Taylor Hall has 1 goal in 19 games

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
I'm pretty sure the Devil's wanted to sign Hall, Hall wasn't giving them anything so they traded him at the deadline, he seemed pretty set on becoming a Free Agent. Jersey has a ton of capspace and Hall wouldn't have interupted the rebuild.

I think that the word "deal" in a quote you have pasted means "a trade", not "a contract". Potential injury could ruin a trade but Devils could still sign him.

And I disagree with Hall not interrupting the rebuild, before COVID it was believed you'd have to offer 7-8 years to Hall at the quite big cap hit, I believe not less than 7.5M. Given Hall's injury history, it'd have a huge potential to become another Skinner or Eriksson contract and quite possibly 3-4 years of that contract would happen during Hughes' and Hischier's prime.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
Hall is #1 in goals scored below expectation this year.

Eichel and Skinner are both top-10 too.

The chances have been there (don't get me wrong, they are performing below expectation too), but the lack of finish has been incredible.

Always something new with this team. Cursed team.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He and draisaitl looked really good together in his last season in Edmonton, and even if he’s no longer the Hart caliber player he used to be, Hall would definitely be an upgrade on Kahun in that 2lw spot.

Still, I’d only do it if Hall accepted an absolute sweetheart deal.
Yeah, it would need to be the type of deal that made people say "Why did he sign for that little? He needs to fire his agent". Edmonton just doesn't have the cap space for another high priced forward when we have bigger holes on the roster to fill.

Reactions: KirkW

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
It's safe to say the Sabres are regretting this decision. ya think?!

Signs for 8m, is close to home and gets to play with the supposedly 2nd best American centre in the game, not sure what's wrong, but I'm thinking Taylor Hall may be regretting his decision

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Hall is #1 in goals scored below expectation this year.

Eichel and Skinner are both top-10 too.

The chances have been there (don't get me wrong, they are performing below expectation too), but the lack of finish has been incredible.

Always something new with this team. Cursed team.
Hall has 4th liner finish, always has

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I'm pretty sure the Devil's wanted to sign Hall, Hall wasn't giving them anything so they traded him at the deadline, he seemed pretty set on becoming a Free Agent. Jersey has a ton of capspace and Hall wouldn't have interupted the rebuild.

He was traded in December 2019 long before the trade deadline.

He was never offered a contract because the knee injury really screwed up things for him in terms of negotiating with Shero who didn't want to sign him long term until after seeing how he would play coming back off that knee injury.

The team had an absolutely putrid start, Hall looked uninterested, they fired Hynes in early December who Hall really liked and made him sulk even more. Held out Hall for a few games because of trade talks and then that was that when they made the trade.

Taylor Hall: Why NJ Devils' Ray Shero never offered a contract

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I have no doubt as a Sabres fan, especially after watching O'Reilly in St. Louis, that there are many Sabres players who will seem to be much better players, on another team, in another system. Risto, Dahlin, Hall, and even Eichel. I can see them all flourishing on a teams that have structure, leadership and are already successful.
oilers fan here

I feel your pain

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I read an article back in 2015, that immediately made me want us to get rid of Taylor Hall.
(I wanted a better return than Larsson, but I still wanted Hall gone).

Oilers reboot with focus on scoring goals - TSN.ca

Hall is a loser, and this is what a loser looks like.

I'm in the minority of Oiler fans who doesn't want Hall back either.

Based on the article, I imagine you also want to get rid of RNH asap?

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Based on the article, I imagine you also want to get rid of RNH asap?
I'm not thrilled about RNH, and I certainly don't want to hand him a contract larger than his current one (or longer than 4 years). I'd prefer we trade him.
But I guess one key difference with Nuge over Hall is that he has a mousey personality, and is not particularly vocal.

I just don't think any team can win when they need to rely on unconfident players who have no faith in their abilities.

I mean if this were the elimination game of the Stanley Cup Finals, and they were down by a goal, don't you want the players who have faith in their unit to get the next one?

And you're telling me this doofus not only has no faith in his unit in a practice, but actually jeered and taunted the player who did?

Last edited:

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Hall making 5 mill on a teams 2nd line makes for a solid team. The problem is, Hall is chasing that 8-9 million dollar contract and he just isn't that level player.

$5M isn't market value.

That's what 31 year old Dadonov got on a 3-year deal.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I'm not thrilled about RNH, and I certainly don't want to hand him a contract larger than his current one (or longer than 4 years). I'd prefer we trade him.
But I guess one key difference with Nuge over Hall is that he has a mousey personality, and is not particularly vocal.

I just don't think any team can win when they need to rely on unconfident players who have no faith in their abilities.

I mean if this were the elimination game of the Stanley Cup Finals, and they were down by a goal, don't you want the players who have faith in their unit to get the next one?

And you're telling me this doofus not only has no faith in his unit in a practice, but actually jeered and taunted the player who did?
It was the other unit that he had no faith in.
Hall and the others were on the 1st pp unit. They were betting against the 2nd pp unit.
Not necessarily a great look, but it isn't betting against themselves.

LGBlues

Feb 25, 2014
He does not seem too eager to give the puck to the best player on the ice either - someone needs to tell him it is not him.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Hall is an immense talent... but why do all of the teams he goes to, suddenly suck? Does he have the worst luck in the world, or is a big contributor to the problem? How many times has he been part of a team getting first overall? I mean, Sabres must be thrilled with the idea of them getting Power.. but they have to keep him, and not trade him at deadline for that to work.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I’ve been a Hall fan forever, the guy has the tools but he is missing “it”.
If I were him I sign to a contender cheap, and try to earn a spot and future contract with that team.

I guess someone signs him to a top dollar contract though.. like Seattle

Reactions: PuckNut

joplin

Dec 20, 2010
EU
Only Sabres are stupid enough to give these kinds of contract to players with baggage like Hall and Skinner. You can't win anything with these kind of players

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
I’ve been a Hall fan forever, the guy has the tools but he is missing “it”.
If I were him I sign to a contender cheap, and try to earn a spot and future contract with that team.

I guess someone signs him to a top dollar contract though.. like Seattle

Hall doesn't have the nuts to grind and earn a contract. We are seeing the result of that now. He's going to go to whatever GM is stupid enough to pay him too much.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Taylor Hall signed a 1 year 8AAV deal this offseason in order to boost his value getting to play with a great center in Eichel. Is it safe to say he is regretting this decision at this point? Or is he just not as good as the media like to suggest? What is going on?

He is not as good as the media suggest. The knock on Hall has long been that his playstyle is unsustainable as he ages, and perhaps we're already seeing it.

I know people are going to blame the Sabres for Hall's troubles but Hall has disappointed people for half of his career. A few great seasons and in all the other ones we get threads like this one.

IIRC he didn't get any big $50m offers in free agency. I believe someone actually reported that his other option was a multi year deal at like $6m per. GM's don't seem to like him as much as HF does.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
He is not as good as the media suggest. The knock on Hall has long been that his playstyle is unsustainable as he ages, and perhaps we're already seeing it.

I know people are going to blame the Sabres for Hall's troubles but Hall has disappointed people for half of his career. A few great seasons and in all the other ones we get threads like this one.

IIRC he didn't get any big $50m offers in free agency. I believe someone actually reported that his other option was a multi year deal at like $6m per. GM's don't seem to like him as much as HF does.

I'd chalk that up mostly to Covid to be honest. The biggest forward contracts signed in free agency were Toffoli at ($4.25m x 4 =$17m) and Dadonov ($5m x 3 = $15m). Only Pietrangelo, Krug and Markstrom really cashed in in free agency. There wasn't much money there for guys like Hall and Hoffman on top end teams, who obviously would've gotten longer and better deals than Toffoli and Dadonov, but the limited supply of cap space hurt them more, since most teams probably only had the cap space to pay them $4-5m per year (which happened to be market value for Toffoli and Dadonov, but certainly is below market value for Hall and Hoffman). Having an extra year to prepare for this summer's free agency now, I suspect some teams are going to let more of their UFAs go in pursuit of Hall/Hoffman types.

I don't see Hall getting $8-9m x 7 like he was looking at prior to Covid (based on a combination of flat cap limitations, his lower level of play the past few years, and turning 30 later this year), but I could see a good team giving him something like $6.5m x 5 years, or something close to that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad