Taylor Hall Thread | MOD Warning in OP

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
The Oilers 5v5 goal differential with Taylor Hall on the ice (2010/2011-2015/2016): +2
The Oilers 5v5 goal differential with Taylor Hall off the ice (2010/2011-2015/2016): -152

You've still never answered this question. If Hall had some many shortcomings that erased his positive offensive contributions, why was the team so much better with him on the ice than off? You'd think if he was so poor defensively the team would be outscored with him playing no?

This, times 100. I just get sick of people saying he wasn't good here. It is a fact, the guy was very good here. We traded him for a Dman that had proven nothing in the NHL. We trades a superstar for a decent young dman with some upside. All so we could make way for Lucic..... Seriously. Chia should not have a job.

Reactions: Aerrol

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Hall was a driver while he was here. He was a top 3 RW in the league virtually every season by most metrics. He was and still is a great player. He just didn't mesh well with Mcdavid because they don't play the same style of game.

He drove his own line though very well. Him and Drai also gelled together pretty good. Don't know how anyone can say he was a bad player whole he was here. He was the 2nd best player we've had since 2007.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
it affects how the team and the players play with one another and will affect the scoreboard as a result. how do you get to the goals on the scoreboard? it comes in many immeasurable ways. does your better player play the right way and set an proper example? do you have trust a teammate will be in a spot he's supposed to be and not be cheating? does your teammates stand up for one another? team cohesion makes a huge difference in how well the players efficiently move the puck around. proper practicing also is huge in affecting that. hall was not a good or coachable player. he more wanted to try and bust through 3-4 guys with his terribly unskilled toe drags.

Dude, give it up. Your argument makes sense perhaps if Hall put up great numbers on a bad team. However, the reality is the NJ were better than the oilers. Better than the oilers with easily the best player in the game. Trading hall did nothing for intangibles and cohesion. It made NJ a much better team
no it's well known. look at this article from 2014 about hall.... you don't have all these things CONSTANTLY being brought up about hall and there not being ay truth to it. ference, klef kassian etc etc etc

"It’s not one player. It’s the collection of players that make up the sagging work ethic and lack of culture. But if you had to put a face on it, or a name to it, that name would be Taylor Hall."

"Taylor Hall, at least from a culture standpoint, in the room not on the ice, hasn’t been what they hoped he would be. So when [GM Craig] MacTavish looks into his crystal ball and sees what’s coming his way through trades, he’s gotta be looking at the trade deadline and then beyond that looking at the draft floor"

"I think it speaks from a willingness to adapt. I’m choosing my words carefully in saying that. I’m not in the room, so we gather information from the sources that we have, and my sense is that Taylor Hall has a pretty specific vision on how he sees he needs to play and maybe how he thinks the team should play, and he really isn’t open to change, and that’s a problem."

Taylor Hall is un-coachable, will be on trade block: Report

This is pure BS. Look at the number of articles written about the guy. You could find basically anything if you looked hard enough. Every oiler had nothing bad to say about him after the trade. McD himself considers him a good friend. This is just made up BS. he was not a locker room cancer. Even Chia himself said so, he said the trade had nothing to do with that. You should at least take the word of the fool you defend.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Just saw the video of him receiving the award and the clip of Connor watching. I wonder what he was thinking in that moment. He looked a bit pissed to be honest probably thinking of what could've been.

does anyone honestly think McD was thinking, well good for him but we are better of with Larsson. There is no way in hell he was thinking that. He was depressed thinking I shouldn't have signed with this team with an idiot for a GM.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Hall was a driver while he was here. He was a top 3 RW in the league virtually every season by most metrics. He was and still is a great player. He just didn't mesh well with Mcdavid because they don't play the same style of game.

He drove his own line though very well. Him and Drai also gelled together pretty good. Don't know how anyone can say he was a bad player whole he was here. He was the 2nd best player we've had since 2007.
RW?

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
does anyone honestly think McD was thinking, well good for him but we are better of with Larsson. There is no way in hell he was thinking that. He was depressed thinking I shouldn't have signed with this team with an idiot for a GM.

I think we need to take a step back from the Hall trade and look at the Hamilton trade . If we gave Boston Nurse I don't think we made the trade at all . Nurse is a nice piece and all but I wish we gave him up for Hamilton .

Nuge McDavid
Hall Draisaitl

Klefbom Hamilton
Sekera

D would be weaker but Hall was good with Draisaitl . Plus Draisaitl likely doesn't have a 77 point season so we probably would of saved a couple million on his salary/cap . The cap savings Draisaitl pays Hamilton extra cap over Larsson . All in all we probably have the same cap problems just with a PPQB + 2 good lines .

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
are people serious? Hall doesn't win the HART if he's still an Oiler.

Hall needed the kick in the junk of being traded to build character and come together as a player.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Funny when you think that Hall, Eberle, and 1st and a 2nd got you Larsson, Reinhart, and Strome.

Think how good a defenseman you could have got if the Oilers packaged Hall, Eberle and those picks for ONE player. You could have gotten Hedman.

You guys overrate the value of these guys at the time of trade so much that it's laughable. You're not getting Victor freaking Hedman for the 65 point player Hall was at the time, $6M worth of Eberle and a mid 1st rounder.

I'm not here to defend the trades although I think the Hall fans really underrate Larsson because of their love of Hall, and the Reinhart deal was one of the worst all time trades, but lets put in perspective what Hall and Eberle were at the time of trade and ask yourself if any GM is giving up a high end Dman for either of those guys.

I'll just state again, the Eberle and Reinhart deals in particular sucked balls and Hall is obviously a better player than Larsson even though I still think that trade will pay off long term.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
All HK does is recycle his garbage about Hall on a regular basis. You would think his obsession at this point is flat out unhealthy.
We know its unhealthy for the board, yet somehow he is still allowed to post the same tired, worn out, broke ass bullshit over and over and over again. It really does beggar belief.

Reactions: McAsuno and Aerrol

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Hall needed the kick in the junk of being traded to build character and come together as a player.

Well that's a given since, you know, McDavid is alive. The only way he'd ever win it is McDavid being out for stretches like Crosby/Malkin. Even Oilers now said as much yesterday

Doesn't mean having Hall would've hurt the team. Chia just HAD to have his boy Lucic at any cost. No attempt at even 'fixing' Hall.

The amusing thing is Chia saying JP+Lucic will offset the loss of Hall yet a) JP hasn't shown squat to be adequate enough to replace Hall and b) his precious Lucic is already asking out because he's a loser.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
no it's well known. look at this article from 2014 about hall.... you don't have all these things CONSTANTLY being brought up about hall and there not being ay truth to it. ference, klef kassian etc etc etc

"It’s not one player. It’s the collection of players that make up the sagging work ethic and lack of culture. But if you had to put a face on it, or a name to it, that name would be Taylor Hall."

"Taylor Hall, at least from a culture standpoint, in the room not on the ice, hasn’t been what they hoped he would be. So when [GM Craig] MacTavish looks into his crystal ball and sees what’s coming his way through trades, he’s gotta be looking at the trade deadline and then beyond that looking at the draft floor"

"I think it speaks from a willingness to adapt. I’m choosing my words carefully in saying that. I’m not in the room, so we gather information from the sources that we have, and my sense is that Taylor Hall has a pretty specific vision on how he sees he needs to play and maybe how he thinks the team should play, and he really isn’t open to change, and that’s a problem."

Taylor Hall is un-coachable, will be on trade block: Report

LMAO you literally responded 'BUT HE WAS A LOCKER ROOM CANCER THO'.

The lack of self awareness is amazing.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park

Start with the proven toxic nature of the Oilers organization over the last 15 or so years, and not with the perceived flaws of the player who was traded away, and you’ll see the pattern.

You’ll see enough good players who were worn down by years of playing alongside AHL-caliber players on a non-competitive team. You’ll see them get frustrated and stop listening to the newest coach on the carousel. You’ll see them want out of here. You’ll see them traded. And you’ll see them tell their brethren to stay away from here.

Taylor Hall didn’t want to leave this shithole. That fascinates me. He was so driven to carry this sad sack franchise to respectability.

And the loudest boors of the Oiler fanbase boo and hiss, taking any shot they can at the departed, buying the org’s narrative hook, line and sinker. Not realizing that without being gifted high draft picks as a reward for failure, this org would be doomed to last place permanently.

If people want to trot out a self-absorbed coattail-rider like Ference in their argument against Hall, I’d like to use pretty much every player that has played out of their depth, beat to snot by bigger opponents, blamed for the org’s failure, traded or waived away, and then scapegoated by the “loyal” fans.

I can name dozens.

Last edited:

BudBundy

May 16, 2005

I can use conjecture too. I say If Hall had stayed here, he wouldve continued to mature and would now be even better than he is in NJ. See how easy that is? Hall is a stellar player and, though I like Larsson, we got our chicken plucked hard in this trade no matter what contorted arguments you twist yourself into.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Start with the proven toxic nature of the Oilers organization over the last 15 or so years, and not with the perceived flaws of the player who was traded away, and you’ll see the pattern.

You’ll see enough good players who were worn down by years of playing alongside AHL-caliber players on a non-competitive team. You’ll see them get frustrated and stop listening to the newest coach on the carousel. You’ll see them want out of here. You’ll see them traded. And you’ll see them tell their brethren to stay away from here.

Taylor Hall didn’t want to leave this ****hole. That fascinates me. He was so driven to carry this sad sack franchise to respectability.

And the loudest boors of the Oiler fanbase boo and hiss, taking any shot they can at the departed, buying the org’s narrative hook, line and sinker. Not realizing that without being gifted high draft picks as a reward for failure, this org would be doomed to last place permanently.

If people want to trot out a self-absorbed coattail-rider like Ference in their argument against Hall, I’d like to use pretty much every player that has played out of their depth, beat to snot by bigger opponents, blamed for the org’s failure, traded or waived away, and then scapegoated by the “loyal” fans.

I can name dozens.
sure, but that still doesn't mean Hall would have won a hart on the oilers. which was my point. you bring up reasons that not only serve to bash the oilers for no reason, but support my thesis. I am not being argumentative when I say Hall doesn't win a hart with the Oilers, I am stating a fact. If they trade never happened, Hall is still under the shadow of McDavid who has had better seasons than Hall since entering the league. Saying this does not bash Hall, does not take away from his achievements, and most certainly does not bash Devils fan, like you bash Oiler fans by calling them boors.

again, saying Hall doesn't win the Hart on the Oilers doesnt disrespect Hall in any way. I still do this trade today though, Defense is and was a need and that needed to be addressed. Hall was expendable with Chiarelli knowing Lucic was going to be signing and last year excluded it worked for the Oilers. Going forward who knows. I respect the risk taken. Hall is certainly a better player for being traded. it provided him with a wake up call and a needed change of scenery. Im okay with Hall being traded and Im happy he's doing well, but he wasn't leading the Oilers anywhere. I digress though, just wanted to provide my background thoughts on the issue because I am by no means a Chiarelli apologist but I do respect the risk he took. I am also not a Hall hater either. You can exist on both planes and be happy while stating his career is different for the trade and probably better for him not to be on the oilers and the Oilers are better off without Hall as well.

Reactions: HK97

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I can use conjecture too. I say If Hall had stayed here, he wouldve continued to mature and would now be even better than he is in NJ. See how easy that is? Hall is a stellar player and, though I like Larsson, we got our chicken plucked hard in this trade no matter what contorted arguments you twist yourself into.
Halls stays in Edmonton he lurks in Mcdavid's shadow. McDavid has outperformed Hall every year since entering the league. So I doubt he wins any MVP over McDaivd while on the same team.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Halls stays in Edmonton he lurks in Mcdavid's shadow. McDavid has outperformed Hall every year since entering the league. So I doubt he wins any MVP over McDaivd while on the same team.

He doesn't NEED to win the MVP award dude. We struggled massively with offense and him and his 90+ points would have been welcome.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
He doesn't NEED to win the MVP award dude. We struggled massively with offense and him and his 90+ points would have been welcome.
yes, but what im saying is he doesn't get 90 points on the Oilers.

The trade matured him to reach his potential and Edmonton didn't have the coaching staff to get the most out of him and he straight up said he didn't listen to the coaches in Edmonton. He was not the same player he is today in Edmonton. that is my point.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
yes, but what im saying is he doesn't get 90 points on the Oilers.

The trade matured him to reach his potential and Edmonton didn't have the coaching staff to get the most out of him and he straight up said he didn't listen to the coaches in Edmonton. He was not the same player he is today in Edmonton. that is my point.
Why not? We have some good centers.

The Oilers straight up gave up on this player and sold him off at his lowest value.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Reactions: McAsuno

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Because not only did the Oilers hire the dregs of the league, they consistently changed coaches, making it difficult to establish a relationship of trust.

It's pretty funny that all it took for the Devils to get a franchise winger was a simple conversation with his GM. Gee, why didn't ours think of that?
hey man, you have your opinion I have mine. mine is based in evidence and a trail of documented facts and quotes from the player himself. mine is also not drenched in sarcasm and put downs.

Taylor took his lumps and turned it around, great for him.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

I can name dozens.
hmmmmm...

Reactions: Declassified

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad