Injury Report: Tavares out 3 weeks with oblique strain

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
You don't draft someone in the 20's and 30's to replace John Tavares.

Plus, Minten is a pure center.
Why would you assume replacing JT? I was talking about C's in pipeline with NHL capability who could start with 4th line duty .. from what I see we lack serious playoff speed with our forward group as a whole and more particularly with our C's .. they do have SKILL but in pro playoff hockey SKILL is not gonna prevail ever .. you need speed and power and grit to power through skilled guys who most always go away

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
This is an unusual number of injuries for this time of year. This will test the depth. Perhaps that's a good thing.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Extended look for some, look at this as the glass half full, but someone like Holmberg may get an extended look at C in the top 9.

Reactions: aingefan

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Better to be injured now then in April

Leafs were bad first 7 games last year and came 4th in the NHL in reg season

3 weeks is less than 7 games for JT. Shouldn't cause to much troubles for the team

Reactions: Morbo

kb

Aug 28, 2009
You're saving $11M in cap space if you LTIR Tavares.

That would allow you to bring in another two way forward and a top pairing D man.
He has to miss 10 games and 24 days in the regular season.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Are you saying you think injury luck and playoff failures are somehow compareable? lol

Liljegren and Tavares, both pretty short term, are not serious problems for this org right now. Remember when it was Matthews wrist and we weren't sure when it would heal? That's when the alarm bells go off.
Of course not but some people want to blame everything on bad luck

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Sure a person could get injured during training but we are up to 3 already and camp has just begun. Seems kinda high to me or is this just bad luck like our last 6 playoffs

The NHL has 32 teams and many of them have more than a few injuries during camp. Sometimes we don't, sometimes we do.

I'm really not understanding this negativity and vitriol.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
The NHL has 32 teams and many of them have more than a few injuries during camp. Sometimes we don't, sometimes we do.

I'm really not understanding this negativity and vitriol.
It's really getting to the point where many also openly mock or come down on posts/posters who don't share in their negativity.

I like hockey and I like the Leafs. I'll cheer them on till the end no matter what.

115 points (4th overall), 1 goal from beating out the 2 time cup champs with very shaky goaltending. Matthews and Tavares were coming off serious injuries to start the season as well.

I think this team is much closer than many posters think.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Sure a person could get injured during training but we are up to 3 already and camp has just begun. Seems kinda high to me or is this just bad luck like our last 6 playoffs

Seems pretty typical. Especially since none of them seem especially serious. Most every team has a few guys injured right now. Last year we started the year with Matthews, Mikheyev, and Mrazek injured.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Oblique tear won't make him fat and even if it nags like crazy its an 8 week injury at absolute worst. Tough luck if hes in your pool but I don't see any issues for the club stemming from this. They won without Matthews, they can win without Jt for a while. They will ice a weird top 6 for a while. Maybe Willie gets his shot at C.

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
Having 2 oblique/abdomen injuries pre contact is somewhat concerning.

If it was caused by over use during off season training I hope the leafs are evaluating their program a little

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Injuries are never good but if it's short term even to an important player like JT, we'll be okay

Reactions: kb

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
The early injuries really don't phase me. In fact I'm not awfully worried if they have a rocky start to the season, they had a rocky start last year as well and still pulled off a 115 point season.

Give Johnny have the season to recover for all I care. It's playoff success or bust.

Reactions: kb

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Oblique tear won't make him fat and even if it nags like crazy its an 8 week injury at absolute worst. Tough luck if hes in your pool but I don't see any issues for the club stemming from this. They won without Matthews, they can win without Jt for a while. They will ice a weird top 6 for a while. Maybe Willie gets his shot at C.

Last time he had this injury it seemed to create issues for his skating stride. Remember those really labored extensions.

I wonder if it's similar in any way to the Stamkos core muscle injury that required surgery before the Lightning won their cup? He was out for a while but eventually came back much stronger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad