News: Tavares to Explore Market - To Speak with 5 teams: TODAY IS THE DAY (Mod Warning in #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Agreed. We got reamed on the Kessel trade and it's insecure to argue otherwise.

Given what has transpired since then, I would 100% do the trade again, but it was bad value even under the extreme restrictions.

You and @MattySnipes are wrong imo. You can't look at a trade in a vacuum and just say they lost because the assets maybe don't add up. I mean that's great and all, but the real world has context. And the context says the Leafs had an absolute ton working against them and did the best they probably could with the situation. Ultimately both teams got what they needed out of the deal.

Just to keep it brief the context included: Kessel have an NTC that only allowed him to be moved to 8 teams, only 1 of those teams being willing to trade for Kessel, huge contract, overwhelming negative press about Kessel, the fact that we were known to be dismantling our team starting with Kessel, rookie management Shanahan/Hunter/Dubas.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Let the leafs fans spam the thread. It'll be more fun when he goes somewhere else.
We're not spamming the thread it's not our fault we have a large fan base if you care to venture over to the Leafs board you'll see that over 90% of the fans feel he will re-sign with the Islanders. No real news has come out indicating he signing with any of the potential suitors. After all, this is a discussion board.

Reactions: 1specter

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Let the leafs fans spam the thread. It'll be more fun when he goes somewhere else.

You mean the exact result the majority of us have predicted?

Everyone is quick to jump on us and claim we're gonna call Tavares crap or unneeded if we miss out. That's not gonna happen... well, not exactly anyway.

Tavares is definitely not crap, or overrated.

Tavares is however unneeded. We'll be fine if we miss out on him. People will just pretend that the majority of us havent already been saying that so they can troll us... Doesn't mean we don't want him though.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
You and @MattySnipes are wrong imo. You can't look at a trade in a vacuum and just say they lost because the assets maybe don't add up. I mean that's great and all, but the real world has context. And the context says the Leafs had an absolute ton working against them and did the best they probably could with the situation. Ultimately both teams got what they needed out of the deal.

Just to keep it brief the context included: Kessel have an NTC that only allowed him to be moved to 8 teams, only 1 of those teams being willing to trade for Kessel, huge contract, overwhelming negative press about Kessel, the fact that we were known to be dismantling our team starting with Kessel, rookie management Shanahan/Hunter/Dubas.

These are all great factors into why 81 got traded and for the amount he did. I'm not as upset at what we got back for him just the salary retention. But all the bolded played a big part.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
I find it odd that sanjose was clearing so much cap space in advance of this process. My money is on tavares going to sanjose and he met with these teams to avoid tampering charges.

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
If that happens

“ we’re better off without him”

“ it helps out our cap that we didn’t get him “

“ he’s overrated anyway “

I think an overwhelming majority of Leaf fans will tell you, before the decision is even made, that it would be great to have a talent like JT but if he goes elsewhere, we are more than comfortable with our team, and our cap space, moving forward. Most expect him to re-sign in NY. If he comes to Toronto, it's an unexpected bonus.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I find it odd that sanjose was clearing so much cap space in advance of this process. My money is on tavares going to sanjose and he met with these teams to avoid tampering charges.
He wouldn't need to meet with those teams to avoid tampering charges. He could just sit at home during this period tell the Sharks he is signing and do it on July 1 and that would be that.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
How does that saying go again "small thing amuse....."?

I have only ever seen a very few Leaf fans say they don't want Tavares and out of those the vast majority don't feel he is coming here anyway.
Most will be disappointed and then get over it.

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
Tavares is coming off what can only be described as an absolute sweet heart 6 year deal with the Islanders, a deal that made JT widely seen as the most underpaid star in the league. My God, David Clarkson earned more.

He signed for less than he was worth with no hassle whatsoever. He gave the Isles cap flexibility at the expense of his own financial well-being. He let the Isles buy valuable free agent years at an embarrassingly deep discount. He spoke about having faith in Charles Wang and Garth Snow to fulfil their pledge to build the team into a Stanley Cup contender.

Loyalty in the extreme, I’d say. If there’s something else the guy needed to do to show his devotion to the team, please tell me.

He was eligible to re-up with the Islanders a year ago. Where is a single press report that Tavares was actually offered a new deal? I can’t find any evidence that he turned down a single offer from the club. Does someone know for certain that the club even presented a genuine offer?

Last season, 108 NHL players earned a higher salary than Tavares, 37 of them centres.

That’s just not right.

The Islanders have had a year to fix that and reward Tavares for his loyalty and his financial sacrifice going forward, and the first story I’ve read about the team offering a new deal is less than a week ago from a General Manager who officially joined the team 30 days ago?

I cannot imagine another NHL team mishandling their star player so horribly.

Personally, I don’t care where he signs now but I do hope he is happy with the choice he makes. His story should serve as a cautionary tale to every young, loyal star who believes that his masters have the same ethical fabric he does.

^ What a load of hot garbage.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

I highly doubt there was tampering... Sharks were just putting themselves in the position to take a run at Tavares should be make it to UFA.

Reactions: StanleyCup2035

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Bingo.

It's not that a Canadian being paid in USD makes 30% more. It's the price of goods and services, as a general rule, do not tend to keep pace with the exchange rate.

In my truck example, I save $4,000 CDN by buying my truck in Canada as opposed to converting my money and buying it in the US, at least today.

Yes for some goods the prices are lower in Canada. Just like people in Europe used to come to NY to go shopping on the "cheap". But, its also not so easy as saying 11US = 14CA and 14 > 11, obviously.

For some goods, prices are lower in Texas and Florida than they are in Toronto, but lets be honest...in reality, the VAST majority of his money is going into investments and tax vehicles. He isn't going off and buying a fleet of trucks :).

I think we all agree that these marginal financial benefits (exchange rates, taxes (not just income), real estate prices, yada yada...) are NOT going to be the primary consideration. If he was making 1.5 million, all that comes into play more.

Reactions: Holy Mackinaw

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
You mean the exact result the majority of us have predicted?

Everyone is quick to jump on us and claim we're gonna call Tavares crap or unneeded if we miss out. That's not gonna happen... well, not exactly anyway.

Tavares is definitely not crap, or overrated.

Tavares is however unneeded. We'll be fine if we miss out on him. People will just pretend that the majority of us havent already been saying that so they can troll us... Doesn't mean we don't want him though.

I don't think Toronto or Boston or Tampa need Tavares. But, if one of those three teams gets him, the other two will freak out.

edit: I just hope he doesn't go to Toronto and Boston reacts by signing JVR or some crap. Bob saying Boston and SJ were in on JVR made me scared.

Reactions: Sypher04

Sherwood71

Jul 18, 2016
For those who haven't been able to determine what has actually happened in this thread (because its a s**t show)
Summary of what we have learned in this thread:
  1. SJS will forever make the playoffs
  2. Tavares will have a life time supply of free bagels if he re-signs with NYI
  3. The two teams that need a center the most (Montreal and Blues) were not invited
  4. The Maple Leafs are signing Tavares for 8 years at $1 million and he will make the rest of his money through sponsors
  5. Yzerman wants Tavares so he can build one of the most stacked teams ever in the salary cap era
  6. Different currencies have different purchasing powers based on the price of goods and services in other countries
  7. The Islanders defense will have a GAA of 1.00 next season due to Trotz
  8. Lou has been hiding behind foliage and fake plants for the past week to stalk Tavares
  9. How to do our taxes
If I forgot something, please let me know. And yes, some of these are jokes, but I won't tell you which ones so there's some mystery :naughty:

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto
If that happens

“ we’re better off without him”

“ it helps out our cap that we didn’t get him “

“ he’s overrated anyway “
Or “we’re a better team with Barzal as 1C”
Or “he’s not that good anyway, leafs signed a terrible contract”
Or “wahlstrom will be better”
Or “overrated big time” soon as he signs with the leafs.

Anything else I’m missing in terms of excuses?

Goes both ways ;)

Reactions: Yamazaki

Chairman Mallard

Mar 9, 2007
Santa Rosa

All they really did was get rid of Boedker. Regardless of any new signings Martin was gone. Boedker was decent in the postseason but was good for only about 1/5 of his time in San Jose. I don't think opening cap space with those two guys really proves anything WRT Tavares other than they have the space to sign him.

Reactions: Sypher04
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille