Taylor Hall has 1 goal in 19 games

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
None of Edmonton, NJ, Arizona or Buffalo were good teams when he arrived.

While none of the teams were very good when he arrived, none really got any better either. It was a tongue in cheek post, but at some point the question has to be asked. Has he made poor choices/luck where to play, or is he a part of the reason that these teams continue to suck?

Reactions: Mr Positive

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
While none of the teams were very good when he arrived, none really got any better either. It was a tongue in cheek post, but at some point the question has to be asked. Has he made poor choices/luck where to play, or is he a part of the reason that these teams continue to suck?
That's a worthy question but it would still be interesting to see him traded to a contender this trade deadline. A team where he's not expected to save the team.

I know some say Arizona was that, as they were good when he got there and then regressed, but it was an early hot streak where there were signs that regression was near.

It would be something to see him just as the boost for a cup push. Boston, Tampa, Philly, St.Louis

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Hall looks good when I’ve watched him. Eichel needs to step up and Eric Staal is absolute garbage right now. I would blame them more than Hall for bad play.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
He had his pick of the litter this year and chose Buffalo...:laugh:

It wasn't a bad strategy though - for starters, it appears that Buffalo was offering $3M more than any other team. He knew he'd be playing with Eichel, so it made sense that (theoretically) the two of them would gel together and boost Hall's stats setting him up for a nice long-term contract. Even with the addition of Hall, Buffalo was still considered a long-shot to make the playoffs (nearly everyone had them pegged for 7th in the division) and with a full NTC Hall could decide which team he goes to at the trade deadline - with Buffalo eating 50% of the cap hit and the hit further reduced for the acquiring team since the trade is made at the deadline, this would also theoretically expand the number of teams that could afford Hall versus those that had space this past offseason. By the trade deadline, we could see Hall pick the team(s) that give him the best chance of winning the Cup (which may not have been able to afford him this past offseason) while collecting 60% more salary than he otherwise would've this season.

Things have not been going according to plan so far, given how poorly Hall and the Sabres have been - though if he does get traded and performs well with a new team (particularly in the playoffs), he could chalk the struggles up in Buffalo to being more of a product of the team/coaching.

It would actually be interesting to see a player in the league just take 1-year contracts from season to season. If Hall were to sign with a bottom feeder team with plenty of cap space each of the next few seasons, have a full NTC to dictate where he went at the trade deadline, he c0uld probably earn more money and give himself a good shot of winning the Cup at some point versus signing a long-term contract this offseason.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Hall looks good when I’ve watched him. Eichel needs to step up and Eric Staal is absolute garbage right now. I would blame them more than Hall for bad play.

Seemed clear that Eric Staal was caught completely off guard with that trade and had no interest in leaving Minnesota. He should still be a professional and play accordingly, but I could understand his frustration with the situation. He by far outperformed his 1st contract with Minnesota and took another team-friendly deal only to get shipped out a year into it.

HP00

Oct 27, 2007
Buffalo, NY
I'm not mad we signed him, there was always a good chance we were gonna trade him. At this point it's a signing that won't hurt our team or deplete it in any way and in the end we may get a few picks and/or prospects out of it

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
He had his pick of the litter this year and chose Buffalo...:laugh:

On the other hand, Buffalo has a recent history of vastly overpaying scoring wingers. If your ultimate goal was to make money then Buffalo may be the obvious choice. Which could be why you see stories recently about Hall potentially extending in Buffalo.

Right now we are in the middle of the 2021 Hall story. By the end of this Hall could win a Cup with a team he gets traded to as a rental and sign a massive contract. At that point we may look back and think Hall was pretty smart to sign a full NMC with Buffalo, make $8 million in a flat Cap year, and pick his contender. Rather than sign with a middle-tier team and get wiped out in the first round of the Playoffs again.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Seemed clear that Eric Staal was caught completely off guard with that trade and had no interest in leaving Minnesota. He should still be a professional and play accordingly, but I could understand his frustration with the situation. He by far outperformed his 1st contract with Minnesota and took another team-friendly deal only to get shipped out a year into it.
It seemed like a logical fit, and you would think he would provide some needed leadership to this squad. Theres obviously a huge problem with chemistry on this team but imo I don’t think Hall is the issue.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
So many good players on Buf and elsewhere are in such crazy cold streaks. I have no idea why. It is odd.

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
Just as long as he doesn't get traded to Toronto, I'll be good lol!

Really though, I thought this was a smart play by Hall when he signed. Get a big payout, boost your stats playing with Eichel, cash in again on a multi-year deal... that didn't go to plan. I've always liked him and so badly want to see him win, but he may have shot himself in the foot with this short term Buffalo signing. I'm sure a contender will still try to scoop him up as a UFA

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Hall has become one of those roadside charlatans selling concoctions he brewed up in the mens room at the Eaton Centre...

miracle-elixir.jpg

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
On the other hand, Buffalo has a recent history of vastly overpaying scoring wingers. If your ultimate goal was to make money then Buffalo may be the obvious choice. Which could be why you see stories recently about Hall potentially extending in Buffalo.

Right now we are in the middle of the 2021 Hall story. By the end of this Hall could win a Cup with a team he gets traded to as a rental and sign a massive contract. At that point we may look back and think Hall was pretty smart to sign a full NMC with Buffalo, make $8 million in a flat Cap year, and pick his contender. Rather than sign with a middle-tier team and get wiped out in the first round of the Playoffs again.

Right now, he's tanked his value, has 1 goal in 20 games and on pace for a 49 point season. At this point, you're saying his only chance of making it out of this season if getting traded and winning a cup? Chances of that are slim to none - a team still has to fit him under the cap, why would anyone pony up extra assets to have Buffalo retain up to 50% on a player that's having a massive down year?

Your part about him being able to "choose a contender" now is wrong, he had that choice in the summer, just about every contending team is capped out right now. There will be very few options if any to go to a contender at the deadline.

Last edited:

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
When he signed with Buffalo I had this hunch that his ego plus Eichel's ego would be a bad mix, but I also thought that the talent between the two was too great, they would still be relatively productive.

It's far worse than I imagined.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
The Sabres have finally found the linemate that Eichel's lacked his whole career, he'll be better than Matthews in no time.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
People saying they think his shooting percentage is low and it should return to the mean for his career...I don’t think it will happen this year on the Sabres.

Here is the offensive strategy:
1a. Dump and chase
1b. Gain the zone with speed and pass backwards to a trailing teammate.
2. Pass it back to the point.
3. Low percentage shot from the point or outside (traffic in front of the net optional).
4. If there is any risk of the other team retrieving the puck, immediately retreat from the o-zone.

Don’t forecheck or put pressure on the other team. Never get below the puck or else you’ll get in the coaches doghouse!

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
He won two Memorial Cups in junior. He knows how to win but not in the NHL, it seems.

That's the craziest thing for me. Back in the Hall or Seguin debate, his being a 'winner' was often cited by pundits and fans as to why they had him rated higher. I think both players careers would've been better if The Oil drafted Seguin and Hall went to The Bruins. I don't think the 'entitlement' they gave him in Edmonton did him any favours. They thought they were getting a more talented Landeskog or Toews but he's just not that guy.
After the fact, Ference who was brought in to bring some veteran leadership, without saying names, (I don't have the exact quote and my hazy memory is hazy) talked about that it wasn't a good dressing room and how hard it was to get through to the young players as they all just pointed out that they were better than him.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
That's the craziest thing for me. Back in the Hall or Seguin debate, his being a 'winner' was often cited by pundits and fans as to why they had him rated higher. I think both players careers would've been better if The Oil drafted Seguin and Hall went to The Bruins. I don't think the 'entitlement' they gave him in Edmonton did him any favours. They thought they were getting a more talented Landeskog or Toews but he's just not that guy.
After the fact, Ference who was brought in to bring some veteran leadership, without saying names, (I don't have the exact quote and my hazy memory is hazy) talked about that it wasn't a good dressing room and how hard it was to get through to the young players as they all just pointed out that they were better than him.

I'm sure there is some truth there. but it is also true that losing teams always have negative dressing rooms. The fact that Ference was installed as captain before playing a game, by a coach players didn't respect, who'd replaced a players coach who they did respect and Ference's game fell off a cliff.... all contributed to worsening the lack of leadership on that team. He wasn't a legit leader by example or by inspiration.

Reactions: b in vancouver

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Right now, he's tanked his value, has 1 goal in 20 games and on pace for a 49 point season. At this point, you're saying his only chance of making it out of this season if getting traded and winning a cup? Chances of that are slim to none - a team still has to fit him under the cap, why would anyone pony up extra assets to have Buffalo retain up to 50% on a player that's having a massive down year?

Your part about him being able to "choose a contender" now is wrong, he had that choice in the summer, just about every contending team is capped out right now. There will be very few options if any to go to a contender at the deadline.
If Buffalo wants to move Hall at the deadline, they might have to eat 50% of his contract without getting any extra value. That's the kicker when dealing with huge contracts in a cap league. Hall to x team at 50% for a pick or two and cap dumps to even out the salary, where possible. Right now there are 5 playoff teams who could trade for him without sending salary back (with 50% retention). That number goes up when you consider there are teams that could include a player back to Buffalo to even cap hit.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Still can't understand his decision to sign in Buffalo, makes no sense especially after he said he wanted to go to a winner
This is kind of unrelated but it's a good comparison.

The NY Red Bulls had a player from Argentina who said he was homesick and wanted to be closer to his family.... so he left the Red Bulls and signed with a team in Saudi Arabia.

So I guess that's something.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad