Tavares or RNH?

NUhockey

Jul 6, 2010
Boston
There is a large amount of rationalizing going on in this thread. As much as I love the Nuge's style Tavares does just about everything better.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
65 points in 67 games his first year is hardly anything to write home about, and lets face it, a lot of guys have scored 106 points in a WHL season. so yeah, i stand by my comment, RNH has had one ok year in the dub.

Actually no, a draft eligible prospect getting that many points in the Dub isn't common at all. It most certainly was not an 'ok season'.

SoCalSharkzFan

Jun 24, 2004
The True Man's World
Tavares AINEC :sarcasm:

Tavares was a better prospect potential-wise, a better juniors player, and is already a #1 center. That's not to say RNH won't be good, but Tavares is already showing signs that he is special.

Ruslan Zainullin

Aug 2, 2011
Actually no, a draft eligible prospect getting that many points in the Dub isn't common at all. It most certainly was not an 'ok season'.

like i said, thats my position and im sticking by it no matter how much you dislike it.

moving on.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Could've sworn there was a debate topic like this one half a month ago............

But Tavares is definitely my choice. His instincts and offensive creativity level are off the charts. RNH seems to have terrific vision, which will make him a high point getter at some level, but will he be the kind of player that can dominate? Perhaps not. Mind you, with the linemates he'll be with, he doesn't need to.

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
Not trying to be a homer or anything but I wonder why people think that RNH would have gone 4th or maybe 5th in Tavares draft year? I know hindsight allows Duchene to appear a better pick and that you don't draft entirely off point totals but Duchene had 79 while RNH had 106(in 12 more games though). I always felt that Larsson and Hedman were very comparable and RNH was drafted before Larsson. I get that he is far from the best 1st to come along and understand why he is perceived on the lower end of recent 1sts but... I really am just curious.

Ruslan Zainullin

Aug 2, 2011
Not trying to be a homer or anything but I wonder why people think that RNH would have gone 4th or maybe 5th in Tavares draft year? I know hindsight allows Duchene to appear a better pick and that you don't draft entirely off point totals but Duchene had 79 while RNH had 106(in 12 more games though). I always felt that Larsson and Hedman were very comparable and RNH was drafted before Larsson. I get that he is far from the best 1st to come along and understand why he is perceived on the lower end of recent 1sts but... I really am just curious.

i think size has so much to do with it, evander kane put up 48 goals and 96 points while making the worldjunior team which RNH didnt do so statistically they are relatively similar but kanes size made him more nhl ready. i think that duchene and hedman were more nhl ready at that point with better size. so that would be my reasoning. rnh has good skills but his stature makes him questionable. there is a big difference between an 18 year old at 180 than a pencil thin 164

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
i think size has so much to do with it, evander kane put up 48 goals and 96 points while making the worldjunior team which RNH didnt do so statistically they are relatively similar but kanes size made him more nhl ready. i think that duchene and hedman were more nhl ready at that point with better size. so that would be my reasoning. rnh has good skills but his stature makes him questionable. there is a big difference between an 18 year old at 180 than a pencil thin 164

Not that it really matters but let's not forget that Evander Kane originally didn't make Team Canada. He was cut but then there was an injury so they brought him in.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World

Kane had already been drafted when he was named to the WJC, and RNH is not 164 pounds anymore.

Ruslan Zainullin

Aug 2, 2011
Not that it really matters but let's not forget that Evander Kane originally didn't make Team Canada. He was cut but then there was an injury so they brought him in.

oh yeah, i forgot about that. it kind of does matter though, only special 17 year olds make that tournament so i was giving kane a lot of credit for it, RNHvery well may have been a replacement player on last yearsteam.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
Kane had already been drafted when he was named to the WJC, and RNH is not 164 pounds anymore.

Kane made the Thrashers the year after being drafted. He was 17 when he played for team Canada.

Ruslan Zainullin

Aug 2, 2011

no, he hadnt been drafted yet. the 2009 iihf world juniors were held december 2008 and january 2009, evander kane was drafted in the 2009 nhl entry draft held in the summer of 2009, which is later than january.

Really? Could have sworn he was drafted when he made the team. Guess I should have looked it up first

guess you should have

Last edited by a moderator:

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Tavares. RNH could wind up one great player in the end, maybe too soon to call out of fairness to him, but when Tavares puts up the numbers he has with little else to work with, but solid help developing in time next to him in Strome, Nino, and Kabanov I'd say it's him.

But who knows. There's a ton of hockey ahead of them both. Maybe they both crush their side of the league.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Are there really no stupid questions..?

its not a stupid question. There are just a lot of stupid answers in this thread.
There is not a single poster claiming that RNH is better then JT yet ppl still manage to post 4 pages of useless arguments.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad