Tavares/Marner/Hyman - Series Role

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Everyone has to be better then what they've shown. Tonight, the Tavares line has to shut down their top line AND score. Matthews line has to keep it going.

Bottom 6 can't be useless anymore.
At the beginning of the series, we were all pretty much in agreement that if the JT line could just get a "saw off" with their top line it was a win, given they rely on one line much more than we do. This would open up Matthews line and the 3rd line to get production, our depth our strength. Kadri has messed some of that up, but point still stands.

Reactions: Eye Test

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Unpopular opinion - I'm totally OK with the Tavares vs Bergeron lines cancelling each other out again.

That just means the other gamebreakers have to step up and make something happen; for me, the Leafs have more of those than Boston.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
Unpopular opinion - I'm totally OK with the Tavares vs Bergeron lines cancelling each other out again.

That just means the other gamebreakers have to step up and make something happen; for me, the Leafs have more of those than Boston.

It’s not an unpopular opinion, it’s just not what the main leafs posters on here are trying to convey.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
At the beginning of the series, we were all pretty much in agreement that if the JT line could just get a "saw off" with their top line it was a win, given they rely on one line much more than we do. This would open up Matthews line and the 3rd line to get production, our depth our strength. Kadri has messed some of that up, but point still stands.

Yeah, Matthews has been amazing but the 3rd and 4th lines have been useless. I trust the Tavares line to get production more then the others.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Marner has 1 ES point in the entire 6 games and had zero shots on net in the last 2 games.

47 goal man Tavares has 1 empty net goal in game #1 as his only goal.

These two players tonight have got to be instrumental in the offense as they're also the 2 forwards with the worst +/- on the Leafs meaning their being scored on more than they're scoring themselves.

Last edited:

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
Marner has 1 ES point in the entire 6 games and had zero shots on net in the last 2 games.

47 goal man Tavares has 1 empty net goal in game #1 as his only goal.

These two players tonight have got to be instrumental in the offense as their also the 2 forwards with the worst +/- on the Leafs meaning their being scored on more than they're scoring themselves.

Well someone clearly didn't read the thread....

Reactions: Gallagbi

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
One of things Toronto lacks is size and grit which makes room for the stars and stops them from being injured or targeted. This falls on the GM's head I'm afraid. There is no use being in denial or blaming Babcock. While many snowflake Leaf fans think you can just have 12 small, skilled guys they need to be ignored and tuned out for the good of the franchise. If we lose Game 7 it is time to be honest with ourselves and realize Colombus is just too big for us anyway.

Dubas didn’t stop Marner from getting even a single shot on net the last two games.

The Tavares-Marner line isn’t even getting out muscled....

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
....what do you think unpopular means..?
Unpopular means not with the majority. What I was stating was that it’s not the majority who are disagreeing with you, it’s the main posters on here who are( the people who post the most ). Just some advice in the future, read properly before replying rudely to posters. Cheers.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Unpopular means not with the majority. What I was stating was that it’s not the majority who are disagreeing with you, it’s the main posters on here who are( the people who post the most ). Just some advice in the future, read properly before replying rudely to posters. Cheers.

Nothing rude about my post. Stop attributing mood to a set of words on an internet page.

My point was simple - many people are saying that the Tavares line has to show up; I think the Leafs can still win tonight if both the top lines cancel each other out, because I believe the Leafs game breakers / depth can beat the Bruins, much like they did in games 3 and 5.

I expect the Matthews line to have a big night - they seem to be feeling it.

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
Well the Tavares line cancelled out the Bergeron line and also contributed our only goal yet we still lost.
Does anybody still think Babcock's shutdown approach gave us the best chance to win? (Serious question)

Reactions: Sweet Leaf

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Well the Tavares line cancelled out the Bergeron line and also contributed our only goal yet we still lost.
Does anybody still think Babcock's shutdown approach gave us the best chance to win? (Serious question)

110718.R.DG_.NANCYREMMY.jpg

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

If Freddy stops the stoppable first and third goals, it is a tie game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad