Injury Report: Tavares out minimum two weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Yep, time to go deep into the depth chart... Jason Spezza lol. Great job Kyle!

There isn't a team in the league, that wouldn't miss an 88 point C. Yes, it's horrible to have a #5C like Spezza, at minimum cap. Take a look through the league, and tell me who has substantially better, sitting in the press box waiting to play.

Reactions: ktownhockey

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Marner at center means he is focused on the defensive aspect of the game every shift instead of focusing on creating for his teammates which we need more.

It may sound small but it makes a massive difference in the game.
Besides the fact he hasn't played a lick of centre since his failed attempt in junior.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I still take this Leaf forward lineup without Tavares over that last one.

Without JT this line-up looks around a .500 team at best. IMO

That might not be much of a limb I'm going out on seeing Leafs have been a .500 team with him.

Opposition will now focus on taking away Matthews and nullifying him and that makes the rest of the roster very beatable on a nightly basis.

Perhaps we see at times other stepping up and filling in for injured players and lets hope the Leafs have some secondary players up their games and become more impactful.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Without JT this line-up looks around a .500 team at best. IMO

That might not be much of a limb I'm going out on seeing Leafs have been a .500 team with him.

Opposition will now focus on taking away Matthews and nullifying him and that makes the rest of the roster very beatable on a nightly basis.

Perhaps we see at times other stepping up and filling in for injured players and lets hope the Leafs have some secondary players up their games and become more impactful.

But Paul Marner told us his son is as good as Matthews so we have 2 Matthews on this team and if the real Matthews is getting shutdown then fake Matthews should be able to drive his line and doesn't need a world class center to help get his points.

We were all told this by Paul Marner via his puppet Dreger.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
There isn't a team in the league, that wouldn't miss an 88 point C. Yes, it's horrible to have a #5C like Spezza, at minimum cap. Take a look through the league, and tell me who has substantially better, sitting in the press box waiting to play.

It shouldn't have to be a guy sitting in the press box. If Dumbass hadn't have given away the farm on 4 guys (with only Tavares deserving the BIG $$$$$) he could have afforded to have a deeper team. Now, you break one egg (or finger) you're f***ed.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
It shouldn't have to be a guy sitting in the press box. If Dumbass hadn't have given away the farm on 4 guys (with only Tavares deserving the BIG $$$$$) he could have afforded to have a deeper team. Now, you break one egg (or finger) you're f***ed.

1. “Observe which side resorts to the most vociferous name-calling and you are likely to have identified the side with the weaker argument and they know it.”
-
Charles R. Anderson

2. With this "Massive give away the farm" overpay... which amounts to somewhere between 2-3 million dollars... we would have been best advised to upgrade the D, and backup goalie situation. We wouldn't have added another C anyway.

3. It's an over the top reaction, that our season is now finished, because of a singular injury, that will see a player out six games.

Reactions: Tall Morty and kb

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
But Paul Marner told us his son is as good as Matthews so we have 2 Matthews on this team and if the real Matthews is getting shutdown then fake Matthews should be able to drive his line and doesn't need a world class center to help get his points.

We were all told this by Paul Marner via his puppet Dreger.

The JT injury impacts Marner more than any other Leaf, but he also has the talent to step up and increase his impact on the results and its going to be interesting to see Marner now going forward as his importance and role increase based on need.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I take it more as seeing if Kerfoot is actually a straight replacement for Kadri as many believe he is.

he isn’t. Defensively better maybe. Definitely not as good offensively. Barrie doesn’t look like much under coach babcock either. The Aves are winning this trade right now and i usually have Dubas’s back.

There is no way in hell that Barrie and Rielly aren’t the best option manning the point on the Powerplay. It must be f#@king killing Barrie playing for this joke of a coach.

Take this maybe with a grain of salt because i am just hating on Babcock today ;). Everything that comes up i find myself saying it would be better with a real coach.

Muzzin is so under utilized in the same way Barrie is. This is a badly coached team. I can’t find reason to blame the Barrie’s and Kerfoots for not exactly shining for us.

Plz don’t judge Kerfoot under this premise!

Reactions: ToMaLe

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
1. “Observe which side resorts to the most vociferous name-calling and you are likely to have identified the side with the weaker argument and they know it.”
-
Charles R. Anderson

2. With this "Massive give away the farm" overpay... which amounts to somewhere between 2-3 million dollars... we would have been best advised to upgrade the D, and backup goalie situation. We wouldn't have added another C anyway.

3. It's an over the top reaction, that our season is now finished, because of a singular injury, that will see a player out six games.

If you read my post, I never said we needed another centre, I said we needed a deeper team. That includes a better defense. That all rests on the GM shoulders. Because of that, if one of the big ones goes down that will have a greater impact on the team.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If you read my post, I never said we needed another centre, I said we needed a deeper team. That includes a better defense. That all rests on the GM shoulders. Because of that, if one of the big ones goes down that will have a greater impact on the team.

Of course, star players go down, they have a greater impact on the team, than lesser players.

To have a deeper team, also requires having less star players. Swap out a Marner, or Tavares, for a few guys making $2-3 million, instead of league minimum.... deeper team instantly... Better though... that's subjective, and I'd disagree.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Im more concerned of the long term psychological and emotional impacts this injury will have on Tavares. Apparently its his nose picking finger.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
Of course, star players go down, they have a greater impact on the team, than lesser players.

To have a deeper team, also requires having less star players. Swap out a Marner, or Tavares, for a few guys making $2-3 million, instead of league minimum.... deeper team instantly... Better though... that's subjective, and I'd disagree.

That's a better disagreement than your unfounded attack on me. I disagree. Give me 1 or 2 stars and surround them with quality, hungry 2nd tier players anytime, not 4 so-called stars and a bunch of unproven youngsters or over-the-hill slugs.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
The JT injury impacts Marner more than any other Leaf, but he also has the talent to step up and increase his impact on the results and its going to be interesting to see Marner now going forward as his importance and role increase based on need.

Not many team can lose Tavares and have a better/younger center to cover it. Matthews should be getting 21 to 23 minutes per game now! There is no excuse for less ice time now.

I say its on Matthews to step up! He can only do so much if he only gets 18 minutes a game in this two weeks. Marner needs to be left off the PK also for a spell. He doesn’t have to be on there.

Babcock gives Marner less shorthanded minutes and more even strength minutes along with Matthews getting more minutes we would be fine. It won’t happen and if it doesn’t Babcock a detriment to the teams success.

Marners opportunity to lead and I don’t think it will end up bad because he is so dynamic and competitive when responsibility lands in his lap.

Reactions: Menzinger

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

How are they "f***ed"? They lost an elite #1 center and they still have an elite #1 center. How many teams can do that?

They are literally better off than just almost every other team in the league would be, in this situation.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
except he did play Toews and Kane together at least part of the time. And of course, he's had some success over the last decade. Any decision can look good if you win. Not so much if you win one playoff series in the last eight years

Kane and Toews played together 70% of the time in the playoffs (5v5) on their first cup run, 40% during their second cup run and 20% on their third cup run.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
How many other teams in this league wouldnt be negatively impacted by the loss of a guy at JTs level?

Yall just creating giant strawmen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad