Value of: Tavares and de Haan package

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Time will tell.
Meanwhile, fanboy Dreger reports a team willing to pay $15m per season.
The Leaf fans can pencil Tavares in at $9.5m- $10m on the 3rd line.
I am sure Tavares dream is the 3rd line and screwing over the union, by leaving millons per season on the table.
I get what you’re saying. We’ll see.

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
What would the NYI want from the Leafs for a package consisting of rights to Tavares (so we can sign him to 8 years) and Calvin de Haan.

First round pick in 2018, Matt Martin and ?

?????????? 5th rounders for both. Also, can you explain how the leafs will be able to afford JT at between 8 to 10 a year for 8 years and CDH at about 4 to 5 a year for say 6 years? If you look at the past few years. Soon to be UFA were traded usually for a 4th or 5th (mostly a 5th I think)

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
2019-20
Salary cap: 85M
Salary: 84.263M

Hyman(2.25) Matthews(10) Nylander(6.5)
Marleau(6.25) Kadri(4.5) Marner(6.5)
Johnsson(1.25) Tavares(10) Brown(2.1)
Grundstrom(.925) Aaltonen(1) Kapanen(1.5)
Leivo(1)

Rielly(5) Doughty(9)
Dermott(.863) Zaitsev(4.5)
Borgman(1.5) Carrick(1.5)
Liljegren(.925)

Andersen(5)
Sparks(1)

Kessel (1.2)

Cap will be 78 to 80 not 85

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Time will tell.
Meanwhile, fanboy Dreger reports a team willing to pay $15m per season.
The Leaf fans can pencil Tavares in at $9.5m- $10m on the 3rd line.
I am sure Tavares dream is the 3rd line and screwing over the union, by leaving millons per season on the table.

Dredger said similar about stamkos, then mcdavid. He also said Matthews will make 13-14.

Do you honestly believe he will ask for 15 million?

Who can pay that and be competitive?

Sharks? Vlasic, burns, Tavares for 30’mill?
Montreal? Tavares, Webber, price for 32?
Nashville? Subban, Tavares, Johanssen for 32?

My bet is 12 or under.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

Asking and expecting to get paid are 2 different things :P

All that being said as the cap goes up I am guessing top end players salaries will increase while 4M dollar players will become 4.2M dollar players

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Dredger said similar about stamkos, then mcdavid. He also said Matthews will make 13-14.

Sharks? Vlasic, burns, Tavares for 30’mill?
Montreal? Tavares, Webber, price for 32?
Nashville? Subban, Tavares, Johanssen for 32?

My bet is 12 or under.
The report was not that Tavares would ask for $15m per. Dreger's comment was that he would be offered $15m per.
And yes, I do think a team like Montreal with no #1 center or bluechip center prospect, with more $ then sense , will offer to wildly overpay Tavares. Does not mean he would accept the Montreal offer ,but his rep would not be doing his job if he did not use that type of offer to drive up offers from other teams..

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
The report was not that Tavares would ask for $15m per. Dreger's comment was that he would be offered $15m per.
And yes, I do think a team like Montreal with no #1 center or bluechip center prospect, with more $ then sense , will offer to wildly overpay Tavares. Does not mean he would accept the Montreal offer ,but his rep would not be doing his job if he did not use that type of offer to drive up offers from other teams..

I have to listen to dredger everyday on sports radio. He wildily over speculates on contracts all the time. I have never seen one of his predictions of offers being the actual price....... like even close.

We will see but I doubt Tavares signs for anywhere near that on a long term deal.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I have to listen to dredger everyday on sports radio. He wildily over speculates on contracts all the time. I have never seen one of his predictions of offers being the actual price....... like even close.

We will see but I doubt Tavares signs for anywhere near that on a long term deal.
See my post above regarding Montreal without a #1 center or bluechip center prospect.
Tavares will be offered well above the Leaf fan's suggested $9.5m.

PensRedwings2887

Dec 1, 2010
What would the NYI want from the Leafs for a package consisting of rights to Tavares (so we can sign him to 8 years) and Calvin de Haan.

First round pick in 2018, Matt Martin and ?

My guess is one of Nylander or Marner goes the other way for a starting point, TML's 2 best prospects and a 1st for starters

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
My guess is one of Nylander or Marner goes the other way for a starting point, TML's 2 best prospects and a 1st for starters

What??? No team trades there a couple of their best young players for "rights". Even if it is a sign and trade. And really who are the Leafs competing against? If JVR wants to be a Leaf, the Leafs aren't really bidding against any team. You would think if Tavares wants to play on a Cup contending team he would want the Leafs to have all the best players they can accumulate. If he wants to the be about the only above average player on a team, he might as well stay an Islander.
I don't know what people don't understand about free agency.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Asking and expecting to get paid are 2 different things :P

All that being said as the cap goes up I am guessing top end players salaries will increase while 4M dollar players will become 4.2M dollar players

You're right. Just because the cap goes up 4m, it doesn't mean that one player gets it all. I'm guessing Tavares has no real interest in signing with Montreal, but if the money was really stupid high....he might.
Of course in time, if the team isn't good, he'll have "signers regret" despite the money.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
You would think if Tavares wants to play on a Cup contending team he would want the Leafs to have all the best players they can accumulate. If he wants to the be about the only above average player on a team, he might as well stay an Islander.

Yeah, that Barzal guy certainly has to be classified as an average player.

The Leafs have "all the best players" while Barzal cannot even be called above average with 85 points as a rookie.

Reactions: PWJunior

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State

Avalanche need to spend some money to reach the cap floor. Maybe they offer a 1 year 15 million deal. Kind of a see if the chemistry works then sign long term.

Bonesy9

Feb 13, 2018
I think JT gets 11x7 when it's done

This seems reasonable to me.

I still have Florida as my darkhorse. I know they have tonnes of depth at C but they have the tax benefit and a great core. Would 10 mil from Florida be more appealing than 12 mil from Colorado?

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
This seems reasonable to me.

I still have Florida as my darkhorse. I know they have tonnes of depth at C but they have the tax benefit and a great core. Would 10 mil from Florida be more appealing than 12 mil from Colorado?
Tavares and Barkov would be ridiculous. It's a fair point with the taxes when it comes to actual money in his pocket. Personally I think Tavares stays in the east either with the islanders or a new team......

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00