Letang
Subban
Burns
Ristolainen
Brodie
Keith
Byfuglien

These guys aren't getting traded.
The plan is to try and get a #1D man no? Did that change? We're going to make a big play for somebody and if the ask is Hall or Hall + you do it.

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Lol nowhere did I say give Hall away.

1) trade Hall
2) solve a gaping hole on defence
3) win games
4) winning culture is created
5) let mcdavid take reigns of the team

I don't think Hall and McDavid can exist on one team.

McDavid is taking Captaincy as he has been a complete proffessional through and through.

Hall will probably be a little sour and I can totally see why, he's never been a Captain on any team in his pro carreer.

1) trade Hall
2) Plug hole in floor by creating hole in roof
3) Desperately cast about for new Taylor Hall
4) Whine about management not finding new Taylor Hall under some rock in Ontario

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
The plan is to try and get a #1D man no? Did that change?

No. Getting a #1D is a pipe dream.

We're going to make a big play for somebody and of the ask is Hall or Hall + you do it.

So if the ask is Hall+Drai+Klef+1st, do you still do it?

The reason D like that never get traded is because the cost it takes to get them are prohibitive which ultimately defeats the purpose.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

The reason D like that never get traded is because the cost it takes to get them are prohibitive which ultimately defeats the purpose.
No in that case I don't do it. But if the blues go bust round 1 and decide they need to add more scoring they come phoning offering Petriangelo and want Hall + I do it every time as long as the + isn't one of 2016 1st round pick, Draisaitl, Mcdavid, Klefbom, Nurse. There's always multiple moving parts from both sides. If the ask is Hall or something around Hall I do it 10 times out of 10. I've never argued he needs to go I've never argued we should give him away. I have argued that he's had back to back disappointing seasons and he should be made available to if it means getting the player we need.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
1) trade Hall
4) Whine about management not finding new Taylor Hall under some rock in Ontario

1) Trade Hall
2) Find a replacement with better hockey IQ (roughly 2/3 of the LW's in the league)
3) Appreciate watching "the simple play" rather than a failed attempt to thread the needle through 3 defenders.
4) Increase Cam Talbot's life span when the number of odd man rushes against is reduced dramatically.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
No in that case I don't do it. But if the blues go bust round 1 and decide they need to add more scoring they come phoning offering Petriangelo and want Hall + I do it every time as long as the + isn't one of 2016 1st round pick, Draisaitl, Mcdavid, Klefbom, Nurse.

"We have to get a #1D regardless of the cost, as long as it doesn't mean parting with any assets another team would actually want.":laugh:

There's always multiple moving parts from both sides. If the ask is Hall or something around Hall I do it 10 times out of 10. I've never argued he needs to go I've never argued we should give him away. I have argued that he's had back to back disappointing seasons and he should be made available to if it means getting the player we need.

This is really just fantasy talk.#1D never get traded. Star for star trades basically never happen (have we had one since Heatley for Hossa?). That's because NHL GMs who have skin in the game are always far more risk-averse than fans. That's not going to change. The sooner people understand that and accept the reality, the better off they'll be.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Lol nowhere did I say give Hall away.

1) trade Hall
2) solve a gaping hole on defence
3) win games
4) winning culture is created
5) let mcdavid take reigns of the team

I don't think Hall and McDavid can exist on one team.

McDavid is taking Captaincy as he has been a complete proffessional through and through.

Hall will probably be a little sour and I can totally see why, he's never been a Captain on any team in his pro carreer.

Hockey teams have 4 lines. Cup contending hockey teams have good players on multiple lines.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
"We have to get a #1D regardless of the cost, as long as it doesn't mean parting with any assets another team would actually want.":laugh:
IMO a combination of Hall, Nuge Eberle, Yak + anything else besides our first this year, Drai, Mcdavid, Nurse and Klefbom should be able to get what we need. Maybe you disagree. Regardless defending Halls play this year is laughable. He hasn't had a good year in since 2 seasons ago and there's a reason he never made best on best team canada even when he was playing well.

Right now I don't even consider him a top 3 player from his draft year. Apparently that's acceptable to some of you. To me it's extremely disappointing.

Originally Posted By*

Lmao that is laughable, to prove a point you hyperbolize every trade scenario.

Who the **** said we have to acquire drew doughty to improve this club?

And please, show me a defenceman in the NHL that garners Hall, Draisatl, Klefbom, AND our top 3 pick (very possible 1st overall).

Your value on trade proposals is way off lol.

The Perfect Human*

Cam Ward played out of his mind and the Oilers lost their #1 goalie. That's it.

Really, the fact you have to back 10 years to find a team that did anything with a mediocre D group should tell you something. Not to mention the fact that group is still miles better than anything the Oilers have iced in the last 6 years.

Yes, because they keep bringing guys in and playing them above their level of ability.

Yeah because he's playing with a real amazing group in Ottawa. :sarcasm:

And the reverse is doubly so.

I attribute it to the D not being very good in the first place.

Well we can't know for sure until we actually get some decent d-men and not rely on cast-offs and call-ups.

they won a freakin CUP! and was one of the highest scoring teams!!

that's false. definitely nowhere near miles better. I'm telling you, our fwds are making our d in the past several years look way worse than they actually are. They can gain no traction because the fwds are so inexperienced and stupid. it's unfair to judge absolutely the quality of the d that have come through here based on the fact they had to play with this group of fwds. Put a good d-core here and they will still struggle to a degree with these fwds

The Perfect Human*

1) trade Hall

that's the flaw in the thinking of people who back Hall. We DO NOT want another Hall type player to replace Hall! We need someone with more experience, smarter, can impart wisdom, add chemistry. And he doesn't need to be as "talented" an offensive player. We'll be better for it. At this point, trade Hall for what you can get and good effing riddance! We should be able to get back some experienced help on fwd trading Hall, Ebs, Yak (and maybe Nuge) and our defence will praise the heavens for that.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
that's the flaw in the thinking of people who back Hall. We DO NOT want another Hall type player to replace Hall! We need someone with more experience, smarter, can impart wisdom, add chemistry. And he doesn't need to be as "talented" an offensive player. We'll be better for it. At this point, trade Hall for what you can get and good effing riddance! We should be able to get back some experienced help on fwd trading Hall, Ebs, Yak (and maybe Nuge) and our defence will praise the heavens for that.

So... now it's our forwards who are hindering out defense? Huh, we've all had it wrong for so long...

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
IMO a combination of Hall, Nuge Eberle, Yak + anything else besides our first this year, Drai, Mcdavid, Nurse and Klefbom should be able to get what we need. Maybe you disagree.

I disagree for reasons that I have stated. Trades involving the exchange of star players don't happen. Multiple stars (or nearly stars) in one trade is the stuff of video games.

Regardless defending Halls play this year is laughable. He hasn't had a good year in since 2 seasons ago and there's a reason he never made best on best team canada even when he was playing well.

Were you in a coma for the first half of this season or something?

Right now I don't even consider him a top 3 player from his draft year. Apparently that's acceptable to some of you. To me it's extremely disappointing

The player with the second highest total points and best PPG rate from his draft class isn't in the top 3 of said class. K bud.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I disagree for reasons that I have stated. Trades involving the exchange of star players don't happen. Multiple stars (or nearly stars) in one trade is the stuff of video games.

The player with the second highest total points and best PPG rate from his draft class isn't in the top 3 of said class. K bud.
Johansen for Seth Jones happened this year. Johansen is as much as a star as Taylor Hall or at least comparable. So yes players like Taylor Hall do get traded in the NHL.

His first half of this season was great. Too bad the next half was the polar opposite. NHL seasons are 82 games unfortunately.

If you would take Taylor Hall right now over Seguin, Tarasenko or Kuznetsov then your a homer. No other way to put it.

Originally Posted By*

"K bud"? Wow, condescending.

Nobody cares about one half season performances, you won't make the playoffs if you push till Janruary unless another lockout happens. Stop praising Hall and his 50% of a season performance like it's a good thing - it's not.

We don't need Hall type of players, we need complete players to compliment McDavid. This isn't Hall's team.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Johansen for Seth Jones happened this year. Johansen is as much as a star as Taylor Hall or at least comparable. So yes players like Taylor Hall do get traded in the NHL.

Not comparable. That was a problem for a prospect deal. And even if I concede the point that's one example in what, 10 years?

His first half of this season was great. Too bad the next half was the polar opposite. NHL seasons are 82 games unfortunately.

You don't trade a player like that for a bad half season unless you suck at GMing.

If you would take Taylor Hall right now over Seguin, Tarasenko or Kuznetsov then your a homer. No other way to put it.

68747470733a2f2f33312e6d656469612e74756d626c722e636f6d2f35356431373063383938623234303738336463333332313234626264313937642f74756d626c725f696e6c696e655f6e34666f616672613043317365773830682e6a7067

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
[mod]

Nobody cares about one half season performances, you won't make the playoffs if you push till Janruary unless another lockout happens. Stop praising Hall and his 50% of a season performance like it's a good thing - it's not.

Hall played a bad half season and is still top 30 in the league in scoring, sixth best among LW. If you don't think that's an achievement, especially on a god awful hockey team, you're simply blinded by whatever it is is motivating you in your pointless and baseless crusade against the player.

We don't need Hall type of players, we need complete players to compliment McDavid. This isn't Hall's team

Teams have four lines.

Last edited by a moderator:

Originally Posted By*

[mod]

Hall played a bad half season and is still top 30 in the league in scoring, sixth best among LW. If you don't think that's an achievement, especially on a god awful hockey team, you're simply blinded by whatever it is is motivating you in your pointless and baseless crusade against the player.

Teams have four lines.

then why are you so opposed to trading Hall? :popcorn:

He can be replaced. Defenceman are tougher to replace.

I think defence is our biggest organizational deficiency, not left wing lol

Originally Posted By*

To add to that; we might be drafting a winger who brings much more to a potential team than Hall (Laine) who can grow with the team.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015

Huh?

No, players of Hall's calibre are not easily replaced.

It's not a zero sum game. You can address the D without trading Hall.

To add to that; we might be drafting a winger who brings much more to a potential team than Hall (Laine) who can grow with the team.

Ah yes, another shiny new bauble who will be better than all the old baubles who were shiny baubles themselves once.

Originally Posted By*

Huh?

No, players of Hall's calibre are not easily replaced.

It's not a zero sum game. You can address the D without trading Hall.

Ah yes, another shiny new bauble who will be better than all the old baubles who were shiny baubles themselves once.

that's the spirit, and cheaper too ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad