Take a look in the mirror when you point fingers to the Flames and Oilers.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

News flash, living in Boston isn't a quantum leap in quality of life over Edmonton or Calgary. The Bruins, for the moment, are better than the Oilers and the Flames. That is where your argument starts and ends.

A lot of players had their eyes opened when coming to Edmonton for the playoffs. It's a great city to live in. Ditto Calgary which is really close to the Rocky Mountains and an outdoor lifestyle few populations get to enjoy. You're obviously clueless about both cities.

Canada, it can be argued, is a better country in which to live. Hall to Calgary isn't a pipe dream, even if that pains this Oiler fan to write it.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife

- Namestnikov
- Nieto
- Barberio
- Connauton

- Cole?
- Calvert?
- Compher?
- Zadorov?

Move Cole, Zadorov and Jost and sign Namestnikov and the remaining RFAs. I feel like they'll have a comfortable enough amount of space to make him a competitive offer

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Move Cole, Zadorov and Jost and sign Namestnikov and the remaining RFAs. I feel like they'll have a comfortable enough amount of space to make him a competitive offer

Moving contracts is going to be interesting to watch... Those cap floor teams licking their chops with futures I would imagine.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
how in the world are the going to do that

also.... they already lost their pick. So doesn’t that affect a conditional pick they gave up? Or does that just get taken from. NHL and go to jersey?

if Hall re-signs with ARZ, the 2021 3rd round pick that is going to NJ then becomes a 2021 2nd round pick

the Devils already own their 2020 1st round pick

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
News flash, living in Boston isn't a quantum leap in quality of life over Edmonton or Calgary. The Bruins, for the moment, are better than the Oilers and the Flames. That is where your argument starts and ends.

A lot of players had their eyes opened when coming to Edmonton for the playoffs. It's a great city to live in. Ditto Calgary which is really close to the Rocky Mountains and an outdoor lifestyle few populations get to enjoy. You're obviously clueless about both cities.

Canada, it can be argued, is a better country in which to live. Hall to Calgary isn't a pipe dream, even if that pains this Oiler fan to write it.

except...... they were living in Edmonton in August. Kinda changes things.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
how in the world are the going to do that

also.... they already lost their pick. So doesn’t that affect a conditional pick they gave up? Or does that just get taken from. NHL and go to jersey?

Better yet... 17 players under contract with only $1.1M in cap space. If they try to sign Hall for $9M before free agency, that puts them like 300k under the 10% over CBA rule. They better get pre negotiated deals to move contracts out before they do that!

And there is the Hossa on LTIR complication too

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Better yet... 17 players under contract with only $1.1M in cap space. If they try to sign Hall for $9M before free agency, that puts them like 300k under the 10% over CBA rule. They better get pre negotiated deals to move contracts out before they do that!

And there is the Hossa on LTIR complication too

I’m pretty sure you can put someone on LTIR in offseason. Leafs did it

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I’m pretty sure you can put someone on LTIR in offseason. Leafs did it

Need permission from the NHL and they probably get approved. But there is a formula they have to follow and it's complicated. It's not as simple as moving him to LTIR and that's it. Blackhawks did that in the first year when Hossa stop playing and they didn't like it! There is a reason why they moved him the following season

Not impossible. But tricky and they would have to move other contracts after they extend Hall? What futures they going to use to do that? Cause pretending other cap floor teams help you out in a flat cap off season is risky business

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Need permission from the NHL and they probably get approved. But there is a formula they have to follow and it's complicated. It's not as simple as moving him to LTIR and that's it. Blackhawks did that in the first year when Hossa stop playing and they didn't like it! There is a reason why they moved him the following season

Not impossible. But tricky and they would have to move other contracts after they extend Hall? What futures they going to use to do that? Cause pretending other cap floor teams help you out in a flat cap off season is risky business

I agree. I have no idea what they are doing. It’s bizarre all round

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019

Stop the environment and city bull bleep. Number one factor for 80% of the players is money i.e. taxes. Arizona has no state tax and gives them a BIG advantage in keeping Hall (and weather doesn't hurt either).

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Stop the environment and city bull bleep. Number one factor for 80% of the players is money i.e. taxes. Arizona has no state tax and gives them a BIG advantage in keeping Hall (and weather doesn't hurt either).

I don't always agree with you but I think this is bang on. There are a few states with this kind of advantage. Arizona could certainly convince Hall to stay. I don't know his mind so I can't say if he will take a little bit less to play on a contender. Most of the time, though, players follow the money in the UFA market.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

Kind of a funny post and shows you really don't know the player. More NHLers live in Calgary during the offseason than live in Boston. In fact, the two biggest places they live is Kelowna in western Canada and Christopher/Emma Lake in Northern Saskatchewan. Tons of them live in Calgary too. Eberle as an example plays in NY but lives in Calgary. Hall was a hardcore Flames fan growing up and has been rumored to want to go to Calgary as a UFA. Unless you think Friedman just makes crap up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad