Injury Report: Tavares out minimum two weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
But isn't it just better to lie so we can defend Babcock?
I don’t understand how Bergeron/Marchand can play with Pastrnak, Stamkos can play with Kuch/Point and McDavid can play with Draisaitl but Matthews can’t play with Marner?

What are we paying these guys for?
If a line of Matthews/Marner can’t carry the team for 2 weeks, you just wasted a ton of money.

Reactions: authentic and Kurtz

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I don’t understand how Bergeron/Marchand can play with Pastrnak, Stamkos can play with Kuch/Point and McDavid can play with Draisaitl but Matthews can’t play with Marner?

If a line of Matthews/Marner can’t carry the team for 2 weeks, you just wasted a ton of money.

What message are you sending Nylander if you flip him with Marner ?

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
But isn't it just better to lie so we can defend Babcock?

Of course.

Just to put the numbers out there - During the Leafs' 3 playoffs series over the last year Matthews has played with Marner 7.5% of the time at 5v5.

Also, while Babcock has long pushed his "only one puck" narrative as to why you couldn't play Datsyuk and Zetterberg together, for Babcock's sole Cup win Datsyuk played 79.8% of his 5v5 minutes with Zetterberg during that playoff run (and also more than 70% of the time with Lidstrom and Rafalski - all those guys must have been so frustrated with only one puck on the ice). After that Babcock learned his lesson and over the rest of career Datsyuk played with Zetterberg only 33% of the time at 5v5.

Now in saying that I am not saying that Matthews and Marner should play together. I feel that their styles might just not work together, but I I don't know and it hasn't really been tried.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
That they trust him at center
If Nylander plays as 2C then you wouldn’t be flipping them. You’d be giving Nylander more responsibility and a chance to drive a line.
Others have said it below. Own your line and we believe in you as center over Mitch and Kerfoot.

I was proposing Nylander playing #2RW with Kerfoot at C. Agreed that if you put Willie at #2C, it would be a positive message.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Of course.

Just to put the numbers out there - During the Leafs' 3 playoffs series over the last year Matthews has played with Marner 7.5% of the time at 5v5.

Also, while Babcock has long pushed his "only one puck" narrative as to why you couldn't play Datsyuk and Zetterberg together, for Babcock's sole Cup win Datsyuk played 79.8% of his 5v5 minutes with Zetterberg during that playoff run. After that Babcock learned his lesson and over the rest of career Datsyuk played with Zetterberg only 33% of the time at 5v5.

Now in saying that I am not saying that Matthews and Marner should play together. I feel that their styles might just not work together, but I I don't know and it hasn't really been tried.
Yeah I just think that's something that should be attempted, especially in the regular season. I really like that Nick Nurse tried a lot of different things during the year so he'd have a better idea of what he could do in the playoffs and what changes he could make.

Babcock's fatal flaw is he doesn't know anything but his way and he can't make smart adjustments, and you see that in so many different ways. When the playoffs roll around again, Babcock will not know anything about how Marner and Matthews play together and he won't feel comfortable making that adjustment, among others. He'll continue to stick with what he knows and the other team will yet again catch on and beat him

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018

One of lifes mysteries ,only the Babs knows why...and I suspect it isn't a real gud reason either.

Reactions: Ryan Michaels

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Of course.

Also, while Babcock has long pushed his "only one puck" narrative as to why you couldn't play Datsyuk and Zetterberg together, for Babcock's sole Cup win Datsyuk played 79.8% of his 5v5 minutes with Zetterberg during that playoff run (and also more than 70% of the time with Lidstrom and Rafalski - all those guys must have been so frustrated with only one puck on the ice). After that Babcock learned his lesson and over the rest of career Datsyuk played with Zetterberg only 33% of the time at 5v5.

Yeah I just think that's something that should be attempted, especially in the regular season. I really like that Nick Nurse tried a lot of different things during the year so he'd have a better idea of what he could do in the playoffs and what changes he could make.

Babcock's fatal flaw is he doesn't know anything but his way and he can't make smart adjustments, and you see that in so many different ways. When the playoffs roll around again, Babcock will not know anything about how Marner and Matthews play together and he won't feel comfortable making that adjustment, among others. He'll continue to stick with what he knows and the other team will yet again catch on and beat him

One of lifes mysteries ,only the Babs knows why...and I suspect it isn't a real gud reason either.

I'm just so deep in Babcock Stockholm Syndrome I don't question it anymore. Why would the next best goal scorer in the league get paired with a top 5 playmaking winger? Why would it even be given an opportunity over a 3+ year timespan? Never crossed my mind these days.

Also those Detroit linemate stats are upsetting.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I'm just so deep in Babcock Stockholm Syndrome I don't question it anymore. Why would the next best goal scorer in the league get paired with a top 5 playmaking winger? Why would it even be given an opportunity over a 3+ year timespan? Never crossed my mind these days.

Also those Detroit linemate stats are upsetting.
Apparently,Babs wants to 'spread out' the scoring...OK ,I kinda get it...until you're losing.! Then ,I don't get it!

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Apparently,Babs wants to 'spread out' the scoring...OK ,I kinda get it...until you're losing.! Then ,I don't get it!

I don't mind it but he's had 3 years to give them a real look together and it's not like this team hasn't had rough patches. And look around the league were pretty much the only team doing this.

Reactions: hector morrison

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Of course.

i would gauranteeeee that Matthews/Marner would be prolific...Imagine another top winger on the other side to boot? But not in Babs world!

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I don't mind it but he's had 3 years to give them a real look together and it's not like this team hasn't had rough patches. And look around the league were pretty much the only team doing this.
He must of bummed when they signed JT...what to do with all that talent...'how do I keep it all separated".

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
How are they "****ed"? They lost an elite #1 center and they still have an elite #1 center. How many teams can do that?

They are literally better off than just almost every other team in the league would be, in this situation.

Ya but they got no defense and my point was by loading up on the 4 top forwards they had no money left for a well rounded team that could absorb the loss of one of those top guys.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
There is no shame to being behind AM and JT as a center and behind Marner as a rw.

Correct (and Nylander knows where he stands) but what does it say to Nylander if now that JT is out, Marner replaces him on the Matthews line and he is moved to the second line to play with Kerfoot at C ? I know I would not be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad