Speculation: Taylor Hall contract talk (part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
obviously talent is a broad stroke and anyone will have their own definition. But my definition of talent in the context of this conversation is someone who has play driving, game changing type ability. Because, in reality - all professional athletes playing at the highest level are considered "talented". Even the Peter Harolds of the world could be considered talented..

I don't think coaching is the only issue. My #1 is drafting but that is a different argument.

Are PK, Nico, Hughes & Palms talented? Sure.
Are they talented enough to drive a team to playoff contention? I haven't seen it yet.
I think we have a big enough sample size from Palms to know what he is. A good player but not a foundation piece.
PK i think is a aging vet who was once great and now his impact on the game is way less than it was. But either way, not a big difference maker.
Nico, the sample size is growing and I am extremely disappointed . He has time to turn it up, but I am not optimistic.
Hughes, jury is still out. But it hasn't been consistent - yet.

Drinking the Koolaid is fine but the players you mention don't pass the eye test, don't pass the stat watching test, don't pass any test except being decent but not great players.

People can rage all they want. But our players are just simply not nearly good enough.

Dude, what?

Nico and Palms DID drive us to the playoffs.

And if the jury is out on Hughes for you then I suggest you watch another sport on a regular basis.

Sorry dude, the kid is special and is already showing it.

Reactions: glenwo2

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013
Dude, what?

Nico and Palms DID drive us to the playoffs.

And if the jury is out on Hughes for you then I suggest you watch another sport on a regular basis.

Sorry dude, the kid is special and is already showing it.

Keep on drinking that drink bud. Let me know when that talent actually shows up on the ice..and on the stat sheet. You can always pull out some advanced stats and show me how defensively responsible nico is. The playoff run was a team effort and Hall going nuts. Never said palms was trash just not a core piece.

Oh look we’re down 3-0 and it’s only been 10 minutes. Coach sucks, but players suck equally.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Keep on drinking that drink bud. Let me know when that talent actually shows up on the ice..and on the stat sheet. You can always pull out some advanced stats and show me how defensively responsible nico is. The playoff run was a team effort and Hall going nuts. Never said palms was trash just not a core piece.

Oh look we’re down 3-0 and it’s only been 10 minutes. Coach sucks, but players suck equally.

Never said you called Palms trash, just pointed out that he was a main driver for the team making the playoffs that year. But yes, I do believe he's a core piece. You don't replace 30 goals with what we have in the A.

And I hate to tell you, but Nico as an 18 y/o was Hall's centerman during that Hart run.

You also failed to address Hughes. Huh.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I'm hoping for a young prospect drafted in the mid first round, an established young roster player and a pick if re-signed. At least one player must be a defenseman.

Something like Zadorov, Newhook and a 2nd.

According to the main board he’s worth a second a conditional second a prospect along the lines of Bastian and a cap dump.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don’t think we would get the conditions if he went to Colorado. I just don’t believe Sakic wants to give him his big payday.

It’s going to be a team desperate for a star winger that will take the risk on a big contract

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Byram isn't some B-level prospect. He's legit. Now, it's impossible to say for sure a d-prospect will be a franchise player but Byram is definitely up there.

He is 'just a prospect'. If he wasnt he'd be in the NHL.

Some of you guys are so criminally under rating Hall it's becoming ridiculous. He's 1 season removed from a Hart and at almost a ppg on a trash bag team. You put him next to MacKinnon or Kadri and he'll pot 40. Plus they need LW help right now.

And add who? Bratt? Goose? Zacha? No one is doing that for a prospect.

uh...what? Look at Makar...just cuz he wasn't in the NHL at age 18 doesn't mean he wasn't a A+ quality prospect.

You do...realize...how young Byram is right?

Last edited:

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Saw this in some article and it might have been mentioned here already.

Bean, Bokk, 1st from carolina for Hall. I'd do that in an instant tbh.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
This may be more an around the league thing or prospect thread thing but...

I know some people are concerned about Ty Smith because his numbers are down compared to last year. Byram is also having a down year by the numbers, is there some bloom off of Byram or is he dominating and not getting breaks?
Giants offense dried up this season. As for Byram, his goalscoring is down this year, which was kind of expected, but he is doing just fine and progressing nicely.

As for Smith, you guys shouldn't worry. He won't ne an offensive dynamo, but has a pretty damn high ceiling defensively.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Mark Stone is not, he's a glorified Kyle Palmieri.

And I've been saying in almost every post that all of this is predicated upon Hall pre-agreeing to an extension with his new team.

Sounds like you've never actually watched Mark Stone play

Don't comment on things you know nothing about.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
What are you guys expecting/hoping as a rerun for Hall?

Very difficult to say. Hoping for? A 1st, a quality young player and a conditional 1st. Expecting? I really have no expectations. Players like Hall don't get traded often, so it's hard to judge value. You can say Stone or Duchesne, but neither of those players have the pedigree Hall does, and there's usually some GM willing to pay for pedigree. Lowest I could see Hall returning would be an A level prospect plus a conditional 1st.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
I am just ready to move on. Build around Jack, Nico, Bratt, Smith, and our top 5 pick.

One of these things is not like the others.

Bratt is a complimentary piece, in my opinion. He's not a guy you'd 'build around'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad