Taylor Hall Thread | MOD Warning in OP

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Because not only did the Oilers hire the dregs of the league, they consistently changed coaches, making it difficult to establish a relationship of trust.

It's pretty funny that all it took for the Devils to get a franchise winger was a simple conversation with his GM. Gee, why didn't ours think of that?
Shero needed to have a conversation with him because he was hurt and jaded with the trade and it affected his play last year

why did our GM need a conversation with him? he loved playing here and he led the team in scoring...what's Chia gonna say? "mature dammit!"

I know you refuse to acknowledge it but getting traded is a shot to the ego and it forces player to realize they may need to change things

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
hey man, you have your opinion I have mine. mine is based in evidence and a trail of documented facts and quotes from the player himself. mine is also not drenched in sarcasm and put downs.

Taylor took his lumps and turned it around, great for him.
Yes, it is great for him.

You notice that seems to happen a lot around these parts? Eberle, Schultz, Hall, just to name a few...

My evidence is based on the years and years of ineptitude and improper coaching and use of players. The absolute inability to draft and develop properly, and the alarming lack of communication that seems to happen within the organization.

I have no doubt that Taylor Hall was an immature teenager but I didn't see the Oilers trying to rectify that in the slightest.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Shero needed to have a conversation with him because he was hurt and jaded with the trade and it affected his play last year

You are correct about this. Hall is far from the only one though whose play has suffered as a result of the Oilers.

why did our GM need a conversation with him? he loved playing here and he led the team in scoring...what's Chia gonna say? "mature dammit!"

Our GM should do everything in his power to improve his team. You don't need to just sign and trade players to improve a team. You can sit players down and have a heart to heart with them about their thoughts and feelings. Coaching CAN happen off the ice, something that it was increasingly clear that Hall needed.

I know you refuse to acknowledge it but getting traded is a shot to the ego and it forces player to realize they may need to change things

I understand that Hall's ego hurt and I also understand that he might've needed an attitude adjustment. Why couldn't that happen here?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Our GM should do everything in his power to improve his team. You don't need to just sign and trade players to improve a team. You can sit players down and have a heart to heart with them about their thoughts and feelings. Coaching CAN happen off the ice, something that it was increasingly clear that Hall needed.
Who's saying he doesn't?
again, the main reason the Shero's "heart to heart" is because he was still hurting from the trade...

I understand that Hall's ego hurt and I also understand that he might've needed an attitude adjustment. Why couldn't that happen here?
because Hall didn't want dialog with our coaches

Reactions: Declassified

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Who's saying he doesn't?
again, the main reason the Shero's "heart to heart" is because he was still hurting from the trade...

Given that he keeps selling off players at their lowest value (And it seems to be happening again), I'm gonna go ahead and guess that it doesn't happen.

because Hall didn't want dialog with our coaches
So that's the end of it then? Just give up? Is winning less important than being right?

People can and will change. But apparently that only happens after they leave the Oilers for some strange reason.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Well I guess we should just trade everyone that's suspected to be a 'cancer' without any dialogue with said 'cancer'

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Given that he keeps selling off players at their lowest value (And it seems to be happening again), I'm gonna go ahead and guess that it doesn't happen.

So that's the end of it then? Just give up? Is winning less important than being right?

People can and will change. But apparently that only happens after they leave the Oilers for some strange reason.
no one knows...this all speculation at this point

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
It was nice of the league to have a sort of "Participation Ribbon" Hart race this year. Too easy to give it to the guy who SHOULD have won it (McDavid).

Good for Hallsy for winning it I guess.

Reactions: HK97 and nabob

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Hall is certainly a better player for being traded. it provided him with a wake up call and a needed change of scenery. You can exist on both planes and be happy while stating his career is different for the trade and probably better for him not to be on the oilers and the Oilers are better off without Hall as well.

Bang. On.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Dude, give it up. Your argument makes sense perhaps if Hall put up great numbers on a bad team. However, the reality is the NJ were better than the oilers. Better than the oilers with easily the best player in the game. Trading hall did nothing for intangibles and cohesion. It made NJ a much better team

This is pure BS. Look at the number of articles written about the guy. You could find basically anything if you looked hard enough. Every oiler had nothing bad to say about him after the trade. McD himself considers him a good friend. This is just made up BS. he was not a locker room cancer. Even Chia himself said so, he said the trade had nothing to do with that. You should at least take the word of the fool you defend.

No. you're reaching. If you can't see that a lot of the oilers players were happy with hall leaving that's willfull ignorance. and somehow you seem so sure with NO evidence that connor and hall are still friends. saying one good thing about hall after the trade (because that's what classy captains like connor does) doesn't necessarily tell you what he really thinks.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
LMAO you literally responded 'BUT HE WAS A LOCKER ROOM CANCER THO'.

The lack of self awareness is amazing.

what's your point. Dreger and many others said the things they said about hall in the media etc for a reason. it's not anything i've brought up from sources i cannot reveal.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
but we don't know that the GM and coaches didn't try and talk to him
that's my point
I guess its easier to push the narrative that the oilers are just stupid and don't do anything but trade players for lesser players. No one knows what happens behind closed doors, and ones that do and reported on it are being doubted or just overlooked.

Hall didn't work out on the oilers. the team moved on. end of story.

Reactions: HK97

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Start with the proven toxic nature of the Oilers organization over the last 15 or so years, and not with the perceived flaws of the player who was traded away, and you’ll see the pattern.

You’ll see enough good players who were worn down by years of playing alongside AHL-caliber players on a non-competitive team. You’ll see them get frustrated and stop listening to the newest coach on the carousel. You’ll see them want out of here. You’ll see them traded. And you’ll see them tell their brethren to stay away from here.

Taylor Hall didn’t want to leave this ****hole. That fascinates me. He was so driven to carry this sad sack franchise to respectability.

And the loudest boors of the Oiler fanbase boo and hiss, taking any shot they can at the departed, buying the org’s narrative hook, line and sinker. Not realizing that without being gifted high draft picks as a reward for failure, this org would be doomed to last place permanently.

If people want to trot out a self-absorbed coattail-rider like Ference in their argument against Hall, I’d like to use pretty much every player that has played out of their depth, beat to snot by bigger opponents, blamed for the org’s failure, traded or waived away, and then scapegoated by the “loyal” fans.

I can name dozens.

has nothing to do with chastizing the departed. those of us who did not appreciate hall took shots at him while he was here for many years.

not sure why it's so blasphemous to not like a player. you go ahead and not like chia. i'll go ahead and not like "oilers hall". not only do i have sources that i have heard things from about hall, there is a litany of things written about and said about hall that justifies our stances.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Fine. Players with 'maturity issues'. No need to talk to them. Just ship them off , pennies on the dollar because that's the best way to manage assets.

that's how it goes sometimes. he likely wasn't going to turn it around here. why continue to hurt and spite your own team and keep a player with potential but lack of much actual substance in terms of helping your team win. You cut your loses and try to obtain the best piece you can in a trade. chia had to do it. NOT a bad move.

Reactions: Declassified

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Well given that Schultz, Hall, and Eberle have gone on to have better years than they did here, I'd start to think that something's going on behind the scenes. Or rather isn't going on.

please, schultz is playing on a stanley cup winning franchise with great depth and two of the best players in the nhl. and ebs had a marginally better year and still likely no better than other years he had in edmonton in the past. but sure skew reality to suit your hall is awesome narrative.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Why does no one ever quote the full Hall quote?

“It’s not that I didn’t want dialogue with my coaches in Edmonton, of course, I always wanted to learn,” said Hall. “But as far as day-to-day dialogue, one-on-one, I think that John Hynes and I have developed a pretty good relationship this year, and we’ve been able to talk about more things than just what line you’re playing on or how you’re playing.
“We’ve been able to talk about our team’s schedule, different things on our team. He’s brought me more involved in a leadership role than maybe I was involved with with other coaches in Edmonton.

“It’s not to say I had bad coaches by any means in Edmonton. I learned a lot from my coaches there, I just never maybe connected with them one on one as much as I have with the coach here.”

A lot less controversial and headline worthy then Hall refuses dialogue from coaches

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

“It’s not that I didn’t want dialogue with my coaches in Edmonton, of course, I always wanted to learn,” said Hall. “But as far as day-to-day dialogue, one-on-one, I think that John Hynes and I have developed a pretty good relationship this year, and we’ve been able to talk about more things than just what line you’re playing on or how you’re playing.
“We’ve been able to talk about our team’s schedule, different things on our team. He’s brought me more involved in a leadership role than maybe I was involved with with other coaches in Edmonton.

“It’s not to say I had bad coaches by any means in Edmonton. I learned a lot from my coaches there, I just never maybe connected with them one on one as much as I have with the coach here.”

A lot less controversial and headline worthy then Hall refuses dialogue from coaches

Because it wouldn't fit HK97's lame obsessive narrative that Hall has problems.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017

and do you want me to requote things dreger/eakins said? things ference said, klefbom etc ... just so you can choose to ignore them because they're all "garbage"?

i can do the same thing here by saying hall might have been backtracking and trying not to make his original quote and what actually happened seem less controversial. players, coaches etc do that all the time. it was CLEARLY not a good situation here with hall and the oilers and only a few of you choose to be blind to it or don't put any of the blame on hall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad