Taylor Hall has 1 goal in 19 games

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
This why you go for the long term deal when you have the chance. A lot can go wrong when you sign a 1 year deal, Hall being the most recent example. Unless he gets moved to a playoff team & has a great run, his value has tanked and he's probably lost quite a bit of money on his next deal.
And with him approaching 30 - not many GMs will be looking to hand him anything more than 3, or 4 seasons.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
He bet on himself and the Sabres and appears to have lost on both counts. Logic dictates that he has cost himself a ton of money but never count out NHL GMs, even in this economic climate from throwing out ridiculous $$$/term for a guy like Hall. I don't hate the player. He's been productive overall when healthy but there's a lot of risk.

Death, taxes and GMs overpaying for name recognition players like Hall

Reactions: bigtim1988

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Hall is #1 in goals scored below expectation this year.

Eichel and Skinner are both top-10 too.

The chances have been there (don't get me wrong, they are performing below expectation too), but the lack of finish has been incredible.

Always something new with this team. Cursed team.
Squeezing the sticks a bit too hard and overthinking it. A coaching change makes a lot of sense

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Why does everyone’s potential die in Buffalo.
We haven't hired a proven coach since Bylsma who had us respectfully at an 82 point season after drafting Eichel, then he followed it up with an 78 point season and he got fired (which is where Eichel got the coach killer nickname) and its been all downhill with first time unproven coaches since.

Management has killed us, the Pegula's have made horrible hire after hire at GM and each GM has hired unproven new coaches one after the other.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Hall is an immense talent... but why do all of the teams he goes to, suddenly suck? Does he have the worst luck in the world, or is a big contributor to the problem? How many times has he been part of a team getting first overall? I mean, Sabres must be thrilled with the idea of them getting Power.. but they have to keep him, and not trade him at deadline for that to work.

He won two Memorial Cups in junior. He knows how to win but not in the NHL, it seems.

Reactions: b in vancouver

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Based on the article, I imagine you also want to get rid of RNH asap?
I was thinking about this a bit more.

I think I have a better framing of my Nuge connundrum.

Nuge was always considered an inferior player to Matt Duchene. Nuge never hit the career highs that Duchene did.

Nuge is only 2 years younger than 'the Douche', and is safe to say will face an equal or worse decline into his 30's.

So..

Knowing what we know of Duchene's current level of play, and his career trajectory, how much do you think he would be worth at his current contract (I think he's below $4m AAV).

I think Nuge should be paid less than that on a shorter term

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
It's safe to say the Sabres are regretting this decision. ya think?!

Why would they? What else were they going to do with the cap space?

They can retain 50% on Hall's expiring contract and get a decent return of picks/prospects at the deadline

Reactions: AndreiThreeK

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Why would they? What else were they going to do with the cap space?

They can retain 50% on Hall's expiring contract and get a decent return of picks/prospects at the deadline
Yeah they still essentially get free assets for nothing

But you have to think that they were hoping for a little more... at this rate they won't even get a 1st for salary retained

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'm a Coyotes fan and I love Taylor Hall. I hope he's willing to re-sign in Arizona this summer. The Buffalo gamble seems not to be paying off. Maybe he'll reconsider Phoenix. I'd be thrilled if he came back, regardless of the hate he's getting in this thread.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
It's 20 games now and only 1 goal. And what's worse the goal was scored in Buffalo's first game so it's 19 games in a row without a goal for Hall. And his first goal wasn't all that impressive either as it was a fluke goal on the powrplay:

This is also Hall's longest goalless streak of his career as his previous record was 11 games. The last time Hall scored twice in a game was January 14th 2020 and we have to go back to 2018 before we find his next 2 goal game. And what's even crazier is the fact that Hall's last hattrick was March 30th 2013, almost 8 years ago. I think it's safe to say that we've seen the best of Taylor Hall and he's in full regression nowadays...

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Hall should still get a fairly large deal in the offseason.

But with the escrow and even more clawbacks by owners man will it hurt

rodney dangerfield

Dec 8, 2015
shouldve signed a 1 year deal with a contender. everything had to go right for it to work in buffalo and predictably its gone all wrong. the sabres used kruger as a way to sway hall and he fell for it. the dude has never had a winning season as an nhl coach. what was hall thinking? was he desperate? did no other teams offer 1x8m or something close?

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
None of Edmonton, NJ, Arizona or Buffalo were good teams when he arrived.
:laugh::laugh::laugh: That was my first thought when I read the post. Buffalo has 'suddenly' sucked for about a decade. All in all, that's one seriously sucky bunch of teams.

Why does Hall keep going to these teams? Sign for $4m to play on the 2nd line for a decent contender. Have a bit of fun and enjoy the game.

Buffalo really has to get rid of their coach. That's a better roster than they've shown so far. They are a great example of why management shouldn't be be so hasty to fire coaches in the early stages of a rebuild. There are only so many times that you can fire a coach before the pressure on players is just too much. If you are rebuilding and your roster sucks, let it suck with whatever coach you have in place. Fire him when you are ready to contend. Looking at you, Detroit fans...

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Hall is an immense talent... but why do all of the teams he goes to, suddenly suck? Does he have the worst luck in the world, or is a big contributor to the problem? How many times has he been part of a team getting first overall? I mean, Sabres must be thrilled with the idea of them getting Power.. but they have to keep him, and not trade him at deadline for that to work.
I wouldnt say that the oilers or the sabres "suddenly sucked". Both were bad for quite a few years prior to him joining those teams.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
I'm a Coyotes fan and I love Taylor Hall. I hope he's willing to re-sign in Arizona this summer. The Buffalo gamble seems not to be paying off. Maybe he'll reconsider Phoenix. I'd be thrilled if he came back, regardless of the hate he's getting in this thread.
Out of the frying pan into the fire.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He had his pick of the litter this year and chose Buffalo...:laugh:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad