News: Tavares: "i want to stay on Long Island"

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
Not his exact words, but Lucic said something like: I want to re-sign with the kings, why even go to free agency if I already know I want to be a King. he then turned down an 8 year contract ( I believe) and signed with the Oilers for about a million more annually.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Not his exact words, but Lucic said something like: I want to re-sign with the kings, why even go to free agency if I already know I want to be a King. he then turned down an 8 year contract ( I believe) and signed with the Oilers for about a million more annually.

And if someone offered you a job to run shotgun with McDavid, you would turn them down as well?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

A bit of a different situation. Lucic was only in LA for one year.

Tavares was drafted my the islanders, played his entire career here, and is the captain here.

I agree that it doesn’t matter because most guys say they want to stay but Lucic snd Tavsres situations are completely different.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Apparently him and his agent are waiting for the salary cap for next year to be released before deciding what kind of AAV they want to push for.

Unless Tavares wants to absolutely maximize his contract, that's still a bit bizaare. If Tavares wants a 12 mil/8 yr contract I don't see any reason for the Islanders to say no.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
In before Tavares extends with NYI for 8-8.5m per season to show off his loyalty. Stamkos 2.0
Stamkos signed after only scoring 64 points. Taveres is on pace for 95. If he was looking to sign an extension he would have already.
Montreal will pay him 14 million.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
he is not resigning with the isles...this supposed new arena will not open until the fall of 2021 at the very earliest barring any lawsuits or other unforeseen events....this means that JT will want to spend the next 3 season in Brooklyn or bouncing back and forth between nassua and Brooklyn? not gonna happen, he is outta here.

Him re-signing never hinged on the Islanders getting a new arena.... that was misinformation spread by the media. It was always about the future and current health of the team.

For the Islanders, if he won't sign before the deadline, and they haven't miraculously turned into a contender, the smart move is to trade him for the best offer, but ensure there are conditional provisions in the offer where the Islanders will get extra assets if Tavares has a change of heard and re-signs with the team acquiring him rather than testing the market on July 1st. IE, maybe there are a few extra 2nds in the trade that become 1sts if Tavares re-signs with the team acquiring him.

He's not going to sign until the season/playoffs are over. This has been known from the start if you listened to what he's said.

As far as contending goes, they had some injuries and fell out of the top 3 and one point back of the 1st WC spot. If they win the next two games they're right back in the top 3. Trading him at any point now raises the white flag on this season and drastically decreases the likely hood he re-signs. Being able to offer the 8th year is a big advantage, as well as giving him the chance to stay with one team (something he's stated he wants). Trade him and both go right out the window.

John Tavares isn't going anywhere, and will re-sign with NYI before hitting free agency. You can bank on that.

Minutes after it happens, the threads about how over rated he is will start popping up again.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Stamkos signed after only scoring 64 points. Taveres is on pace for 95. If he was looking to sign an extension he would have already.

He doesn't like the spotlight, and he isn't out for money. He's turned down endorsements because he didn't want it to cut into his training. Montreal does not have a shot in hell of signing JT.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I don't think the Isles will trade Tavares as long as there is a chance to re-sign him. That extra year that they can offer that other teams can't will be critical in negotiations.

I see it getting to down to the end. He'll either sign right before July 1 (after the cap announcement) or he'll hit free agency. The closer to the end of the season, the more likely I think he'll be UFA.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Him re-signing never hinged on the Islanders getting a new arena.... that was misinformation spread by the media. It was always about the future and current health of the team.

He's not going to sign until the season/playoffs are over. This has been known from the start if you listened to what he's said.

As far as contending goes, they had some injuries and fell out of the top 3 and one point back of the 1st WC spot. If they win the next two games they're right back in the top 3. Trading him at any point now raises the white flag on this season and drastically decreases the likely hood he re-signs. Being able to offer the 8th year is a big advantage, as well as giving him the chance to stay with one team (something he's stated he wants). Trade him and both go right out the window.

John Tavares isn't going anywhere, and will re-sign with NYI before hitting free agency. You can bank on that.

Minutes after it happens, the threads about how over rated he is will start popping up again.

My gut instinct based on quotes from JT tells me his preference is to extend his contract with the Islanders. However the closer he gets to UFA the more tempting it will be to pick from amongst several new teams offering similar money.

hockeyguy1967

Aug 24, 2017
He doesn't like the spotlight, and he isn't out for money. He's turned down endorsements because he didn't want it to cut into his training. Montreal does not have a shot in hell of signing JT.
If he was not out for the money he would have resigned for 6 million so Snow could build around him. You seriously think he will take less then 12 to stay in the Island?

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
how could they pay him 14 million if he's not joining the team?

also stammer re-signed for only 8.5 because he thought he's have a great chance at winning the cup.

Reactions: Dano85

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that a big reason he's waiting for the end of the season is so he can gauge how much he should sign for in relation to the cap so the Islanders can keep other UFA's. I bet he signs for less than many people expect.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
If he was not out for the money he would have resigned for 6 million so Snow could build around him. You seriously think he will take less then 12 to stay in the Island?

He's also a big union guy and wants to do right by them, so no... I never expected him to sign for peanuts. Nice strawman though.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007

also stammer re-signed for only 8.5 because he thought he's have a great chance at winning the cup.

Bro....Montreal has like big cap space and stuff...of course he's signing there.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Hahahaha. Case closed then because most superstar players express how they don't want to resign with the club they still have a contract with. :thumbu:

hockeyguy1967

Aug 24, 2017
I doubt he is looking forward to giving the team a discount to sign there after playing like 24 playoff games in 8 years. Looks like they will most likely not get in there this year either.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Nothing is happening until the new cap is officially released.. Arena helps big time.

Aaaaand continue.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

He also keeps more of his contract because of tax laws. I seriously doubt Stamkos has a cap hit that low even while wanting to win if you put a state income tax on his contract.

I really do hope Tavares stays for Islanders fans though. He has been very loyal to them though, I won't kill him if he decides he has waited long enough and wants a change of scenery. I think I would look at it kind of like when Garnett left Minnesota in the NBA as a sports example.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
He also keeps more of his contract because of tax laws. I seriously doubt Stamkos has a cap hit that low even while wanting to win if you put a state tax on his contract.
that is true, but i don't remember anyone saying that was partially the reason why he stayed or something like that. maybe i missed it or something

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
that is true, but i don't remember anyone saying that was partially the reason why he stayed or something like that. maybe i missed it or something

I think he wanted to stay, the team around him is good and he likes living there. When people laud the discount though it is important to remember he keeps more money in Florida of his contract agreement. So is his discount really 10 million if he feels the same way in Long Island for instance? I have to think that played a factor in just how low the hometown discount looks with Stamkos.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I think he wanted to stay, the team around him is good and he likes living there. When people laud the discount though it is important to remember he keeps more money in Florida of his contract agreement. So is his discount really 10 million if he feels the same way in Long Island for instance? I have to think that played a factor in just how low the hometown discount looks with Stamkos.
yup can't argue with this

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad