Dreger: Tavares "comfortable" with Isles, CDH or Hamonic to be moved for top-6 forward

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
IMO, Isles need BOTH. A winger for JT AND a #2 center.
Everyone knows the Islander have to add top 6 talent just like the Oilers had to add help on the backend last year. Brace yourselves to lose the trade in a vacuum but win the trade with an improved overall team

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Eberle will lead to buyers remorse and should never be considered in a trade unless the Isle feel sorry for screwing them on the Griffin Reinhart to the Edmonton Oilers

Remember the trade for the 16th and 33rd picks in the 2015 NHL Draft. The Islanders selected center Mathew Barzal with the No. 16 pick, then sent the 33rd and 72nd picks to the Tampa Bay for the 28th choice -Anthony Beauvillier.

NYI needs to stay away from Eberle (unless 50% retention) and/or focus on better Forward options ie. Duchene, Drouin, Reinhart or Galy.

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006
why? bailey had 50 points last season and lee scored 30 goals, and if you have a problem with bailey on his wing ho-sang has the capability of playing with him.

Bailey? Sorry, not my cup of coffee on the first line. He had a CAREER year. Plus, only has one more year left. I can see Ho-Sang taking that spot for sure. I'd be ok with that. i think for the isles to win sooner, they need someone more proven on his wing.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Eberle will lead to buyers remorse and should never be considered in a trade unless the Isle feel sorry for screwing them on the Griffin Reinhart to the Edmonton Oilers

Remember the trade for the 16th and 33rd picks in the 2015 NHL Draft. The Islanders selected center Mathew Barzal with the No. 16 pick, then sent the 33rd and 72nd picks to the Tampa Bay for the 28th choice -Anthony Beauvillier.

NYI needs to stay away from Eberle (unless 50% retention) and/or focus on better Forward options ie. Duchene, Drouin, Reinhart or Galy.
I have yet to see Barzal light up the NHL. The old saying "don't count your chickens before they're hatched comes to mind" especially with the Islanders track record of developing prospects (Nino, Reinhart, Strome, MDC) He could pan out and I watched a lot of him the past two seasons(Oilers prospect Bear) but Isles fans should shut up until he does something where it counts.
Oh, and to acquire those "better forward options" the Isles will be giving up Barzal ++

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
Bailey? Sorry, not my cup of coffee on the first line. He had a CAREER year. Plus, only has one more year left. I can see Ho-Sang taking that spot for sure. I'd be ok with that. i think for the isles to win sooner, they need someone more proven on his wing.

yes he had a career year in points, but wouldn't that lead you to think he could have another one next year on a line with jt? i get that bailey hasnt been the "elite" talent we expected him to be when he was drafted and many isles fans have mixed emotions about him but he's rather consistent in his game and is one of our best forwards in the defensive zone which allows tavares to be more creative on offense.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Dreger is pretty much the worst now. He should be treated exactly the same as Eklund. Wow, the Islanders will probably move a D-man for a forward!? That hasn't been discussed for the past two months at all!

but but

there confirmed that Dreger said it

So basically Dregs pulls a concept out of his Keister and this thread goes 5 pages deep because he has such great trade prediction instincts? LOL!

if it wasn't for his keen media instincts, savvy and of course being a master of click baitation, our Daren would be be an NHL GM

now that thats over with:laugh:

Kapanen + Toronto 1st 2018(T5P)

Travis Hamonic

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006
yes he had a career year in points, but wouldn't that lead you to think he could have another one next year on a line with jt? i get that bailey hasnt been the "elite" talent we expected him to be when he was drafted and many isles fans have mixed emotions about him but he's rather consistent in his game and is one of our best forwards in the defensive zone which allows tavares to be more creative on offense.

I agree that Bailey is a good all around player and not the elite talent we thought he'd be. I do like his defensive awareness. I'm not confident he can do what he did again.

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
I have yet to see Barzal light up the NHL. The old saying "don't count your chickens before they're hatched comes to mind" especially with the Islanders track record of developing prospects (Nino, Reinhart, Strome, MDC) He could pan out and I watched a lot of him the past two seasons(Oilers prospect Bear) but Isles fans should shut up until he does something where it counts.
Oh, and to acquire those "better forward options" the Isles will be giving up Barzal ++

so if barzal has a high chance of busting due to our terrible prospect development, he should have very minimal value and other teams wouldn't be interested in him no?

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
but but

there confirmed that Dreger said it

if it wasn't for his keen media instincts, savvy and of course being a master of click baitation, our Daren would be be an NHL GM

now that thats over with:laugh:

Kapanen + Toronto 1st 2018(T5P)

Travis Hamonic

Counter with Kadri for Hamonic+.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

Agreed. The Duchene/Drouin/Johnson/Chucky/Panarin level guys are the real targets here. I expect us to compete with two other Metro teams looking to add offensive firepower so they can go up against what Pittsburgh/Washington bring. Columbus seems destined to move Murray+, very similar to the Jones and Larsson trades - not quite living up to draft expectations on the team that took him but still a prized asset who should fetch one of these players. Carolina has Hanifin to dangle and will certainly get back a good forward for him as well, although lately I'm seeing Hurricane fans pull the "what if we keep Hanifin and see what Fleury+2nd can get us?" game.

Not sure Sergachev gets traded, think Montreal needs to keep him around. Anaheim and Minnesota might look to ED-eligible assets for Vatanen/Dumba/whoever, but it also wouldn't shock me to see Minnesota be right in the #2C hunt as well. Beyond that, who is there really? Tanev? Vancouver wants high value futures. Muzzin? Seen his name thrown around a bit but I really don't think the Kings move him.

Eventually, teams will start to find dance partners, and right now nobody seems to be licking their chops over acquiring JVR, Bozak, or Eberle, except of course for Leaf and Oiler fans who want the best possible return for these assets. It just makes sense that when there are higher caliber forwards available, teams would target them first. When those forwards are off the block, then it would make more sense to a team that didn't find a dance partner to acquire a more expendable forward.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011

Isles has no negative effect on Reinhart. Strome had more to do with a **** poor coach. MDC was a first year AHLer and heated up as the season progressed. Does everyone think Anthony Mantha was developed poorly?

Were Hamonic, De Haan, Lee, Ho-Sang, Cizikas all developed poorly? Player development is a poor argument. Barzal if the 2015 draft was redone would easily be a top 10 pick (McDavid, Eichel, Marner as top 3, Werenski, Provorov, Rantanen, with NHL success, then would easily be a 7-10 selection) with the way he ahs developed since. No chikcens ar ebeing counted, but trading one of the ebst prospects in the NHL isn't necessary to acquiring a 2C.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
so if barzal has a high chance of busting due to our terrible prospect development, he should have very minimal value and other teams wouldn't be interested in him no?
Well luckily he hasn't spent much time in the Isles system :sarcasm: haha

Isles has no negative effect on Reinhart. Strome had more to do with a **** poor coach. MDC was a first year AHLer and heated up as the season progressed. Does everyone think Anthony Mantha was developed poorly?

Were Hamonic, De Haan, Lee, Ho-Sang, Cizikas all developed poorly? Player development is a poor argument. Barzal if the 2015 draft was redone would easily be a top 10 pick (McDavid, Eichel, Marner as top 3, Werenski, Provorov, Rantanen, with NHL success, then would easily be a 7-10 selection) with the way he ahs developed since. No chikcens ar ebeing counted, but trading one of the ebst prospects in the NHL isn't necessary to acquiring a 2C.
Excuses, Excuses, Excuses.....although if you can find the 2011 draft thread I have always disliked G.Reinhart even as an Oil King

You might want to poll teams with 2C's and see how they feel about trading their player for scraps(which is all I've seen Isles fans willing to give up for a 2C/1RW

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005

Excuses, Excuses, Excuses.....although if you can find the 2011 draft thread I have always disliked G.Reinhart even as an Oil King

You might want to poll teams with 2C's and see how they feel about trading their player for scraps(which is all I've seen Isles fans willing to give up for a 2C/1RW

Hamonic and CDH, two top 4 Dmen, are now scraps?

Isles offering Hamonic/CDH/Pulock + Strome/Nelson/MDC/Bellows + 1st is hardly a bad trade for Duchene who is coming off a bad year and is owed 6 million.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Eberle @ 25% retention + for Hamonic, Strome

lots a smoke around this...

One I would try is:

Eberle + Pouliot @ 50% retained for Hamonic + Strome.

Pouliot as a 2.5M cap is a good addition imo.

Eberle with 25% retained for Hamonic is fair. If the Oilers want Strome as well, remove Pouliot, remove the 25% retention, and add Nurse.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Hamonic and CDH, two top 4 Dmen, are now scraps?

Isles offering Hamonic/CDH/Pulock + Strome/Nelson/MDC/Bellows + 1st is hardly a bad trade for Duchene who is coming off a bad year and is owed 6 million.

He's just an Oilers fan who wants to talk about how much every player on the Islanders sucks. The fans who can only argue this aren't really worth addressing as there really is nothing productive in what they're saying.

"Everyone knows the Islanders are desperate therefore they're gonna heavily lose any trade they make" into "Barzal has proven absolutely nothing and has little trade value" into "Hamonic and DeHaan are table scraps that nobody else wants". We get it. Go back to saying how high of a return Eberle will get.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011

I don't need to make an excuse for a skinny 20 year old who just played his first pro season who went 7-15-22 in 31 games after starting the season with 8-11-19 in 44 games. At the end of the day, he didn't drop anyone's jaw but he is developing at the normal rate for a skill guy who isn't quite built for the NHL yet. Once again, Anthony Mantha was a tall skinny guy when he was drafted and struggled early inte AHL. Improved every year over the course of 2+ season and then scored at a 20+ goal rate as an NHL rookie. Let's quit it now. Can talka bout Isles drafting if you want but the players you mentioned outside of Niederreiter can not be used in an argument to disparage Isles' "player development."

You can't poll every team because most teams are not in a position where they'd entertain trading a top 6 player. The ones that are though will give a highly biased opinion because fans tend to overvalue their own players ESPECIALLY when they are the ones dealing the best player fopr pieces.

IDK what scraps you're referring to but a young top 4 defenseman is a valuable asset for any team. Add in a middle 6 young forward who already has NHL success, and a 1st, and you'd have a very solid package that ashould be able to acquire any 2C in the league. Problem is people are valuing Duchene as if he was a 3rd overall pick who went 105-158-263 in his first 5 seasons (337 games, 26 g/82, 64 p/82) and not the player who has averaged 24 G/82 and 54 p/82) over his last 3. Not an ideal trajectory or statline for a guy who should be in/entering his prime, has a 6 million cap hit, and the Avs want a king's ransom for. Now that is how someone should evaluate Duchene, so let us not begin on Eberle.

In an Eberle for Hamonic/De Haan swap, the EDM will be the only ones with the "+" next to their player.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
He's just an Oilers fan who wants to talk about how much every player on the Islanders sucks. The fans who can only argue this aren't really worth addressing as there really is nothing productive in what they're saying.

"Everyone knows the Islanders are desperate therefore they're gonna heavily lose any trade they make" into "Barzal has proven absolutely nothing and has little trade value" into "Hamonic and DeHaan are table scraps that nobody else wants". We get it. Go back to saying how high of a return Eberle will get.
:nopity:
don't put words in my mouth. Either quote me directly or go back under your bridge

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
:nopity:
don't put words in my mouth. Either quote me directly or go back under your bridge

seems to me that you don't like the isles bud.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Everyone knows the Islander have to add top 6 talent just like the Oilers had to add help on the backend last year. Brace yourselves to lose the trade in a vacuum but win the trade with an improved overall team

Pretty darn insightful post.

Now count on Duchene and Eberle coming to the Isles like when snow traded for Boychuk and Leddy on the same day in 2014.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00