Tavares Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
It's comments like this that gives Leafs fans a bad reputation. Yes there are times when it's right to give Tavares criticism, however I'm sure you weren't complaining when Tavares was scoring goals like that.

If it was a 1 year deal then he exceeded expectations. It’s a 7 year deal, which means he needs to perform at that level consistently. Year 2 he’s already taken a step back offensively and defensively. He’ll be 30 before next season starts.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If it was a 1 year deal then he exceeded expectations. It’s a 7 year deal, which means he needs to perform at that level consistently. Year 2 he’s already taken a step back offensively and defensively. He’ll be 30 before next season starts.
Part of the reason he's taken a step back offensively was the fact he missed what seven games when his finger got injured.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
He’s got to be an exceptional player for why he was brought in and at that dollar figure.
He still scored 47 goals last season and I don't think he's forgotten how to do that.

Also maybe and I'm not using this as an excuse, this year he now has a baby and things in his home life are completely different for him.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
For most of the season Matthews has taken the easier match-ups while Tavares has played vs. the other teams best and usually in more difficult situations. Matthews is the better player, but Tavares has been fine this year.

Well I guess the test is proven. He is failing against hard match ups.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
He still scored 47 goals last season and I don't think he's forgotten how to do that.

Also maybe and I'm not using this as an excuse, this year he now has a baby and things in his home life are completely different for him.
Get a soundproof room... Shouldn't cost more than 77 million.

Does his wife work or she just cashing his checks?

Reactions: Quickdraw2828

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Not that it matters but before Tavares signed it was reported his wife was accepting some job in Toronto.

However what she does is none of our business and talking about her like that it reminds me when people bashed James Reimer's wife on Twitter after Game 4 against the Bruins in the 2013 playoffs.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I don't think his personal life is really any of our business. He just has to come and play to the expectations set by his salary and position as captain.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

OppositeLocK

Nov 18, 2017
I don't think his personal life is really any of our business. He just has to come and play to the expectations set by his salary and position as captain.

Agreed. Couldn't give a crap about his personal life. If you want captaincy, big bucks, and to win, you have to come and play to expectations.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
Not that it matters but before Tavares signed it was reported his wife was accepting some job in Toronto.

However what she does is none of our business and talking about her like that it reminds me when people bashed James Reimer's wife on Twitter after Game 4 against the Bruins in the 2013 playoffs.

She should be on Mat leave no?

Tavares is working...not sure how baby should affect their situation with their means.

Not sure why baby came up...

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You brought up baby, not sure why you brought it up then...
Yes I just brought up that he had a baby so his home life has changed. I never mentioned his wife and asked what she did for a living or if she's just cashing his checks like you did.

Last edited:

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
Yes I just brought up that he had a baby so his home life has changed. I never brought his wife and asked what she did for a living or if she's just cashing his checks like you did.

Why is that because she with the baby, put that as an excuse on Tavares for not doing his job...lol

If only we could all do that.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017

If u are a dad who cares. Having a newborn changes a lot. Specially first months can be tough. If thats the reason he will find his rythm soon.

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
If u are a dad who cares. Having a newborn changes a lot. Specially first months can be tough. If thats the reason he will find his rythm soon.

those commenting on the baby stuff clearly don’t have experience or knowledge of raising and having a new born / toddler in modern times. Absolutely his life has changed. His routine has changed and family demands have increased. He also has new line mates and a new coach. on top of the demands of being the captain. Taking on added responsibilities while being a pro athlete has its challenges. Athletes are still human and are creatures of habit. Call it an adjustment period. He will find his way.

Twowingcantfly

Jul 4, 2019
those commenting on the baby stuff clearly don’t have experience or knowledge of raising and having a new born / toddler in modern times. Absolutely his life has changed. His routine has changed and family demands have increased. He also has new line mates and a new coach. on top of the demands of being the captain. Taking on added responsibilities while being a pro athlete has its challenges. Athletes are still human and are creatures of habit. Call it an adjustment period. He will find his way.
And? Should have no bearing on his game. He is the same player when he arrived here. Slow and getting slower.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Simply put, he needs to be better.

He looks like he misses Mitch Marner, which is a problem since we only have one Mitch Marner.

But, for me, he needs to put up or shut up come playoff time. He took the money, said all the things, is our captain.... Well let's f***ing go then JT.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Simply put, he needs to be better.

He looks like he misses Mitch Marner, which is a problem since we only have one Mitch Marner.

But, for me, he needs to put up or shut up come playoff time. He took the money, said all the things, is our captain.... Well let's ****ing go then JT.
He misses goal not Marner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad