Tavares return to Long Island

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
If I'm going to make a trek to watch a hockey game its not going to be to see the Brooklyn Islanders play. It'd be a place like Tampa, Nashville or SJ, especially given its the middle of February in Canada and especially when you consider the terrible seating configuration they have at Barclays.

That said, Brooklyn Islanders fans really need to move on, its at a level of obsession with them.

This game is at the Nasseu Coliseum.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Easier to blame Tavares for leaving then the owners and management who have put them in this "2 rink" situation that played into Tavares leaving.

I find it laughable how worked up their fan base gets about JT. All going on about how he didn't tell the truth so they could have traded him.

Since when does a pending UFA need to come out with a desire to leave to initiate a change. Look at Matt Duchene right now. They gave up a #1 overall potentially for him. But he won't sign. So they're going to trade him because that is what is best for their franchise.

NYI could have had picks out of us up until 10pm or so on June 30th or so more then likely but Lou decided right away to not allow that.

Many stupid and just wrong decisions made by multiple NYI owners and GM's allowing their star to leave for no return in his prime. All the player did was play out his contracts while playing at a high level. All he's ever required to do.

Its their franchise left with the black eye based on how they handle his return. Certainly not ours or his.

Reactions: CincoHolio

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Figures this would be on a Thursday. Hate Thursday games.

kevynadams42

May 2, 2010
This is going to be a tough one for JT, no doubt. I just hope his teammates do a better job of supporting him than they did when NYI came to town.

Would love to see someone like Matthews or Marner take over the game and quiet the crowd.

I'd love to see JT score 5 goals. If Marner and Matthews want to chip in, that's cool too. But my god, could you imagine?

Was hoping he would score #39 that night (would eclipse his career high of 38) - not looking as likely as it was earlier in the year, but he could score four goals in the next four at home before that one.

kevynadams42

May 2, 2010
Pretty sure if JT signed with the Shraks, most of all these non sense won't be discussed. They hate on JT leaving but also hate the fact that he went to the Leafs.

They interpreted the realization of a childhood dream as statement that he was leaving the whole time. But I bet the boos would be pretty mighty had he signed elsewhere.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Pretty sure if JT signed with the Shraks, most of all these non sense won't be discussed. They hate on JT leaving but also hate the fact that he went to the Leafs.

Yeah, and nobody dreams of playing for the Islanders. :laugh:

kevynadams42

May 2, 2010
O/U 1 Islander Tavares jersey thrown on ice.

I'll say over.

Likely over. I was at the original final Islander game at the Coliseum (before Barclays failed). Game 6 of the 2015 ECQF against Washington. The Isles won to force a Game 7, which they lost.

I was looking at some photos I took on my phone - there are a couple shots at the end of the game as the Caps were leaving the ice and the area around their tunnel/bench/end of the ice is littered with beer bottles (the plastic variety). Keep in mind this is a game that the Islanders won.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I don't know how this guy is in the dressing room obviously, but I've said it before, it's a telling sign about this guys character that he chose to come to Toronto and play in the high pressure atmosphere. Many of us who have grown up Leaf fans all played road hockey and emulated a Leaf player. If we had the talent and were in the NHL, how many of us would welcome the chance to try and win in Toronto? It takes a special player with certain characteristics.

I say for this alone, it shows that this guy does duck pressure. Other players did (Stamkos). Hey to each their own, but I think it illustrates that he isn't selfish. He wants to give back to the fans and the city, knowing how much it would have meant for him as a kid to watch the Leafs win the Cup.

Good to see former teammates have his back. He's having a hell of a year too. I underestimated his skill, if that was possible. He's motivated, and I hope he gets to hoist the Cup on Toronto ice.

Tavares' former teammates not buying criticisms of his character - Sportsnet.ca

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I can't imagine that Iles fans would be that pathetic. It is easy to hide behind a keyboard.

They may be cowardly but I think some are that pathetic, get a few into a group and they feel brave, feed those goddamn things alcohol and they'd square off to city bus.

The Tavares riots of 2019 it'll be called.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
They may be cowardly but I think some are that pathetic, get a few into a group and they feel brave, feed those goddamn things alcohol and they'd square off to city bus.

The Tavares riots of 2019 it'll be called.
Anything is possible I suppose.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
All in all there may have been some hurt feelings, but I bet we will see the fans receive him very warmly. He will probably receive a few boos from the odd classless fan but the majority of fans will have a standing ovation or cheer him on for what he did for the Islanders

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
No the brave face was directed IF we would be in the same position when Matthews becomes a UFA at age 26.

A difficult situation as they also gave him a NM for the last year which is asinine for a 5 year deal. They basically have to decide if they are going to drop their pants and pay him the moon after 4 years, or give him all the control at expiration and put themselves in the Isle's situation, except JT gave his club 9 years, not 5. I would really like to know is KD unable to win a negotiation, or has the NHL turned a page in its economics giving control over to the player? It still sucks watching the Bolts somehow manage to underpay their stars offsetting a frequent over payment to their foot soldiers. Point will perhaps change that somewhat, although nobody seems to use TB as a comp for their deals. If he is worth it, they will find a way to keep him but hopefully KD is long gone by then.

kevynadams42

May 2, 2010
A difficult situation as they also gave him a NM for the last year which is asinine for a 5 year deal. They basically have to decide if they are going to drop their pants and pay him the moon after 4 years, or give him all the control at expiration and put themselves in the Isle's situation, except JT gave his club 9 years, not 5. I would really like to know is KD unable to win a negotiation, or has the NHL turned a page in its economics giving control over to the player? It still sucks watching the Bolts somehow manage to underpay their stars offsetting a frequent over payment to their foot soldiers. Point will perhaps change that somewhat, although nobody seems to use TB as a comp for their deals. If he is worth it, they will find a way to keep him but hopefully KD is long gone by then.

Matthews will be in his 8th season, not 5th.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
What’s going to happen when he gets a video tribute at the first commercial break.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad