News: Tavares: "i want to stay on Long Island"

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I personally don't get why he hasn't re-signed if he truly felt that way. I mean, don't these guys have agents to worry about the dirty details? Tavares stays where he has lived for sometime now, so that isn't a worry, and the money is probably what he wants at this point... Why he hasn't re-signed yet leaves me feeling weird about the whole situation.

The whole 'the player is focusing on the season first and then the contract after' excuse is exactly that and has been in the past. Not saying JT or the Islanders won't come to an agreement, but that has never made any sense. Many players sign during the season.

I agree and it’s why I get nervous. If he loves the team, the future and new arena is set in stone, and money and term won’t be a problem then what’s the wait? Hockey is a dangerous sport. You would think these guys would want to get locked in to secure thier money ASAP.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Every player always says that. Going this far into the season without signing should raise a red flag regardless of the external reasons (arena) for it happening.

Superstars rarely walk, but superstars also rarely get this far into the season without an extension. That's why the Stamkos situation was so compelling a few years back.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I'll wait until he signs a contract. I do think he'll resign, but it'll be like stamkos where he doesn't sign until the islanders season is done and sees what's around.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
If you want to stay, then sign! Unless the Islanders are low balling a contract offer? Doubt it but it's not adding up. If you don't believe in the team, you never will!

Looking at the Islanders, they have work to do before July 1st...

- $36M in projected cap space (Salary cap at a generous $80M) with 15 players already under contract. That leaves 8 players to sign to reach the 23 man roster

- Need a goalie and will still have Griess at $3.3M. Does Tavares and the Islanders believe Griess is the guy moving forward? Doubt it

- Key UFA's to sign. Tavares, Bailey, De Haan, Hickey

- Key RFA's to sign. Nelson, Pulock

Snow will have his hands full!
de haan, hickey and nelson are probably gone after this season. pulock has 9 points in 30 games this season, he shouldn't warrant a lot of money.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
I'll wait until he signs a contract. I do think he'll resign, but it'll be like stamkos where he doesn't sign until the islanders season is done and sees what's around.

I have to respectfully disagree. If he won't sign, the market for him has to be explored at the deadline. Maybe the offer suck and they keep him, but it would be irresponsible for the Islanders to let him hit July 1st without at least investigating what is out there for him.

Stamkos was an anomaly. It was shocking that he ended up re-signing with Tampa after talking to other teams.

Not that it has been reported that Tavares wants to test the market, but let's put it this way, if Tavares is intent on waiting until July 1st to hear what all the teams have to say, what value does retaining his rights have to the Islanders if they don't think they can make a run this year? Be upfront with Tavares, trade him at the deadline for a boatload of useful assets, and just like he'll do with every other team, talk to him on July 1st.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don’t know why anyone is surprised. A star player hasn’t left their home drafted team (while they’re still in their primes) since Suter and Parise left for the the Wild back in 2012

Reactions: King In Glory

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Staple is old and has bad hearing: JT said: i want to be a habs and live on Nuns' Island (Mostly rich Montrealers live there) Its a joke btw.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
I don’t know why anyone is surprised. A star player hasn’t left their home drafted team (while they’re still in their primes) since Suter and Parise left for the the Wild back in 2012

Other than Stamkos, when was the last time a franchise player made it to almost February without an extension in place?

This isn't quite the same scenario as people starting "Value Of: xxxx" threads two years before a player's contract is up. We're getting pretty late into the season, and Tavares has yet to be re-signed. As far as superstars always re-sign, this scenario is looking like it has potential to be the exception to the rule.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Nelson is RFA....someone offersheet him PLEASE :cool:

Hickey might get resigned for cheap..DeHaan on the other hand...most likely will be gone...

There is a chance for Bailey as well if he rocks up asking for more than 6 mill.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I hope he truly does and extends with the Islanders. They have spent so long being bad to average, it would be a shame to see them lose their superstar just as the rest of the team seems to be closing in on making the next step.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
In one of the most direct responses to date, John makes it clear he wants to remain an Islander.
That is not one of the most direct responses. Direct response would have been "I am staying an Islander past this season" .. His response is what most players (are allowed to) say.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Could very well be that Tavares is waiting to reach Free-Agency to pick his next team. I honestly do not know.

But for those of you who are asking: “If he wants to stay an Islander... why hasn’t he signed yet?”

Reportedly he is a very “pro union guy.” He is awaiting the salary cap numbers for next year before he signs what will be a benchmark contract.

When considering Doughty and Karlsson’s comments I can buy the idea that the union leadership is pushing these players to not sign so readily.

I have no inside information, I’m merely pointing out that there can be reasons for him not signing yet that does not include him leaving. But, it could also be that he wants to leave... :dunno:

Reactions: MartyC

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Apparently him and his agent are waiting for the salary cap for next year to be released before deciding what kind of AAV they want to push for.

That's a fair point, but if I'm the Islanders, I don't play chicken with him. I get him signed and worry about the other details later.

Whatever they do, don't give Josh Bailey that 6-7 million he might be looking for.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Other than Stamkos, when was the last time a franchise player made it to almost February without an extension in place?

This isn't quite the same scenario as people starting "Value Of: xxxx" threads two years before a player's contract is up. We're getting pretty late into the season, and Tavares has yet to be re-signed. As far as superstars always re-sign, this scenario is looking like it has potential to be the exception to the rule.

Eh, I heard Leafs fans say the same thing about Stamkos and then it happened.

Players like familiarity, and it’s not as if NYC is an undesirable pace to live. Imo it being half a decade since a star was in free agency means smart bet is he’s an Islander for the next 8 years.

Last edited:

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
he is not resigning with the isles...this supposed new arena will not open until the fall of 2021 at the very earliest barring any lawsuits or other unforeseen events....this means that JT will want to spend the next 3 season in Brooklyn or bouncing back and forth between nassua and Brooklyn? not gonna happen, he is outta here.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Eh, I heard Leafs fans say the same thing about Stamkos and then it happened.

Players like familiarity, and it’s not Sam if NYC is an undesirable pace to live. Imo it being half a decade since a star was in free agency means smart bet is he’s an Islander for the next 8 years.

It is what is is, we'll have to disagree. I do not think it is wise for the Islanders to let him test the market. I think Stamkos re-signing after doing so was an anomaly.

The Islanders can still talk to him like every other team in the few days before July 1st, so if he is going to test the market anyways, and the Islanders aren't in a playoff position, what value does keeping him at the deadline have?

For the Islanders, if he won't sign before the deadline, and they haven't miraculously turned into a contender, the smart move is to trade him for the best offer, but ensure there are conditional provisions in the offer where the Islanders will get extra assets if Tavares has a change of heard and re-signs with the team acquiring him rather than testing the market on July 1st. IE, maybe there are a few extra 2nds in the trade that become 1sts if Tavares re-signs with the team acquiring him.

pomx

May 15, 2014
He’s gonna have every team interested.. it would be stupid not to listen to offers from other teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad