Dreger: Tavares "comfortable" with Isles, CDH or Hamonic to be moved for top-6 forward

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
So we're probably aiming for one of Duchene/RNH/TyJo/Galychenyuk with the inevitability of settling for Eberle and Bozak.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
If by other drawbacks, you mean the lack of physicality, lack of grit, lack of board play, and less-than-stellar defensive awareness (though he's been better lately) then you need to look no further than Eberle never being that player. He's a finesse-style offensive forward. He's never been anything but that.

As a second liner - topping out around 50-55 points - he's overpaid. If he can be moved to a team in which he has chemistry with the star players (didn't pan out with McDavid, but played well when he and Hall were the primary producers, maybe would play well with Tavares?) he may be able to get back up to the 30+ goal and 65+ point scorer he should be and would be well worth his contract.

Although Eberle has more talent and a smaller frame, Brock Nelson, although young and good for 20-25 goals a year is someone Isles fans rightfully are fed up with. Huge lack of defensive awareness, in ability to use his size in the dirty areas, elite shot that he can't use unless space is created for him. etc. A player with offensive talent who lacks in other areas is someone Isles fans are just about dying to package in a trade, regardless of the 20 goals he brings. Eberle is more talented, no question. but I just don't think a very incomplete forward is gonna be a guy the Isles really target unless it is a last resort. I'd trade for RNH over Eberle 9/10 times.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
This non-Sens fan would disagree with you too

Guy just studded it up for you all playoffs and you're gonna ship him for a slowly regressing Hamonic?

Hamonic had an injury riddled year and wa sutilized horribly by a jackwagon coach. Had a rough year but to say Hamonic is regressing after getting better every year until he struggled last year is straight foolish.

If Isles got Hoffman for Hamonic, yes would be a steal for the Isles, but point remains...

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Hamonic had an injury riddled year and wa sutilized horribly by a jackwagon coach. Had a rough year but to say Hamonic is regressing after getting better every year until he struggled last year is straight foolish.

If Isles got Hoffman for Hamonic, yes would be a steal for the Isles, but point remains...

You listen to the Michael Kay show too? :laugh:

The Isles shouldn't be dealing any d-men, they seem to be the most valuable commodity in the NHL these days. You need to go 8-10 deep to make it through an entire season and then the playoffs, if you make it in.

I think they should be protecting 5 d-men, the usual suspects. It's the backbone of the team. Hickey Mouse can go though. :)

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Don't put Bozak in the same boat as Eberle.

They're both constantly being offered to Isles fans because they're disposable and EDM and TO fans would be fine with getting rid of them to fill other needs. They're in the same boat and be thankful I didn't add JVR to that list.

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005

The Isles shouldn't be dealing any d-men, they seem to be the most valuable commodity in the NHL these days. You need to go 8-10 deep to make it through an entire season and then the playoffs, if you make it in.

I think they should be protecting 5 d-men, the usual suspects. It's the backbone of the team. Hickey Mouse can go though. :)

Agreed. I would protect the following

JT
Lee
Laad

Hamonic
Leddy
CDH
Boychuk
Pulock

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011

Think that's a no brainer. Don't understand Isles fans wanting to protect Nelson/Strome. If you protect one, you might lose the other anyway OR a top defenseman. You protect 5 D, you guarantee you won't lose any D and they will still only get one of Nelson/Strome. Only way to portect both those players is to work out a deal with Vegas, or maybe vegas doesn't even want them.

Only way trading a dman makes sense is if it is in a deal for a legit 2C. Then you can protect 4/4, can still try to protect another forward with a Vegas trade, and you don't lose out on one of the 5 dmen for squat.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
Think Bozak is a solid player who can help a lot of teams, but don't think he's a 2C on any contender

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
Think that's a no brainer. Don't understand Isles fans wanting to protect Nelson/Strome. If you protect one, you might lose the other anyway OR a top defenseman. You protect 5 D, you guarantee you won't lose any D and they will still only get one of Nelson/Strome. Only way to portect both those players is to work out a deal with Vegas, or maybe vegas doesn't even want them.

Only way trading a dman makes sense is if it is in a deal for a legit 2C. Then you can protect 4/4, can still try to protect another forward with a Vegas trade, and you don't lose out on one of the 5 dmen for squat.

most of us are pretty comfortable with 5 d, staple said he thinks nelson is gonna be protected in one of his mailbags though.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Think Bozak is a solid player who can help a lot of teams, but don't think he's a 2C on any contender

He's a nice player. He's also one year away from UFA and 31 years old (and will want a 5-6 year deal), and Leafs fans have been stopping by to ask for Hamonic in exchange for Bozak and prospects.

EDIT: I didn't even realize this but Bozak also has a 12 team trade list. So there's an additional question of whether we're on that list.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I think JVR for Hamonic as the basis of a deal works well.

Islanders don't need another left wing to go with the 6 they currently have. Bad asset management trading for a guy who doesn't fill a need and is a UFA in 1 year.

All that being said JVR for Islanders first and Ladd :P

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
The thing with Hamonic or de Haan is for JvR is that NYI doesn't fill a their hole and 2C and creates a hole in the top four.

I think NYI is willing to "create a hole" in the top four if they are actually filling another, which JvR does not do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad