Injury Report: Tavares out minimum two weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Tavares was a big flex and the right splash but not necessarily the most perfect and urgent fit. Kind of the opposite of San Jose who really needed Tavares but ended up with Karlsson, we really needed that big splash to be Drew Doughty. I don’t regret it at all but merely stating how it could have been more perfect.

I think method of acquisition might have played some part. As a UFA signing, cap might eventually have to move to fit in that signing. Through a trade, LA might want/need to take back cap, but they'd possibly also want (good?) futures in addition to that. In fairness, a trade also opens up the possibility of gaining an extra year on the contract.

All that in mind, I'm good with the Tavares signing as well and looking forward to his return to the lineup. An equivalent UFA defenceman also being available and willing to sign with the Leafs could have made for an interesting either/or scenario back then.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I think method of acquisition might have played some part. As a UFA signing, cap might eventually have to move to fit in that signing. Through a trade, LA might want/need to take back cap, but they'd possibly also want (good?) futures in addition to that. In fairness, a trade also opens up the possibility of gaining an extra year on the contract.

All that in mind, I'm good with the Tavares signing as well and looking forward to his return to the lineup. An equivalent UFA defenceman also being available and willing to sign with the Leafs could have made for an interesting either/or scenario back then.
Tavares is da real deal. Getting 2 top centres is huge in the NHL. In 2-3 years he will move to left wing and we will have Tavares Matty Marner which will be twice Boston's top line.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Tavares was a big flex and the right splash but not necessarily the most perfect and urgent fit. Kind of the opposite of San Jose who really needed Tavares but ended up with Karlsson, we really needed that big splash to be Drew Doughty. I don’t regret it at all but merely stating how it could have been more perfect.
Doughtly looks terrible now. Not that the Leafs even had a chance to get him anyway

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Tavares is da real deal. Getting 2 top centres is huge in the NHL. In 2-3 years he will move to left wing and we will have Tavares Matty Marner which will be twice Boston's top line.

I think Bergeron's deal is up by then. That's not to say he won't re-sign, or will fall off significantly.

You don't think Tavares will be able to remain at centre?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I think Bergeron's deal is up by then. That's not to say he won't re-sign, or will fall off significantly.

You don't think Tavares will be able to remain at centre?
At some point his skating will push him to left wing. I'd say 2 or 3 years in future. Just a guess on my part maybe it is 4 years.

Reactions: Buds17
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad