Dreger: Tavares "comfortable" with Isles, CDH or Hamonic to be moved for top-6 forward

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
https://www.sny.tv/islanders/news/r...ling-to-wait-on-islanders-extension/234907390

http://islandersinsight.com/islanders/report-islanders-get-potential-good-news-on-tavares-front.html

John Tavares is now more willing to wait on an extension with the Islanders, according to Darren Dreger of TSN.

Tavares and his agent, Pat Brisson, feel more comfortable with the general direction of the Islanders, from their new home to what their plans are to build the team into a contender.

Dreger went on to add that a large factor on Tavares' future with the Islanders depends on what pieces GM Garth Snow is able to add in the near future. With New York unable to protect all four of their young defenders from the expansion draft, Dreger believes either Calvin de Haan or Travis Hamonic will be traded. If the Islanders can acquire a top-six forward for one of those players, that could go a long way in helping convince Tavares to sign a long-term extension.

Seems like the rumored swap of CDH or Hamonic for a forward is close to being a certainty. Lots of hfboards speculation about a trade with that framework but I believe this is the first time a legit insider has gone on record about it.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
What happens if Tavares doesn't like the trade?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
They will try to make him happy. Hamonic for Panarin, for example... Pitty it won't happen.

IMO, he's either staying or not. I doubt very much he will look at a trade and think "I'm outta here".

Like almost all top UFA's, he stays put.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Leafs are likely interested, but the price and whether De Haan is a good fit as a top pairing RD beside Rielly are the questions.

Hamonic is probably too expensive for the Leafs.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Yep that must be their dream scenario.

Gotta think Nurse would be going the other way as well. I'd still probably do it if I was the Oilers.

Nurse has a lot more value than a throw-in to a deal that we're retaining on. I honestly think Chia sees him as a long term fit going forward, not to mention that he's expansion draft exempt.

Eberle at $4.5 million has good value.

Zenon Konopka Jr

May 19, 2017
NYC
Leafs are likely interested, but the price and whether De Haan is a good fit as a top pairing RD beside Rielly are the questions.

Can we not have 5 pages of proposals involving JVR so we don't have to explain we don't need LW and we say we want Kadri and you say he's off limits

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007

Isles and Leafs fans already had a discussion and it went fairly well but with the conclusion that neither side would give up their guy.

(The Leafs' guy was Kadri)

Also, CDH is a LD. Very solid #3 but I wouldn't put him on the right side.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I would think that Hamonic being dealt may actually concern Tavares.

Anyways JVR is available (if you ask our fanbase) NYI fans, if you want to make a proposal :) I think with him being from around the NJ area may help in any extension talks.

I think Tavares likes being a NYI and seems like a loyal guy, I would bet on him staying.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Eberle @ 25% retention + for Hamonic, Strome

lots a smoke around this...

One I would try is:

Eberle + Pouliot @ 50% retained for Hamonic + Strome.

Pouliot as a 2.5M cap is a good addition imo.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Nurse has a lot more value than a throw-in to a deal that we're retaining on. I honestly think Chia sees him as a long term fit going forward, not to mention that he's expansion draft exempt.

Eberle at $4.5 million has good value.

Ya but Hamonic at 3.9M has way more value.

Half the teams in the league should be in on Hamonic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad