Speculation: Taylor Hall contract talk (part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
So much can happen in a hockey season though. If we were 12-0 right now he would be rushing to sign? That is just as short-sighted as not signing because of a slow start.

Any number of things can go right or wrong in a season. Teams under and over perform all the time.

Reactions: My3Sons

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
So much can happen in a hockey season though. If we were 12-0 right now he would be rushing to sign? That is just as short-sighted as not signing because of a slow start.

Any number of things can go right or wrong in a season. Teams under and over perform all the time.

probably because hockey players are dumb and shortsighted

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think this month tells a lot. If he's not signed by Thanksgiving I bet Shero starts taking calls on him.

I don’t think Shero is going to tie himself to arbitrary deadlines unless Hall’s agent flat out says he doesn’t plan on resigning.

If he feels the team is still in it, and there is a reasonable chance Hall resigns even after testing the UFA waters I don’t think he trades him.

That assumes, and it’s a big assumption, Ray is comfortable with how Hall’s health looks and no one offers us something ridiculous for him. Like if on the off chance Colorado did offer up Byram, you make the trade even if you think you have like a 50-60% chance Hall resigns. It’s too good an offer.

If Ray doesn’t think Hall’s knee is worth the mega contract he will 100% be traded.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I don’t think Shero is going to tie himself to arbitrary deadlines unless Hall’s agent flat out says he doesn’t plan on resigning.

If he feels the team is still in it, and there is a reasonable chance Hall resigns even after testing the UFA waters I don’t think he trades him.

That assumes, and it’s a big assumption, Ray is comfortable with how Hall’s health looks and no one offers us something ridiculous for him. Like if on the off chance Colorado did offer up Byram, you make the trade even if you think you have like a 50-60% chance Hall resigns. It’s too good an offer.

If Ray doesn’t think Hall’s knee is worth the mega contract he will 100% be traded.
I'm not saying there's a set date, but with them meeting this week, probably not done with that, and factoring in how the team plays the rest of the month, I think this is a big month. If we don't keep getting points I can see Hall being moved.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Because they won a game 7-1? You can't be serious, they lost two of their best wingers and hall is one of the best rentals in years. Frieking Rick Nash got a 1st rounder.

I'm being half-facetious but really now people are overstating the need for the Avs...if this was February that'd be one thing but they aren't making a trade because their winger has an indefinite timetable in November. If they were in danger of missing the playoffs that'd be another thing, but clearly performances like tonight don't suggest that's the case either.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I'm being half-facetious but really now people are overstating the need for the Avs...if this was February that'd be one thing but they aren't making a trade because their winger has an indefinite timetable. If they were in danger of missing the playoffs that'd be another thing, but clearly performances like tonight don't suggest that's the case either.

Colorado fans were speculating that Sakic would want to do a deal sooner rather than later so the player would have time to gel with the rest of the team. I really don't think you lose to wingers of Rantanen and Landeskog's quality and just shrug your shoulders.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Colorado fans were speculating that Sakic would want to do a deal sooner rather than later so the player would have time to gel with the rest of the team. I really don't think you lose to wingers of Rantanen and Landeskog's quality and just shrug your shoulders.
Big Mac apparently left the game as well. Avs need a winger that can score some goals so I do not know how much Hall helps in that area

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Conversely if this is gonna be one of those year where the Avs just lose everyone for long stretches then this isn't the year you make a trade anyway. You save your powder for when you have your full arsenal or close enough to it.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Conversely if this is gonna be one of those year where the Avs just lose everyone for long stretches then this isn't the year you make a trade anyway. You save your powder for when you have your full arsenal or close enough to it.

Or Rantanen and Lando come back for the playoffs and that puts you over the top. The Avs are also one of the best positioned teams to sign Hall long term. They get a nice long 6-7 month look at him before committing the big bucks. I don't know, makes a lot of sense to me.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
His goal scoring is off to a slow start but the Avs are welcome to trade for any other 39 goal forwards that are available right now.
That was a career year. What is his next high in goals in a season? He will never play like that again. Sakic is a LOT smarter than your average HF poster. He knows that you pay for what someone will do in the future, not what they did in the past.

Reactions: MauDevils

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Or Rantanen and Lando come back for the playoffs and that puts you over the top. The Avs are also one of the best positioned teams to sign Hall long term. They get a nice long 6-7 month look at him before committing the big bucks. I don't know, makes a lot of sense to me.

Because you're looking at him as a long-term need, not as a short-term luxury which he actually would be for them. They have no reason to want to import a guy to give another big contract when they'll soon enough have their own guys to pay.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
That was a career year. What is his next high in goals in a season? He will never play like that again. Sakic is a LOT smarter than your average HF poster. He knows that you pay for what someone will do in the future, not what they did in the past.

He got those goals playing next to Nico Hischier, you don't think he can score just as much playing next to Nathan MacKinnon?

Because you're looking at him as a long-term need, not as a short-term luxury which he actually would be for them. They have no reason to want to import another big contract when they'll soon enough have their own guys to pay.

He's a short term need and could be a long term fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->