Speculation: Taylor Hall - Contract discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I'm glad to see there is some movement on this. If our window to contend really is opening, Hall needs to be part of that, pretty much regardless of the cost.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Said it before will say it again.

hall isn’t resigning this season. He will go to ufa where I fully expect him to resign IF the devils are legit competitive this year.

No this doesn’t mean the devils should trade him at the deadline. They absolutely won’t deal him if they are in a playoff chase and they shouldn’t.

the only way hall gets traded is if this team sucks and falls apart. Then it will be clear he won’t be signing and they will move him.

I’m not saying this is Kovy 2.0 but I don’t think there is a lot of teams that could afford hall who are ready to compete. We are. Will he want to go to the islanders ? The panthers? Can they even afford him?

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Said it before will say it again.

hall isn’t resigning this season. He will go to ufa where I fully expect him to resign IF the devils are legit competitive this year.

No this doesn’t mean the devils should trade him at the deadline. They absolutely won’t deal him if they are in a playoff chase and they shouldn’t.

the only way hall gets traded is if this team sucks and falls apart. Then it will be clear he won’t be signing and they will move him.

I’m not saying this is Kovy 2.0 but I don’t think there is a lot of teams that could afford hall who are ready to compete. We are. Will he want to go to the islanders ? The panthers? Can they even afford him?
Interesting, so we can close the thread then?

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Let's go baby

Don't be so picky, show me your nits

Ray's a beauty, just name your price baby

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
What about other incentives like no trade clauses? If he physically breaks down or the cap situation gets ugly, could he be traded to a team looking to get to the cap floor?

devilsfan35

Jun 15, 2015
At most he should get Tavares money. Tavares plays the more valuable position but hall won mvp. Give or take 10-11 mil should be the price tag

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
What about other incentives like no trade clauses? If he physically breaks down or the cap situation gets ugly, could he be traded to a team looking to get to the cap floor?

I was thinking about that before and I could see there being a NTC for like the first 5 or 6 years then maybe a limited or modified NTC to finish out the deal

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Well it’s good they are talking extension. That is better than the Islanders got with Tavares until the end.

I think it is important to get him extended. It can become a perpetual cycle if a star player walks where others then look around and think why should they stay.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I guess I’m in the minority and fine paying hall whatever it takes to keep him. You don’t just let players of hall caliber leave lol. Are we going to get rid of hughes nico etc when they reach ufa at age 28? You can’t always worry about the cap. Great players cost great money that’s just the way it goes.

Yes they do cost money but by no means should the Devils “can’t always worry about the cap”
How do you think we got Gusev and Subban for pennies on the dollar ? Cap space is a HUGE asset.

You cannot hand out ridiculous contracts without sacrifing depth and flexibility .
Look at how much grief Toronto had this off-season . It’s insane how much % of the cap if tied up on 4 forwards. After Muzzin and Barrie co tracts are up , one or both are gone as they cannot afford them .
I agree that the Devils should try to keep Hall , but only at a price that makes sense for the franchise. I love Hall as a player but care more about winning as a team , cannot give him a blank chequer or we will end up so forward top heavy that our bottom 6will be replacement level players bad.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Cap space is an asset, but only if at some point you are willing to use it. Otherwise you are just a budget team playing at a handicap.

Reactions: Sgt Brylin

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I'm sure he will, but that shouldn't be from us. Hard pass on that deal and anyone that's gung-ho on doing that deal is insane.

It's not like Hall can only be traded for a crap ton of futures; there's no real reason why we wouldn't be able to move him for immediate help.

EDIT: Just for the record, I love Taylor Hall. He's exciting to watch and my preference would be for him to stay here at a reasonable deal. But I would not feel comfortable a.) giving him an 8 year deal that starts right before his 29th birthday with his injury history and b.) making him a top 1-2 paid winger over that time period when he might not even be a top 10 winger in the league. It's not a good recipe for team building.

This is 100% completely my thought as well .
Love Hall , would like to keep him , but not at any amount that would jeopardize losing Hughes or Nico or prevent us from having any real depth . Look at pittsburg and their bottom 6 ... even the wingers in the top 9 ... after Guentzel (who they struck gold by drafting ), they have a pile of “meh”

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Cap space is an asset, but only if at some point you are willing to use it. Otherwise you are just a budget team playing at a handicap.
Which we just did .
After Subban Simmonds and Gusev deals are up , we can use that cap room to resign Nico and Hughes (hopefully Gusev as well) and try to find good replacements for Subban and be active in UFA market if need be .
If any good UFAs pop up , not many teams can act . I know building a team with UFAs is not the way to go , but every once in awhile a steal comes along

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Yes they do cost money but by no means should the Devils “can’t always worry about the cap”
How do you think we got Gusev and Subban for pennies on the dollar ? Cap space is a HUGE asset.

You cannot hand out ridiculous contracts without sacrifing depth and flexibility .
Look at how much grief Toronto had this off-season . It’s insane how much % of the cap if tied up on 4 forwards. After Muzzin and Barrie co tracts are up , one or both are gone as they cannot afford them .
I agree that the Devils should try to keep Hall , but only at a price that makes sense for the franchise. I love Hall as a player but care more about winning as a team , cannot give him a blank chequer or we will end up so forward top heavy that our bottom 6will be replacement level players bad.

having cap space didn’t help us land gusev seeing how a lot of other teams have the space for his cap hit. I think us willing to part with the picks and pay 4.5 got us him. Other teams probably didn’t want to give up that much or pay that much.

even with all that cap problem the leafs will still finish probably second or third in the conference and if they didn’t play in the same division as the bolts and bruins probably make the conference finals.

cap space is just that cap space it doesn’t help you win hockey games if you have more of it then the other team. What matters is you pay the right contracts to the right players. I don’t see how people can think the nhl mvp of two years ago a player that was going at a point per game last year isn’t worth a big contract? Lol keep saving that cap space I guess if we are down 3-2 in the third I hope it can put a goal in. Hall? Can help on the ice and help the team win now. Stop worrying about 5 years from now. The devils don’t have to keep this roster forever they can trade someone or cap space they can trade someone for assets

Offseason Champs

May 16, 2011
I mean real talk Hall should sign like a two-three year contract as like a "let's see how this goes" sort of thing. Locking him down into a 6 or 7 year deal may be kind of iffy, but taking him up to 29/30 years old may be a smart move on both sides: another big time contract for Hall to cash in on and time for the two sides to see if they're still a fit. In two-three years it should be VERY clear what direction the team is going in.

Reactions: Billdo

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
This is 100% completely my thought as well .
Love Hall , would like to keep him , but not at any amount that would jeopardize losing Hughes or Nico or prevent us from having any real depth . Look at pittsburg and their bottom 6 ... even the wingers in the top 9 ... after Guentzel (who they struck gold by drafting ), they have a pile of “meh”

We're not going to have to worry about Hughes' second contract until the summer of 2022, after Subban, Zajac, Greene, and Cory (a combined 25.75 million) are all off the books. Hell, the only player currently on the roster under contract going in to 2022-23 is Severson. The only two players likely to get significant raises between now and then are Nico and Bratt. I don't think Hall on a big contract is going to be as much of a problem as some are worried about. It might be a little tricky for a year or two until those guys I mentioned are all done, but we see teams find ways to clear space all the time.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
$15M may be the market if the TV contract is big and Seattle enters the league as a large market. I don't know why the TV contract would be big.

The TV contract is rumored to be almost a 100% increase, and a huge contributor in the speculation that the cap could experience a nice bump.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
The TV contract is rumored to be almost a 100% increase, and a huge contributor in the speculation that the cap could experience a nice bump.
The off-season two years from now is going to be very interesting. Palms, Goose and Coleman are all UFA and I think that’s when the new tv deal happens...everyone is going to throw around crazy money. That combined with the expansion draft, its going to be a wild offseason.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018

if he physically breaks down to the point where he cannot play he will be on LTIR. This contract discussion is puke worthy overall, sign the man to whatever Shero/Ferris/Hall agree to and lets try to win a cup during that span. end of story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad