Taylor Hall Thread | MOD Warning in OP

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
but we don't know that the GM and coaches didn't try and talk to him. that's my point
Its a weak point because we all know that anyone employed by the Oilers in a coaching or managerial capacity over the years Hall was here had either credibility or competency problems. The ones that had any of the above got fired by Skype or passed over for a sexier hire. Its no surprise that a person who had spent the first twenty years of his life working his ass off to get to the NHL might be reluctant to follow the 'advice' handed out by the kind of dipshits the Oilers employed. And continue to employ.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
We'll have to see if Hall has turned the corner and become a better player, or if this is another Dubnyk type showing and this was Hall's career year.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I guess its easier to push the narrative that the oilers are just stupid and don't do anything but trade players for lesser players. No one knows what happens behind closed doors, and ones that do and reported on it are being doubted or just overlooked.

Hall didn't work out on the oilers. the team moved on. end of story.
It is easy to push the narrative because they do trade players for lesser players. They've missed the playoffs 11 of the last 12 years and have holes all over the lineup.

Are we supposed to believe that they know what they're doing?

Hall, Eberle, a 1st and a 2nd for Larsson, Strome, and absolutely nothing.

Reactions: Supermassive

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
We'll have to see if Hall has turned the corner and become a better player, or if this is another Dubnyk type showing and this was Hall's career year.

So anything less than surpassing this years hart worthy season here on out and he hasn't become a better player?

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Why does no one ever quote the full Hall quote?

“It’s not that I didn’t want dialogue with my coaches in Edmonton, of course, I always wanted to learn,” said Hall. “But as far as day-to-day dialogue, one-on-one, I think that John Hynes and I have developed a pretty good relationship this year, and we’ve been able to talk about more things than just what line you’re playing on or how you’re playing.
“We’ve been able to talk about our team’s schedule, different things on our team. He’s brought me more involved in a leadership role than maybe I was involved with with other coaches in Edmonton.

“It’s not to say I had bad coaches by any means in Edmonton. I learned a lot from my coaches there, I just never maybe connected with them one on one as much as I have with the coach here.”

A lot less controversial and headline worthy then Hall refuses dialogue from coaches

It's been posted in here repeatedly. They just ignore it. I've tried two or three times already and had it completely ignored.

Reactions: harpoon and Satire

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
It's been posted in here repeatedly. They just ignore it. I've tried two or three times already and had it completely ignored.

right. like you ignore all the other posts alluding to what a problem hall was or make excuses for them or bash the source.

like i said, i can do the same. i can say hall was back tracking and trying to make his earlier more controversial but likely more true statement less controversial.

we can go in circles all day. you love hall, fine. go love him. i didn't like oilers hall so i'll say what i'll say. honestly, any good feelings i had about hall doing well this year are somewhat washed away by the whiners and complainers about the trade pining for him back here when it was clear it wasn't going to work for him here. i felt good for schultz winning the cup and i would feel good for ebs doing well too and to a lesser extent for hall as well.... but hall lover extremists make it hard to feel good for the guy because they won't admit any wrong doings by hall.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Hall has been top 10 in league scoring 3 times in his career and has been one of the best 5v5 players in the league since his rookie season.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Hall has been top 10 in league scoring 3 times in his career and has been one of the best 5v5 players in the league since his rookie season.

Another fact! But but but Belanger... waaaaah. Same Belanger that had an issue with his own teammate in Yakupov having an awesome celly after a pretty horrific officiated game by the officials that tried to seal a win for the Kings.

Reactions: Aerrol

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I thought this blurb about Dougie Hamilton would be of interest to those who are still debating the Taylor Hall story.

It certainly sounds familiar. You have a player who is a rare talent but there are supposedly "off ice" issues. However, when you ask for specifics you get something like "didn't go to Vegas with his team mates." Say what? How is that relevant?

When asked about his personality, some say they don't like him and some say he's just different. There seems to be nothing of much substance.

I wonder, when it comes to this stuff, if teams aren't putting too much emphasis on this behavior.

https://www.bardown.com/beat-writer...-hamilton-was-traded-the-first-time-1.1122246

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I know one of final straws w/Bruins was a team trip to Vegas after season ended where every player on team went. Except for Dougie & Reilly Smith and they were both gone that offseason. I wouldn't say he was a bad kid at all. Just a combination of too sensitive & too self-focused
— Joe Haggerty (@HackswithHaggs)https://twitter.com/HackswithHaggs/status/1010901488233844736?ref_src=twsrc^tfw
https://twitter.com/HackswithHaggs/status/1010901488233844736?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Thanks for posting. While I take your point about the stupidity of teams trading top end talent to correct 'team chemistry', I'm not sure that the specifics here support a comparison with Hall. The guys who hate Hall certainly aren't slamming him cause they think he's 'too sensitive'.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

Thanks for posting. While I take your point about the stupidity of teams trading top end talent to correct 'team chemistry', I'm not sure that the specifics here support a comparison with Hall. The guys who hate Hall certainly aren't slamming him cause they think he's 'too sensitive'.

True but I think there is a parallel with supposed "off ice" issues that are never clearly identified. Too sensitive, not sensitive enough, too brash, too withdrawn......I don't know what to make of these stories. Most people I know in life are a mixed bag but unless they are impossible to deal with in the work place (abusive, narcistic) then talent is talent.

Reactions: harpoon and Aerrol

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
True but I think there is a parallel with supposed "off ice" issues that are never clearly identified. Too sensitive, not sensitive enough, too brash, too withdrawn......I don't know what to make of these stories. Most people I know in life are a mixed bag but unless they are impossible to deal with in the work place (abusive, narcistic) then talent is talent.

I agree. You know what's the best way to have a healthy locker room? WINNING.

Reactions: BomaLightDevils

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
If being different were important I can name half a dozen posters here who would be kicked to the curb. Starting with me. :)

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I agree. You know what's the best way to have a healthy locker room? WINNING.

Winning definitely helps. There was a boat load of "off-ice" issues with Oiler players in the dynasty years and those "issues" included some serious and very public stuff but when you win that often then it seems to escape serious scrutiny. Like I say, you just never know how to take these stories especially when its not a legal issue but rather some rumour about character flaws.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad