Post-Game Talk: Tavares Day Delivers: Leafs win 5-2

Jackson14

Feb 23, 2013
Don't get me started on Auston Matthews. Hugely overpaid, injury prone, and like Sundin, shows up, when he wants to.

Watched willy closely tonight, nice skills really nice skills but oh my god. What a charmin soft guy.

NOT a whole of expectations for this crew in the playoffs.

I sure hope he is saving something for the playoffs. The problem is I thought he would find another gear last playoffs and it simply didn't happen. It is clear he could give more effort than he does. Honestly he seemed more well-rounded in his rookie season. People were talking about him being a future Selke winner but you would never know that these days as he lazily coasts around the ice.

Reactions: Lauro

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
why do people think that if a goalie makes some awesome saves ,it's "bailing" out the team?? YOU ARE A GOALIE!! you are supposed to make awesome saves. So, with that logic, the Canadiens, Islanders, and Oilers were terrible for making Ken Dryden, Billy Smith, and Grant Fuhr make those awesome saves all the time!? I don't understand.
You’re missing the point. Sparks WOULDN’T have made the saves and we were lucky to have a goalie who can make the saves...like an nhl goalie should.

Reactions: TML11

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Good to see Marner look like magic again. I know it was an empty net point and a lucky bounce for Zaitsev, but Marner made so many plays that I feel like a three point night was deserved in the end.

The Matthews line was rather quiet, but that's our strength. If one line is quiet, there's three more who can deal damage. Or should be, but unfortunately our third line is... well, you know.

It's not even that Marleau and Brown individually are that bad offensively, but there's just a compounding effect that kills offense. And the reason they are there is because Babcock doesn't trust Willy, no matter what. He won every single puck battle in the first period, had three slot pass interceptions, stayed tight to his man at all times throughout the game, and got the puck out of our zone every time but one when he got hold of it. He doesn't need two babysitters. He was probably our strongest player in the defensive zone tonight, and that's generally been his area of weakness before.

At some point it's time to utilize him properly. He's looked terrific for a month now, but is used like a complementary player. Coming into this season, he was a top 10 PP player. We barely use that. He's been a top line producer at even strength, but keeps getting saddled with guys who can't help create offense.

Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen has been an excellent line. Kadri brings out the best in Marleau, and Kapanen has that ability to create offense on his own through his ridiculous speed. Willy creates offense by control, by combining with linemates. He's better used with other high-skilled players.

This is sort of random but I really hate how the Leafs put Zaitsev on the PP for one year which resulted in a higher perceived value in contract negotiations. So unnecessary.
Yeah. He was the third best option at that point too. If they hadn't held Rielly back like that, Zaitsev would be a $2M player today.

Last edited:

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
Do we not have any mods on the main boards? How is the Tavares overrated thread still open but they closed my copy cap price one WHEN he got pulled today for playing like ****. But Tavares scores thread still open

It's embarrassing how little mod support we get while being the biggest fanbase with the most active users
I thought our natural counter to that was sending our most annoying posters to the main boards and all of our sane posters stay here.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Based on the one game, Petan is pretty decent but Ennis is better and Moore is way better overall than either player.

This left defense, right defense thing gets dismissed too often. Although Marincin can sort of play the right side, you can see that he's way more comfortable on the left side. Too bad for him that he's about 6th down on the depth chart for the Leafs' left side D.

Reactions: egd27

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Speaking of Marincin, he was terrific last night. Didn't get minutes, but I noticed him pretty much every shift. He held the blue line like a boss, like he usually does, but he was also ridiculous in his outlet game, delivered stretch passes like a Gardiner, and decided to play Josi in the offensive zone at one point. He looked as good tonight as he does in the AHL, which is probably not very complementary to Buffalo.

Ozhiganov on the other hand did not look very good to me at all. Bad outlet game, not very strong in the defensive zone, not much help in the other two zones. Also had the worst turnover of the game.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
why be happy about a win when they will inevitably lose again and suck once more. amirite?

ive decided to remain in a perpetual state of "mehhhh"

Reactions: hockeyes

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Do we not have any mods on the main boards? How is the Tavares overrated thread still open but they closed my copy cap price one WHEN he got pulled today for playing like ****. But Tavares scores thread still open

It's embarrassing how little mod support we get while being the biggest fanbase with the most active users

It's actually quite amusing. All those hypocrites bashing JT would have been happier than pigs in sh-t if JT signed with their team in the off season.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
I have on bone to pick with Simpson and Hughson tonight.
Naturally they should talk about the the opposing teams best player.
As was stated Eichel went 2nd in the daft to McDavid and has scored the second most points with McDavid number one.

They completely neglected to mention that Marner went 4th overall and is right there in the conversation. Total oversight and a good fun fact.
Eichel has more points because he has played more games. Going into tonight Mitch has an 11.4% shooting average compared to Eichel's 9.8%. With MM's 3 points tonight that average is even better.
The crew totally dropped the ball here where a comparison of the two players in the game would have been appropriate. Dummies!:nono::banghead: .

This is what they do. Find the opposing team's "shiny new toy" and drool over them throughout the game. Then when the Leafs get ahead it's always "what the other team needs to do to come back"

You can hear the sadness in Hughson's voice when the Leafs are winning, and the joy when they are losing.

Rogers needs Chris Cuthbert. Send these robots back out west where they belong.

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
This is what they do. Find the opposing team's "shiny new toy" and drool over them throughout the game. Then when the Leafs get ahead it's always "what the other team needs to do to come back"

You can hear the sadness in Hughson's voice when the Leafs are winning, and the joy when they are losing.

CC will never come to Rogers as he is also a football guy.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Nice to see Petan get his 1st Leaf goal.

He was a great junior player in Portland and also good player for TC and the WJC.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Pretty strange goaltending in this game as everything seemed to get through both goalies all night almost as if the puck had jello in it.

Never seen something that odd that I can remember.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada

I didn't hear that, he sounded excited when Taveras scored.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Speaking of Marincin, he was terrific last night. Didn't get minutes, but I noticed him pretty much every shift. He held the blue line like a boss, like he usually does, but he was also ridiculous in his outlet game, delivered stretch passes like a Gardiner, and decided to play Josi in the offensive zone at one point. He looked as good tonight as he does in the AHL, which is probably not very complementary to Buffalo.
I noticed all of that too. It's the frustrating thing about Marincin. He has it in him to be a very sold #6, but just can't get over the mental hump. This is definitely his last chance to prove something to the Leafs though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad