Value of: Tavares and de Haan package

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Tavares and Matthews both get 9.5 x 8.
There was a report, I think from Dreger , that he thought a team was prepared to offer Tavares $15m per.
Even if that offer was rejected ,his rep would use the offer to drive up salary from other teams.

Do not see Tavares signing for $9.5m and do not bother with the endorsement argument. Tavares is a union supporter and will not hurt the union or other players by leaving millions per season on the table.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Would rather not bother with Tavares and trade a pick, like a conditional 7th for de haan's rights.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Also heard that while outside of the norm..a team could offer a 1 year 15 mill contract to JT, the follow up with a full 8 year contract at a more palatable salary.

Reactions: PhiladelphiaKessel

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Draisaitl+Klefbom+$25 Tim Hortons gift card for rights to Tavares and De Haan

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Hasn't he already said he and Karlsson deserved considerably more then Subban's $9m?

Oh let me guess...he will leave millions per season on the table,to play in Toronto?
1. Players can say whatever they want but they have to actually get those contracts. Maybe he wants more from LA to stay and play there where as other he might play for other teams for a bit cheaper.

2. He may take less money to play for a great team. And to clarify I’m not saying Toronto is that team.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
1. Players can say whatever they want but they have to actually get those contracts. Maybe he wants more from LA to stay and play there where as other he might play for other teams for a bit cheaper.

2. He may take less money to play for a great team. And to clarify I’m not saying Toronto is that team.

With the cap rising,I have little doubt that the top ufa Tavares will get offered well beyond $9.5m per.

And I expect next summer, that Doughty and Karlsson will also be offered huge contracts if they get to July 1st and have not signed extensions

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Repeat post

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
With the cap rising,I have little doubt that the top ufa Tavares will get offered well beyond $9.5m per.

And I expect next summer, that Doughty and Karlsson will also be offered huge contracts if they get to July 1st and have not signed extensions
They have absolutely earned that right to do so. I just think there are other reasons as to why they may take less on a contract.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
For their rights? Nobody is giving up anything significant for a players rights.

The only way I can see it is if Tavares informs the isles he will not be coming back and he gets permission to talk to another team and agrees to an 8 year deal with that team who then trades for his rights.

Otherwise, just wait until the tampering window and take your best shot.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
2019-20
Salary cap: 85M
Salary: 84.263M

Hyman(2.25) Matthews(10) Nylander(6.5)
Marleau(6.25) Kadri(4.5) Marner(6.5)
Johnsson(1.25) Tavares(10) Brown(2.1)
Grundstrom(.925) Aaltonen(1) Kapanen(1.5)
Leivo(1)

Rielly(5) Doughty(9)
Dermott(.863) Zaitsev(4.5)
Borgman(1.5) Carrick(1.5)
Liljegren(.925)

Andersen(5)
Sparks(1)

Kessel (1.2)

Tavares is about 2 spots too low on your depth chart.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
They have absolutely earned that right to do so. I just think there are other reasons as to why they may take less on a contract.
Time will tell.
Meanwhile, fanboy Dreger reports a team willing to pay $15m per season.
The Leaf fans can pencil Tavares in at $9.5m- $10m on the 3rd line.
I am sure Tavares dream is the 3rd line and screwing over the union, by leaving millons per season on the table.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Sit back and watch the magic :naughty:

I don't think he signs in Toronto but if he did my guess is Marner and more likely Nylander are traded.

I also believe Marleau's contract makes it easy to trade him in the 3rd year so that would be a way to free up capspace for Matthews and Marner

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
There was a report, I think from Dreger , that he thought a team was prepared to offer Tavares $15m per.
Even if that offer was rejected ,his rep would use the offer to drive up salary from other teams.

Do not see Tavares signing for $9.5m and do not bother with the endorsement argument. Tavares is a union supporter and will not hurt the union or other players by leaving millions per season on the table.
That 15 million offer will probably be from montreal but still I can't see JT going there

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
You could if you want to cheap out on your defense
The leafs have enough smaller contracts. With expiring contracts this year and the next 2 to open up that cap space I expect Rielly Dermott Liljegren and Zaitsev going forward with the other two spots open. Can't see Gardiner resigned. The leafs would be fine to work on the defense....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad