Taylor Hall Thread | MOD Warning in OP

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The key word is resentment. That shouldn't have come out of his mouth in the first place.

There's always going to be some resentment when you're traded and you don't want to be.

If anything it's actually a radical change for the Oilers from the days of guys wanting to throw a party and specifically wanting to be traded TO the New York area, lol.

I kind of take it as a compliment that Hall feels upset about it, it's a pretty big change from the likes of Messier, Weight, Pronger, etc. tap dancing their way outta here.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Dudes just being honest. He doesn't play for this team anymore. He can say what he wants about this sad sack organization that wasted the first 1/2 dozen years of his career.

It's a double-standard because it's a player we like.

Easily in other situations you would hear "keep it in the room, blah blah blah."

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
likely the exit interviews and what not than go and trade him for a third pairing defender.

classic chiarelli

Your team must have a boss defense. :laugh:

Third pairing...my god.

Psst.......Taylor. Being resentful = being bitter.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Dudes just being honest. He doesn't play for this team anymore. He can say what he wants about this sad sack organization that wasted the first 1/2 dozen years of his career.

Nobody else complains like this. Where was his resentment when other players were shipped out?

He's really sounding immature and self centered, and to me he is showing that there really may have been a culture problem surrounding him. (One that could partially be blamed on MacLowbellini)

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Of course it could be worse. He could not be a millionaire playing hockey for a living. But the dude is clearly a passionate guy and was 100% invested in this team and city. Hall wore his heart on his sleeve the entire time he was here. I'm not sure why anyone would expect anything different now that he's gone.

Initially I was disappointed that he was traded. He did invest a lot in the city and the team. But with that kind of attitude, it just validated the reason why he was traded.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
They've paid his salary. You are always entitled to complain but I am not sure his reasons are really valid (imo).

And they don't pay his salary anymore. Hence him being allowed to say what he wants.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Nobody else complains like this. Where was his resentment when other players were shipped out?

He's really sounding immature and self centered, and to me he is showing that there really may have been a culture problem surrounding him. (One that could partially be blamed on MacLowbellini)

Actually he clarified the remark.

Which shows he cares.

Why does this bother you? It's actually in a way complimentary. You rather have the days of Messier/Weight/Pronger leaving with giant grins on their faces?

I'm glad he feels hurt about leaving because that shows he cared and didn't want to go. You can tell who really wanted to stay here (Gretzky, Smyth, Hall).

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Actually he clarified the remark.

Which shows he cares.

Why does this bother you? It's actually in a way complimentary. You rather have the days of Messier/Weight/Pronger leaving with giant grins on their faces?

I'm glad he feels hurt about leaving because that shows he cared and didn't want to go. You can tell who really wanted to stay here (Gretzky, Smyth, Hall).

I appreciate the compliment, and it isn't agitating me. It's proving to me more that it was a trade that needed to happen

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I appreciate the compliment, and it isn't agitating me. It's proving to me more that it was a trade that needed to happen

The trade had to happen because New Jersey wasn't going to take Eberle or Nugent Hopkins for Larsson. That's pretty much all there is to it.

Hall was the only one of the three that had the value to bring back a young RHD that would postively impact the wins/losses of the team.

And when Chiarelli basically made his wink, wink, agreement with Lucic (a LW) prior to July 1, everything lined up with Hall being the one out.

I really think that's basically all it boils down to.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The trade had to happen because New Jersey wasn't going to take Eberle or Nugent Hopkins for Larsson. That's pretty much all there is to it.

Hall was the only one of the three that had the value to bring back a young RHD that would postively impact the wins/losses of the team.

And when Chiarelli basically made his wink, wink, agreement with Lucic (a LW) prior to July 1, everything lined up with Hall being the one out.

I really think that's basically all it boils down to.

Hall had to go because Chia wanted him gone. Chia could have kept Hall and still sign Lucic along with other UFA D's but instead he chose this route. I think it's becoming clearer that Chia knew more than we did what was going on in the locker room.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
RE: Taylor Hall. Who cares?

Why not just have a thread where all the usual suspects can talk about a guy who is no longer on the Oilers? It has nothing to do with rumors or speculation.

The trade is done. We got a top pairing defenceman and Taylor Hall is a New Jersey Devil. I like Taylor Hall and wish him the best, but this isn't news to me.

fancy dan

too many losing
Jun 21, 2011
Of course it could be worse. He could not be a millionaire playing hockey for a living. But the dude is clearly a passionate guy and was 100% invested in this team and city. Hall wore his heart on his sleeve the entire time he was here. I'm not sure why anyone would expect anything different now that he's gone.

to me this is a misnomer. hall was not 100% committed to the team and this was ultimately the reason he was moved out.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Just like what happened to Yakupov? :sarcasm:

Yakupov, and I hate to say this, just doesn't have the hockey intelligence to play at the NHL level the way he wants to.

Larsson does.

That's a big difference. Maybe a lightbulb goes off in Yak's head at some point, but I doubt it.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Hall had to go because Chia wanted him gone. Chia could have kept Hall and still sign Lucic along with other UFA D's but instead he chose this route. I think it's becoming clearer that Chia knew more than we did what was going on in the locker room.

No couldn't have. It doesn't work cap wise long term, you have Hall and Lucic at $12 mill, then you have McDavid wanting $9 mill soon and you have Draisaitl and Puljujarvi to sign also in time.

Where exactly are you going to have money to sign any D? You sign Demers and you're basically stuck with this D-corps for the next 5-6 years.

It was a perfect storm of factors that led to the Hall trade too IMO ... Lucic being a UFA that Chiarelli was familiar with playing the exact position Hall does, fluking out into Puljujarvi in the draft (yet another winger), basically sealed Hall's fate here.

Teams weren't going to give much for Eberle and RNH tanked his trade value with a craptastic season.

Hall was the only card Chiarelli really had to play. If Hall wanted to stay he should've had himself a terrible season, lol. That would've handcuffed Chiarelli entirely.

If Taylor Hall is such a locker room poison, why didn't the team play any better during some of his lengthy injury stretches? I mean he's been injured and out of the room many times before, the team still lost as many games without him. Here's the solution to your mystery -- your defence sucks and your remaining forwards are softer than 2-ply toilet paper.

That was the "mystery" of the Oilers locker room problems.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
likely the exit interviews and what not than go and trade him for a third pairing defender.

classic chiarelli

:biglaugh:

RE: Taylor Hall. Who cares?

Why not just have a thread where all the usual suspects can talk about a guy who is no longer on the Oilers? It has nothing to do with rumors or speculation.

The trade is done. We got a top pairing defenceman and Taylor Hall is a New Jersey Devil. I like Taylor Hall and wish him the best, but this isn't news to me.

Just when you think you've gotten away from the deluge of Hall/Larsson-Trade/Poorelli talk, it comes back like the crabs.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
to me this is a misnomer. hall was not 100% committed to the team and this was ultimately the reason he was moved out.

You're right. He wasn't a 100% committed. He was a 150% committed. His problem came with how he expressed himself and how he handled himself on and off the ice.

as for his commitment, it's not even a question. Guy bled the Orange and Blue

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Three way deal:

To Anaheim: Yakupov (50% retained 1.25 mil cap hit), Oilers 2016 1st (top 3 protected), cheap depth forward from STL (one of Pajaarvi, Jaskin, Upshalll, or Reaves)

To St. Louis: Fowler, Pouliot, Lander, Anaheim 2018 3rd, Oilers 2017 4th

To EDM: Shattenkirk and Lehtera

Oilers give 2017 1st, Yak at 50%, Lander, 4th 2017, and Pouliot for Shattenkirk and Lehtera

Anaheim gives Fowler for Oilers 1st, Yak, and one of Pajaarvi/Jaskin/Reaves/Upshall

STL gives up Shattenkirk and Lehtera for Fowler, Pouliot, 2018 3rd, 2017 4th

To much for a rental in Shattenkirk? Maybe he could be convinced to sign if he's here for the whole year?

Lucic McDavid Eberle
Draisaitl RNH Versteeg
Maroon Lehtera Puljujarvi
Hendricks Letestu Kassian

Klefbom Larsson
Davidson Shattenkirk
Sekera Fayne

I'd do it as I think this makes us a playoff team. I'd pay that price to watch us in the playoffs alone. Lethera is an ideal #3C and Shatty situation could work out. Who knows.

Speed220DChalavan

Mar 29, 2014
Soundwave has nailing all the points home.

The narrative from Friedman's article is that Hall was a dominant personality and the Oilers wanted it to be McDavid's team. Hockey executives, man.

Hypocritically though, that's exactly what Lucic is:

Jason Gregor Verified account
‏@JasonGregor

"I think it is healthy to challenge each other. You do it in practice and it becomes second nature in games." Lucic. #Oilers

As for Hall, he has always been honest, wore his heart on his sleeve. Just 1 calandar year ago, he was on Gregor's show and declared he would never request a trade from Edmonton. He was fully invested in both the city and the organization. He carried himself well for 6 years, and then punted when times are about to get exponentially good. Anyone in his same shoes would be bitter - most of them would not have the courage to admit it in public.

Two powerful articles I circle back to surrounding the trade:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/a...ing-not-the-right-thing-about-trade-to-devils

"Yeah, in the sense that, in a breakup, you just try to forget about it as quick as you can, right?" Hall said. "And that's what I'm trying to do. It's not easy."

Hall drew a laugh from the crowd at BioSteel when he admitted the trade torpedoed all his summer plans. He had to scramble to sell his house in Edmonton. He didn't want to face his family and friends for the first week or 10 days, he said, but he eventually adjusted and talked about the trade with them.

and

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oilers/connor-mcdavid-upset-to-see-hall-leave

He was hoping he and Hall would be Oilers together for a long time, but Wednesday’s news put a sudden stop to those dreams.

“I want to express thanks for all that he’s done for me because he’s done so much. I’ll never really know how I can repay him, or if I’ll ever be able to, for what he’s done for me this year.

“He’s a guy who took me under his wing right away. It’s hard to explain how much that means to me.”

And this article - raw emotion when initially traded

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2016/06/...onton-oilers-trading-him-to-new-jersey-devils

- “It’s disappointing. I was there for six seasons, you develop a relationship with the team and the city and the fans. I’m disappointed that I’m not going to be able to see that through.

“I certainly do feel a bit slighted by the whole thing.”

Hall had a conversation with Chiarelli before the trade became public and while he didn’t want to go into much detail, it sounds like it was a little on the icy side.

“I think I just voiced my disappointment in what had happened,” said Hall. “I’m a proud person and I do take this as an indictment on me as a hockey player — I don’t think there’s any other way to treat it.

“I have a pretty deep connection to the city of Edmonton and I felt like I did everything I could there. It’s pretty hard not to feel slighted, it’s pretty hard not to feel a little bit disappointed with how everything shook out.

So disappointing Oiler fans are not showing loyalty to a player who showed more than any other.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Taylor Hall carried himself well, was a loyal soldier for 6 years. He earned that loyalty, despite the peons in the 780 who now engage in TMZ style exaggerated rumours, gossiping, and outright character assassinations.

Hall isn't the first, nor will he be the last player to bleed blue and orange and get traded. It's a business first and always will be. Time for people to either move on or start cheering for the Devils.

....and now I'm helping derail the thread....:laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad