Dreger: Taylor Hall and MTL

mikeg

Feb 28, 2004
Assuming he stays healthy, I think the Devils know that as the deadline approaches his cap hit gets lower and more teams will make better offers. Historically, teams at the top are willing to pay with 1sts because their value is lower to them. A 1st from a team like Boston is worth more than a 2nd from Montreal. I just think that if the Devils are smart they can wait this out and get at least a 1st, a comparable 2nd tier prospect that MTL would offer and a character roster player from any team that is looking to improve their team before the playoffs.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Assuming he's a rental, Primeau and a first rounder seems like a solid offer. If declined, I think the Devils would be able to find a deal to match it elsewhere.

it would be understandable if the Habs don't really believe the team is close enough to contention to make that move; I don't either. This is going to be an expensive player to acquire and you should believe you have a legitimate shot to pull the trigger on that kind of transaction.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
so Suzuki was available for a signed Max Pac but is off the tablefor a signed taylor Hall. making pax > hall in many Habs fans eyes? got to give to get to get to get out of the ongoing spin cycle in poutinville.

trades are hard.
marc Bergevin

why would we trade Suz now the way he's playing?

the Suzuki the Knights traded isn't the same player that's playing on the Habs

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
so Suzuki was available for a signed Max Pac but is off the tablefor a signed taylor Hall. making pax > hall in many Habs fans eyes? got to give to get to get to get out of the ongoing spin cycle in poutinville.

trades are hard.
marc Bergevin

Suzuki has progressed a lot since that trade winning the OHL playoff MVP award and having a good start in the NHL this year. So not the same value.

Reactions: Steeler23

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Don't need Hall, we need a LD. As usual, Dreger is clueless. If we're gonna move assets it'll be for a LD.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
why would we trade Suz now the way he's playing?

the Suzuki the Knights traded isn't the same player that's playing on the Habs
oh hes magically tranformed? he was considered by many their number 2 prospect and has developed well so far. who exactly was he then. he wasnt a late round draft pick who came out of nowhere. again, got to give to get. many here dont wanr to give up any of their top 5 prospects to sign Hall who has a better pedigree then Pax

trades are hard
marx bergevin

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005

trades are hard.
marc Bergevin

So a prospect/player's value can't change after 14 months? Their value remains what it was the day they were traded? I would argue that Suzuki's value has gone up since the trade, but that's my opinion obviously.

Not saying your wrong, but you can't base it off Nick Suzuki's value in October 2018

mikeg

Feb 28, 2004
Assuming he's a rental, Primeau and a first rounder seems like a solid offer. If declined, I think the Devils would be able to find a deal to match it elsewhere.

it would be understandable if the Habs don't really believe the team is close enough to contention to make that move; I don't either. This is going to be an expensive player to acquire and you should believe you have a legitimate shot to pull the trigger on that kind of transaction.

The way the Habs are going that 1st could be a top 5-15 pick, for a rental... that is too much, Bergevin would not make that trade.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
So a prospect/player's value can't change after 14 months? Their value remains what it was the day they were traded? I would argue that Suzuki's value has gone up since the trade, but that's my opinion obviously.

Not saying your wrong, but you can't base it off Nick Suzuki's value in October 2018
agreed. my argument or debate is that Suzuki was the 2 prospect and Vegas gave him up for a signed pax while many habs fans dont want to give up any of their top prospects for a signed Hall. not how trades work.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
oh hes magically tranformed? he was considered by many their number 2 prospect and has developed well so far. who exactly was he then. he wasnt a late round draft pick who came out of nowhere. again, got to give to get. many here dont wanr to give up any of their top 5 prospects to sign Hall who has a better pedigree then Pax

trades are hard
marx bergevin

that's because this kind of deal is done by contenders

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
agreed. my argument or debate is that Suzuki was the 2 prospect and Vegas gave him up for a signed pax while many habs fans dont want to give up any of their top prospects for a signed Hall. not how trades work.

I agree, which is why I don't think the Habs are a good fit. Teams that are contenders can afford to give up their good/great prospects to give themselves a push to win the Stanley Cup. The Habs are a rebuilding team that has holes at pretty much every position. We're in no position to give up our top prospects.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
I agree, which is why I don't think the Habs are a good fit. Teams that are contenders can afford to give up their good/great prospects to give themselves a push to win the Stanley Cup. The Habs are a rebuilding team that has holes at pretty much every position. We're in no position to give up our top prospects.
i agree with you and respect your opinion. merely annoyed with certain fans that think they should be able to get a signed Hall without giving in return and offer far less then fair value.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Thought hall would want to go to a winning team

I'm sure he does, but it's not like there are a list of winning teams with 8-10 million dollars of cap space available for next year. There's basically Colorado and NYI. All the other teams that have that amount of cap space available are either in a rebuilding phase or a downward phase.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Not sure if you paid attention, but the Habs are out of the Hall rental business. Sign and trade if Hall is willing to sign in Montreal (big if)... We can talk Stone type return.

Mar 26, 2010
Does Montreal have the assets it would take to acquire an extended Hall? Not sure what they could offer.... Domi, Suzuki + 2020 1st.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Knights were able to add Stone and not trade their top guy in Glass while they could offer Brannstrom.

Glass = Suuzki and Caufield
Brannstrom = Primeau, Brook, Poehling

I would have no problem with Byron, Poehling, Brook, 2nd for Hall with extension. Why? Cause It does not leave a huge hole in our prospect pool. I would also have Primeau on the table as an option. If they want to swap Byron for Tatar, the futures are reduced.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Does Montreal have the assets it would take to acquire an extended Hall? Not sure what they could offer.... Domi, Suzuki + 2020 1st.

Wow.. You make it sound like you know nothing about Hall's current contract situation? Go look up the UFA rental return for Karlsson and then look up the sign/trade return for Stone and you get your answers.

1) Habs won't be in the mix for the UFA rental price.

2) Habs will be in the mix in the sign/trade option (like Stone). Best package I would offer is Byron (cap reasons), Primeau or Poehling, Brook, 2nd. We can swap Byron for Tatar but that means the futures are reduced.

Domi+Suzuk+1st? You need to rethink that one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad