Tavares Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Pretty quiet start to the season for him. We're basically a one line team at this point (the Matthews line), and that line itself takes nights off whenever it feels like it.

Hoping he can step up a bit and become reliable.

I've been watching Avs games as well and Kadri looks as good as JT on many nights, with really awful linemates most of the time.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
Pretty quiet start to the season for him. We're basically a one line team at this point (the Matthews line), and that line itself takes nights off whenever it feels like it.

Hoping he can step up a bit and become reliable.

I've been watching Avs games as well and Kadri looks as good as JT on many nights, with really awful linemates most of the time.[/QUOTE

Too depressing to think about.

I just hope this isn't the future normal for him.
Could be one of those players that age real fast.

Reactions: saffronleaf

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Is he overpaid? Yes! But they wanted him in Toronto and knew what they were getting. It is what it is.

Reactions: nyijedi

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Wish he would either get back to high levels of production or just be more impactful shift to shift, but he's been very underwhelming for me.

In terms of the fluffy stuff, the captaincy also feels like it hasn't been a natural fit. I know he wears the C but it doesn't feel like he's the captain, if that makes sense.

TopCheese

Mar 16, 2016
canada
feels like that attempt at accelerating the rebuild was the turning point to destroying it altogether
Kadri was a great 2nd line center on a great contract. My favorite leaf. There simply was no need to sign JT. Makes me depressed thinking what the team could be like with kadri at 2C and an extra 7 mil to shore up the defence and backup

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I thought he had an assist on the Toronto goal but the Scorer didn't give him one.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Kadri was a great 2nd line center on a great contract. My favorite leaf. There simply was no need to sign JT. Makes me depressed thinking what the team could be like with kadri at 2C and an extra 7 mil to shore up the defence and backup

probably would have gotten better deals on the RFAs too as "11" wouldn't be the internal benchmark yet

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Tavares in is always a huge amount of asset value.

If we don't sign Tavares, we have Kadri still*. But we don't have center depth, and we don't have anyone made redundant that we can use as a trade asset. We have cap space, but who would we use it on? It's not like there has been a huge missed opportunity on defense on the market. Extend JvR or Gardiner? They have both been brutal this season. So maybe we end up with a better backup, and another d-man who would, at best, is not be a difference maker.

Any time you get the chance to add that kind of talent, you take it. If you want to make the case that we could use that quality elsewhere, then trade Marner for a young stud on defense of a similar age. Having him allowed us that opportunity, if we wanted to take it.

* I wouldn't be so sure. If you assume the suspensions still happen, that'll continue to be an issue. Even worse, there are reports that the team was so pissed at him that they didn't even want him in the locker room.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
* I wouldn't be so sure. If you assume the suspensions still happen, that'll continue to be an issue. Even worse, there are reports that the team was so pissed at him that they didn't even want him in the locker room.
So the rest of the team was mad because Kadri was the only player playing tough and got carried away? Nice. No wonder we can't get past the first round.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
When he was signed I was more inclined to use his money on a big name D man. He's great don't get me wrong. But I wouldn't have minded Marner, Nylander, and Matthews being the offensive drivers on the team and have a legit #1 defense man (Rielly strikes me more as a 1b kinda guy).

Twowingcantfly

Jul 4, 2019
Tavares in is always a huge amount of asset value.

If we don't sign Tavares, we have Kadri still*. But we don't have center depth, and we don't have anyone made redundant that we can use as a trade asset. We have cap space, but who would we use it on? It's not like there has been a huge missed opportunity on defense on the market. Extend JvR or Gardiner? They have both been brutal this season. So maybe we end up with a better backup, and another d-man who would, at best, is not be a difference maker.

Any time you get the chance to add that kind of talent, you take it. If you want to make the case that we could use that quality elsewhere, then trade Marner for a young stud on defense of a similar age. Having him allowed us that opportunity, if we wanted to take it.

We have at least one Center on the Marlies that would be an improvement on JT maybe two. Lou Lamoriello made sure of that before the Dubas era. This team never had a problem scoring. Im afraid that is all JT is good at. And very little else.

Koolboss

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
So true, this would be a completed different team.

Reactions: Twowingcantfly
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad